thoughts on Heinrich Dinkelacker shoes

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Sammy

Wed Apr 14, 2010 5:41 pm

I am considering a purchase of a pair of Dinkelacker Rio shoes, as I live in the US, I have to place the order via on-line and pray the fit is good.. I was just curious if anyone had a pair and knew if they fit "roomy" or more so like many dress shoes, tight at the toes, etc? I wear a US 11, UK10 size.

Also, are these shoes worth the cost? Any better alternatives for the same cost? I like the looks of them, and the very thick sole is both nice looking and seems like it would outlast me.

Thanks for your input
ay329

Thu Apr 15, 2010 3:32 am

I do not own any Dinkelackers

I have tried on Vass gunboats on their Budapester last (raised toe box) which appears very similar to the Rio last. I was told by the German guy who sells both online that the fit is about the same. So I found the 45.5 Vass Budapester to be comfortable...and thus a 45.5 in the Dinkelacker Rio last was recommended

Only 5 shoe makers that I know of make a raised toe box style last just like the Dinkelacker Rio
Vass, Dinkelacker, Koronya, Mystery Budapest Shoemaker (as posted on SF), and the shoemaker used by Fritzl & S.G. via Operation Paprika

Sammy, if you are near New York, Gabor Halmos sells Vass and should be able to provide you with a shoe to determine the right fit. Otherwise, the German guy at Budapester-Schuhe is probably your best online bet...but I don't believe he mails out shoes for fitting.

In NYC, Koronya has a rep who can measure you...but its more for a bespoke job at around $1350 (don't quote me on price). Koronya currently has no RTW stuff available

I shall generically refer to these Bluchers as Budapesters since they are Hungarian made. I disliked them until I saw them in person. Then I wore them and fell in love with them...but once finances permit, will probably have the Mystery Budapest Shoemaker make me a monk strap wing tipe full brogue design on the raised toe box Budapester design

Beware, in Central Europe, the term Budapester can also generically refer to a wing tip design (usually a blucher). But you want a Budapester style raised toe box last...(this is the Rio last as used by Dinkelacker)

I can not personally comment on comparing the quality of a Dinkelacker shoe. However others at SF & FNB have commented unfavorably on the Dinkelacker when compared to a RTW/MTO version from Vass. Others are repeat customers of Dinkelacker...even though they own Vass Budapesters too

http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/vi ... 537#p46537
  • Information