The White Shirt Company

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Haider

Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:35 pm

Hi,

Ordered a shirt from The White Shirt Company. Good cotton, defintely better than the slim white shirt cotton I usualy buy from Thomas Pink (office shirt) though not as good as the cotton as the Zegna shirt (special occassions) I have. Split yoke good but the french cuffs have pointed corners so the jacket cuffs can get in a tangle with them:( Also too loose, I don't like shirts that fit like wet suits neither ones that are too loose. This one looser than the regular fit Zegna, which I feel is hitting the maximum looseness that I would like to wear. For £130 I'm disappointed. I look at Coles shirt makers stock specials...

http://www.coles-shirtmakers.com/madetoorder.aspx

Thanks
Haider
RWS

Tue Nov 18, 2008 2:00 pm

Haider wrote:. . . . For £130[,] I'm disappointed. . . .
For £130, you could have a decent shirt made for you. Why not go that route instead?
Rossini

Fri Nov 21, 2008 11:57 pm

With so many established quality RTW makers at lower prices - EW, Budd, Dege & Skinner, Emmett, H&H, Coles, T&A, N&L, I can't see the reason to risk a higher price on these people. I'm afraid, like Pink or Henry Jermyn, it's a bit of a marketing scam for people that don't really know better. Not that the product is entirely without value. But there are probably better options out there. I also note that sleeve length is set per collar width. This lack of configuration seems strange for a choice-led proposition at that price.
Bishop of Briggs

Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:11 am

Thomas Mahon plugged the White Shirt Company on this blog - http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000242.html. £130 is too much. I would rather go bespoke at Alexander Boyd, i.e. Rayner & Sturges, at that price.
rjman

Mon Nov 24, 2008 6:37 pm

Bishop of Briggs wrote:Thomas Mahon plugged the White Shirt Company on this blog - http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000242.html. £130 is too much. I would rather go bespoke at Alexander Boyd, i.e. Rayner & Sturges, at that price.
My impression was that Teh White Shirt Company used R&S. Anyway, I think the premium is in part due to their "same day" delivery service in London, no?
Bishop of Briggs

Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:18 pm

rjman wrote:
Bishop of Briggs wrote:Thomas Mahon plugged the White Shirt Company on this blog - http://www.englishcut.com/archives/000242.html. £130 is too much. I would rather go bespoke at Alexander Boyd, i.e. Rayner & Sturges, at that price.
My impression was that Teh White Shirt Company used R&S. Anyway, I think the premium is in part due to their "same day" delivery service in London, no?
If I needed a white (or another colour or pattern) shirt with same day delivery, I'd call Colin at H&K in Jermyn Street. He would send it across town in a taxi. Cheaper than £130, even more so during sale time, about half the year.
ER

Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:23 pm

rjman wrote:
I was in Kerry Ford's shop on Windmill Street and saw a number of cardboard boxes with The White Shirt Company stencilled on the side several days after TM's blog. I asked him about it and Kerry said that he is the manufacturer for them.
rjman

Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:03 pm

ER wrote:I was in Kerry Ford's shop on Windmill Street and saw a number of cardboard boxes with The White Shirt Company stencilled on the side several days after TM's blog. I asked him about it and Kerry said that he is the manufacturer for them.
Hm. Given the example of Russell & Hodge's work that was posted here, I can't say I'd want to try them...
ER

Wed Nov 26, 2008 6:30 pm

rjman wrote:
ER wrote:I was in Kerry Ford's shop on Windmill Street and saw a number of cardboard boxes with The White Shirt Company stencilled on the side several days after TM's blog. I asked him about it and Kerry said that he is the manufacturer for them.
Hm. Given the example of Russell & Hodge's work that was posted here, I can't say I'd want to try them...
I hear what you're saying and concur. I believe that whilst he is responsible for production they are not being made in the workroom/shop in London but in a production house somewhere else in the UK.
Rossini

Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:35 pm

Beyond Rayner & Sturgess on the RTW front, Dege & Skinner seem to do a nice white shirt at £75. It's poplin but I don't know what quality. However, they have an excellent reputation as a bespoke shirtmaker so I imagine the RTW shirt is good quality and possibly good value as well, though I haven't as yet seen any posts with first-hand commentary.
  • Information