your favorite stylish moment on a movie?

"He had that supreme elegance of being, quite simply, what he was."

-C. Albaret describing Marcel Proust

Style, chic, presence, sex appeal: whatever you call it, you can discuss it here.
garu

Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:11 am

marcelo wrote:
Cufflink79 wrote:The Great Gatsby (1974) = Jay Gatsby throwing his shirts into the air for Daisy.
Daisy bent her head into the shirts and began to cry stormily.

“They’re such beautiful shirts,” she sobbed, her voice muffled in the thick folds. “It makes me sad because I’ve never seen such—such beautiful shirts before.”

(F. Scott Fitzgerald: The Great Gatsby, chapter 5)
Well, she is a girl...
garu

Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:16 am

As mentioned in a different thread (http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/vie ... 7&start=45), the whole of Brideshead Revisited (the television series, not the cinema release) is filled with style.

Sun Jan 25, 2009 1:35 am

the blue suit with waistcoat on Get Carter.

Nazi uniforms on The Night Porter.
storeynicholas

Sun Jan 25, 2009 2:22 am

santy567 wrote:the blue suit with waistcoat on Get Carter.

Nazi uniforms on The Night Porter.
One has to admit that the Germans have ever been good on uniforms. Here, ashore in Monte Video, is Hans Langsdorf, captain of the pocket battleship the Admiral Graf Spee, outrun by 3 little RN cruisers, just along the coast from here, in the early days of the second world war:

[img][img]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg55 ... gsdorf.jpg[/img]

Ordered to scuttle the ship, rather than have her comprehensively beaten in a final battle, he buried his dead, sank his ship and shot himself. These days, men in charge of disasters seldom even resign...
NJS[/img]

Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:00 am

i also like the shower scene on Charade. and Cary Grant by the door on Notorious, nice silhouette.
marcelo

Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:22 pm

marcelo wrote:
Cufflink79 wrote:The Great Gatsby (1974) = Jay Gatsby throwing his shirts into the air for Daisy. The shirts wear from T&A.
For the sartorially conscious man, one of the most inspiring passages in the American literature.

Recovering himself in a minute he opened for us two hulking patent cabinets which held his massed suits and dressing-gowns and ties, and his shirts, piled like bricks in stacks a dozen high.
“I’ve got a man in England who buys me clothes. He sends over a selection of things at the beginning of each season, spring and fall.”

He took out a pile of shirts and began throwing them, one by one, before us, shirts of sheer linen and thick silk and fine flannel, which lost their folds as they fell and covered the table in many-colored disarray. While we admired he brought more and the soft rich heap mounted higher—shirts with stripes and scrolls and plaids in coral and apple-green and lavender and faint orange, and monograms of Indian blue. Suddenly, with a strained sound, Daisy bent her head into the shirts and began to cry stormily.
“They’re such beautiful shirts,” she sobbed, her voice muffled in the thick folds. “It makes me sad because I’ve never seen such—such beautiful shirts before.”

(F. Scott Fitzgerald: The Great Gatsby, chapter 5)
storeynicholas

Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:54 pm

Francie's goodnight kiss to The Cat in To Catch a Thief is another good moment.
NJS
carl browne

Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:29 am

Clifton Webb getting dressed in "Laura."
pvpatty

Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:02 pm

Mine would have to be the Turkish bath scene in The Life and Death of Colonel Blimp.
pvpatty

Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:09 pm

Another notable scene is when Poirot meets David Niven as Colonel Race in Death on the Nile.
Levi

Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:06 am

Just like to pipe up...

Bogey in Casablanca!

Also, I just watched "Into the Storm", an HBO film about Winston Churchill during the Second World War. Great period pieces, with his dinner suit deserving special mention.
J.S. Groot

Thu Mar 18, 2010 10:55 am

I'd have to mention MGM High Society from '56. Here we have Sinatra, Bing Crosby and Louis Armstrong crammed into the same film (and of course a very lovely Grace Kelly).

Just watch (and listen to) this trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rQflUAk3x0

Flimsy film; great dressing!
tteplitzmd

Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:31 pm

Ralph Fiennes In Bruge in his Stephen Lachter shirt

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Simon A

Wed Apr 28, 2010 8:35 am

Almost all of this televison version of Noel Coward's "Hay Fever".

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDNlHlxvKqA

Pretty much the entire spectrum of tasteful interbellum weekend wear on show, dinner suits included. The diplomatist's DB donkey flannel suit with waistcoat is particularly interesting :)
Melcombe

Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:09 pm

David Niven's peak lapel, SB dogtooth check jacket in A Matter Of Life & Death. Ventless, jetted pockets. Perfect for the time and circumstances of one of my all time favourite films.

Whoops: edit - just about most of his public appearances (having just reviewed that jacket on YouTube...)
  • Information