Armed Forces Funeral

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
rodes

Thu Oct 10, 2013 3:15 am

We have often spoken on the loss of our sense of occasion in present society. No where is this more apparent, lamentable, shameful even than United States Army pall bearers dressed in battle dress uniform, i.e. camouflage, white gloves added, and carrying flag draped coffins of the fallen at Dover Air Force Base. It seems to me, that this is the one ceremony above all others that warrants the Army dress uniform.
used2Bwegimental

Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:18 am

Agreed. The Army today clings to the misguided conception that all concerned will be more aware of our engagement in and dedication to win foreign wars, if everyone wears their 'war suit'. In the 10 + years of war, a majority of Soldiers have gained weight living at major installations in the war zone. Contractors established Burger King, Dunkin Donuts, Baskin Robbins, etc. in the name of morale. I do not begrudge the troops comfort food from home, but those who patronize fast food soon resemble the Pillsbury Dough boy. From the senior generals right on down, out of shape Soldiers can hide more under the loose fitting combat uniforms.
The Army 'retired' the green service uniform and spent tens of millions to replace it with the smarter, historic Army Dress Blue uniform. One of the stated reasons for this expense was to raise troop morale. It seems not be working very well. As you have made the point, the Army Blue is not worn as often as it was intended.

My observations are based on 28 years in the US Army, mostly as the loyal opposition.
  • Information