are you Britain's best-dressed man?

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
Manself

Thu May 06, 2010 10:55 am

Please forgive this product placement but as Esquire UK's style editor I'd like to bring to the attention of the Lounge's British members the fact that my magazine is currently searching for the best dressed real man in Britain. You can read all about it, and the big prize, here:
www.esquire.co.uk/are-you-britains-best-dressed-man

I know that we Loungers are predominantly a reticent bunch but it would be great to see some entries for men who favour classic style - and so show the rest of them how to do it!

Manself
storeynicholas

Thu May 06, 2010 11:25 am

It is still (in late Autumn) warm and sunny here and the sea, in this month, is at its aquamarine best but leaving behind the cold and the wet has (as I have mentioned before), various prices on its head and one of them is becoming disqualified from such things as: receiving free NHS treatment (with its possibility of leaving hospital in a worse state than one went in); participating in the national lottery (a total waste of time, of course, but a single entry a week always with the same 'lucky numbers' can become a small compulsion and a cheap thrill) and the opportunity (as Manself hints), to struggle to overcome our famous knotted-up reticence and enter competitions such as this. It will, actually, be interesting to follow the shortlist and see the final result; nearly as much for the fascination of identifying those who can unknot themselves enough to enter as for seeing the overall winner! :shock:
NJS
culverwood

Thu May 06, 2010 2:42 pm

It really is difficult to put oneself forward for this sort of thing:
What would the wife say?
How would yours friends rib you?
Do they really want older men?

There are not many of us who will open ourselves up for criticism from a friendly and unfriendly audience here and probably less in a public arena.
storeynicholas

Thu May 06, 2010 3:14 pm

These are some of the things, culverwood, but there is the indefinable knottiness too...Maybe, we should nominate eligible candidates and then they have no choice but then there is the question of asking them whether they mind because they might feel bound to say "yes". It's rather like offering a British hostess a small gift. More often than not she will say the words "Oh! But you really shouldn't have..." If you offer the same to (say) an Italian, Spanish or Greek hostess she will give you a hug. :wink:
NJS.
Jordan Marc

Sun May 23, 2010 7:18 pm

Francis:

Trainers and baseball caps, on a man with a grown child? No one over the age of six should wear a ball cap!
Sounds like dear old dad is going through a life change. What you must do is get him back to a semblance of his former self, aka as the ploy that begins with the exasperated exclimation: "Oh, for the love of ... Snap out of it!" Take pater hat shopping and spring for a fedora or a trilby, then burn the kiddie cap. Tell him the pampered pet of the family tore it apart and buried it at the foot of the garden. Chances are your once well-dressed father has any number of pairs of shoes that have been neglected of late. Round them up and take them to the bootmaker to be rejuvenated and properly polished. Add some good-looking hosiery as a token gift, anything but those garish argyles that I suspect your father may have been sporting of late. And do spend some time with your father, especially if you have a shared interest or two.

JMB
  • Information