Smart-casual hell

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
couch

Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:15 pm

You can find many images of candid "street fashion" and high fashion from the first three decades of the 20th century on the French Riviera, Deauville, Paris, etc. by searching on Les Freres Seeberger, among others.

Not only were suits common, but a well-dressed woman wouldn't think of strolling the boardwalk without her cheetah:

hectorm

Fri Jul 07, 2017 10:17 pm

uppercase wrote:Jeans and a white shirt. Jeans and a T shirt. Jeans and blazer.
You really don't need anything else on the riviera.
Or anywhere else for that matter …??
Something to consider.
I gave it some consideration and something regarding "jeans and T shirt as all it's needed on the Riviera" didn't feel right.
Then it hit me.
May I ask what your wife -by your side- is wearing while you're going up and down all day in your T shirt and blue jeans? Is she still wearing the same cropped yoga pants and sleeveless top she wore to her class that morning? No, probably she has changed into a beautiful Rainbow Warrior caftan over her swimsuit to go to the beach. Or perhaps she has changed into a linen pant suit to go to the Chagall museum. Wait a minute, aren't you both finally meeting for drinks with her long-lost roommate from her times at the finishing school in Switzerland?
You see, maybe the Riviera can take me in a T shirt and blue jeans. My wife would not, even if I hid it under a blazer. Sometimes it's not the general environment but the company you keep. I know I'm not running into Capucine or Grace Kelly strolling the Promenade des Anglais, but I still need to pack some other stuff. :D
Noble Savage

Thu Aug 03, 2017 2:22 am

Bell, Bird, and Blazer. Yes, they are jeans, but they aren’t blue (nor are they red). A hot day in Washington, DC.
hectorm

Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:56 pm

Noble Savage wrote:Image
A hot day in Washington, DC.
Seeing your picture in front of Union Station reminded me that, on the mezzanine level of the station, lost in a corner amongst the usual mall chain shops, you can find Andrew's ties. And small old-fashioned haberdashery, a franchise of the Milanese store which has its flagship location at the Galleria Vittorio Emanuele. They carry a good selection of Italian ties, but what it really makes a visit worth while is their silk ascots, neckerchiefs and cravats. Difficult items to find nowadays. The manager is a true gentleman, which makes it all even more pleasant to just drop by. I don't know how much longer a shop like this can open for business in DC.
Noble Savage

Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:45 pm

:D
  • Information