Cordings moleskin trousers

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Rutherford

Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:41 pm

Hi,

I would like to buy a decent pair of casual type trousers and was thinking in particular of "Cordings" Moleskins, they seem to be exactly what I'm looking for. Has anyone bought a pair and if so what were they like? Are they still fashionable?

As I've never worn moleskins before I was wondering are there any downsides? I get the impression from the ones I've looked at in the shops that they may be a magnet for fluff etc, spoiling the appearence. Is this true and if so is it a major problem?

Finally, I would be grateful if anyone can recommend other casual trousers apart from chinos and cords which I already have. Preferably ones that can be washed if possible.

Many thanks for your help
storeynicholas

Thu Nov 13, 2008 8:52 pm

I've had a pair of Cording's moleskin breeks for something like 24 years - brushed and sponged down occasionally - they'll probably see me out.
NJS.
whyescalar

Thu Nov 13, 2008 9:06 pm

Concur that one can gift Cordings moleskins to one's grandson.

Mine are drycleaned. The shop says you can wash if you air-dry.
sartorius

Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:36 pm

I find moleskins indispensible. They are hard wearing, extremely comfortable, easy to maintain but also rather elegant. In terms of susceptibility to fluff, I think that darker colours can show up fluff more than ligher tones but a good brush should set you right. Certainly you cannot go far wrong if you're after a casual trouser for the cooler months.

I've never had a pair trousers, moleskin or otherwise, from Cordings but my experience of the store lately has been rather disappointing. I fear that the quality may not be what it was.

As for other casual trousers, I have not seen a decent pair of chinos for years and have given up on them. In fact, I would rather wear a really good pair of jeans. Chords are great but, again, it is hard to find really good quality. I had a bespoke pair made up last winter which are very nice but do crease.

My other tip for summer casuals is linen. A really heavy irish linen is best and will be hard wearing and washable provided you're careful.
pemazel

Sat Nov 15, 2008 1:01 pm

You will not be disappointed by the moleskins from Cordings: I've wearing them for years and they look like new: areal bargain. BTW: I have them dry-celeaned.

P.
Rutherford

Sun Nov 16, 2008 4:58 pm

Thankyou gentlemen, you've been very helpful. I've just ordered a pair off Cordings.
Scot

Sun Nov 16, 2008 6:03 pm

Holland and Holland are worth a look for both moleskin and cords
sartorius

Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:37 pm

I have been extremely disapointed with Holland & Holland over the last couple of years. They are very expensive but without the quality to back up the prices. Also, their staff can be very pushy. I have felt at times as though they are interested only in selling me something regardless even of whether it fits!
storeynicholas

Mon Nov 17, 2008 5:10 pm

sartorius wrote:I have been extremely disapointed with Holland & Holland over the last couple of years. They are very expensive but without the quality to back up the prices. Also, their staff can be very pushy. I have felt at times as though they are interested only in selling me something regardless even of whether it fits!
"Ooh! Suits you, sir! Never mind the quality, feel the width! - and our suits may not fit, sir, but they last for ever!!"

:shock:
NJS
Bishop of Briggs

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:11 pm

I am tempted by Bookster's MTM moleskins at tweed-jacket.com. There are lots of options including fishtail backs and the prices are excellent.
yialabis

Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:26 am

Yes, they look like they give you plenty of choices.. I wonder what they fit like! Any experience?

Vassilis
JDelage

Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:12 pm

I ordered a pair on Oct 27, but they are made to order and therefore take a few weeks. I'm not sure when to expect them.
whyescalar

Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:46 pm

The trous are coming into their own today, as they do every winter, as arctic winds blast the lower-48.
RWS

Fri Nov 21, 2008 2:57 pm

whyescalar wrote:. . . arctic winds blast the lower-48.
I awoke to 12º F. (that's -11º C. for much of the world) a few days ago. 'Mighty early winter for southern New England.
Last edited by RWS on Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
storeynicholas

Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:56 pm

RWS wrote:
whyescalar wrote:. . . arctic winds blast the lower-48.
I awolke to 12º F. (that's -11º C. for much of the world) a few days ago. 'Mighty early winter for southern New England.
......and here spring is just ending so the very thought of moleskin trousers makes me feel like running for my life!! :twisted:
NJS
  • Information