The Tartan Tie

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
rodes

Sun Oct 04, 2020 6:13 pm

Now that cool weather is approaching, I renew my advocacy for this fine wool tie, Traditional, yet colorful, formal or casual, universally acceptable, It holds a knot better than any silk. You can get it in literally hundreds of patterns and colors. One third the cost of silk. Always stylish,
andy57

Sun Oct 04, 2020 7:16 pm

It is, of course, a matter of personal preference, but I find wool and cashmere ties to be uncomfortable. Warm around my neck and rather bulky.
alden

Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:04 am

I don't own a tartan tie, but I am a big fan of wool ties. With tweeds and flannels I will pretty much always wear a wool tie or knitted silk. Silk ties are pretty much reserved for worsteds.

The trick with wool ties is the knot. You have to knot wool very loosely, so it just hangs around the neck, is not at all tight and, as a consequence, does not feel like a hot compress after half an hour. The trouble for some people is that knotting in this manner (with wool that is often thick anyway) nearly always means a rather large knot. I like larger knots and my shirts all have ample tie space in the collar, so it's more of an advantage to me. But it is something to keep in mind.

And, just for the record, you will never see me wearing a suit without a tie. Because I think the shirt collar and tie are the most important vectors in dress once you have well fitted clothing tailored from excellent cloth. I will very, very occasionally go tieless with an odd jacket, but I prefer ties, ascots or a roll neck jumper. My advice is to cover your gangly, blanched necks always...and until further notice. Thanks.

Cheers
davidhuh

Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:30 am

alden wrote:
The trick with wool ties is the knot. You have to knot wool very loosely, so it just hangs around the neck, is not at all tight and, as a consequence,
Yess - that's the recipe 8)
Cheers, David
andy57

Mon Oct 05, 2020 2:48 pm

davidhuh wrote:
Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:30 am
alden wrote:
The trick with wool ties is the knot. You have to knot wool very loosely, so it just hangs around the neck, is not at all tight and, as a consequence,
Yess - that's the recipe 8)
Cheers, David
Still no. I'm quite happy with silk and linen. 😊
  • Information