Esquire Article

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

alden

Wed Dec 10, 2008 3:50 pm

Just a note to alert British members of the Lounge that the current issue of Esquire magazine (dated January 2009) contains a long article about the sartorial vacation Mr Alden organised for me and my family earlier this year.

I hope you'll enjoy the magazine - it's our 'bespoke issue'!
Thanks to Manself for a very well written article in this month's UK edition of Esquire. The article is part of a larger theme on bespoke and frankly speaking it's not to be missed. The "elegant life" ,as we conceive of it here in the LL, is used as a premise to propose bespoke solutions that range from our breakfast tables to our dress and a good deal in between. Bravo Manself!

Get it at your newstands!

I will try to make some web version of the piece for our members.

Cheers

Michael Alden
Last edited by alden on Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
marcelo

Wed Dec 10, 2008 4:23 pm

alden wrote:I will try to make some web version of the piece for our members.
Great! I thank in advance for the web version of this article. I have not been able to read the text in the Esquire's web site.
alden

Thu Dec 11, 2008 10:13 am

The edition of Esquire that concerns us is this one with the picture of a young lady attempting suicide on the cover. I do hope she failed as it would be a ghastly end for a perfectly good tie!

Cheers
ProfMoriarty

Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:46 pm

alden wrote:
Thanks....for a very well written article in this month's UK edition of Esquire.

Get it at your newstands!

I will try to make some web version of the piece for our members.

Cheers

Michael Alden
I notice you describe the publication as the "UK edition".....is it available in U.S.???
Thanks in avance for info.
Jack
Hartline

Sat Dec 13, 2008 6:19 pm

Yes, you can get internatioanl editions of magazines in the United States, but you'll need to do some footwork or calling.

One of my favorite places is Out of Town Newspapers in Harvard Square; it was probably the first place I was exposed to un-American news. (After, you can go to Leavitt & Pierce for a cigar.) In New York City, you can go to Universal News near the Time Warner Center or store on 42nd Street. (After you can go Nat Sherman for a cigar.) There is also a place on Lex and 55th that specializes in fashion magazines. (After, you can to Barclay Rex for a cigar.)

I'd also try the largest Barnes & Noble near you. (You'll have to supply the cigar store for this one.) B&N usually have a large selection of international magazines.
Etutee

Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:04 pm

Gents thank you for this information. Its certainly worth getting but for those of us who are outside UK and unable to get this issue use this link below

Esquire UK bespoke issue

Scroll down a bit and you will see that issue at #4 or so. You can click on "see whats inside option" and get the full detailed scanned pages of the magazine. Lots of bespoke and MTM info everywhere but the LL article is towards the end.

Note that this will NOT stay there forever so make sure to get the actual copy in meantime.

if you cant read it in 100% zoom in and it will go to 200% scan which is also perfectly clear :wink:

cheers!

P.S You can also buy the single digital issue at this link below. I assume that once purchased it will let you fully print any page you desire.

Esquire UK bespoke Digital Jan 09' issue
marcelo

Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:47 pm

Dear Etutee
Thanks a lot for the link. It is a very interesting article indeed.
The writer says: “Don’t mistake Alden for a monocle-wearing retrocentric”. Hmmm… sounds as a promising new thread on bespoke monocles and pince-nez…
storeynicholas

Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:50 pm

marcelo wrote:Dear Etutee
Thanks a lot for the link. It is a very interesting article indeed.
The writer says: “Don’t mistake Alden for a monocle-wearing retrocentric”. Hmmm… sounds as a promising new thread on bespoke monocles and pince-nez…
---or a crimson-faced Colonel----
NJS
storeynicholas

Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:09 pm

alden wrote:The edition of Esquire that concerns us is this one with the picture of a young lady attempting suicide on the cover. I do hope she failed as it would be a ghastly end for a perfectly good tie!

Cheers
Moreover, isn´t that a novel two-in-hand knot?
NJS
alden

Mon Dec 15, 2008 7:16 pm

Moreover, isn´t that a novel two-in-hand knot?
NJS
“They read him here, they read him there
They read him everywhere.
Is he from Brasil or is he a Swell,
Our own, much traveled, Pimpernel?”

M Alden
Last edited by alden on Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storeynicholas

Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:34 pm

I shall print and keep that! 8)
NJS
alden

Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:18 pm

The writer says: “Don’t mistake Alden for a monocle-wearing retrocentric”.
I am not much of a Retrocentric.

"What thou lovest well remains,
the rest is dross
What thou lov'st well shall not be reft from thee
What thou lov'st well is thy true heritage
Whose world, or mine or theirs
or is it of none?
First came the seen, then thus the palpable
Elysium, though it were in the halls of hell,
What thou lovest well is thy true heritage
What thou lov'st well shall not be reft from thee "

Ezra Pound

Let us keep our eyes focused and pointed towards the future. The things that "remain" follow us, gathered in a wave that never crests. So there is no need to look back.

M Alden
Fink Floyd

Mon Dec 29, 2008 8:55 pm

Very interesting articles - I enjoyed the whole thing, in fact. I'd not bought a copy of Esquire before now, but I suspect it may supplant GQ as my magazine of choice based on this showing.

Be warned that LOTS of interesting new ways of separating you from your money are mooted in the 'Bespoke' articles. I fear for my bank balance.
Dufty

Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:23 pm

Dear Mr Alden

I have just posted the below to your man in Moscow ...but now notice that the last post frm Andrey is a little old , may I ask you if he is still active ?

Regards

MD

Dear Andrey,

I am a Lounge member currently living in Moscow....I wonder if you can help me ? I am looking for a "traditional" Dublyanka ? I think thats the right spelling. Do you know any manufactuers in Moscow or pehaps a good tailor ...I have a full length asymetrical "cossack"...affair lined perhaps in merino wool in mind...but having been to all the regular outlets from Petrovka to the markets I am coming up with nothing....any advice much apprceiated ....Also my London "off saville row " tailor was asking me about a trip to Moscow ..do you think Moscow lounge members would be interesed ?

Many Thanks

Regards

Martin Dufty
  • Information