Bespoke ties

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

JRLT

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:11 am

Gentlemen, I would be grateful for your recommendations on where I can bespeak some ties.

I know that Charvet offers this service but, as I live and work in London (and my command of French sadly stretches only to ordering a meal and a drink), I would particularly welcome recommendations of London tiemakers.

Thank you, JRLT
garu

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:39 am

JRLT wrote:Gentlemen, I would be grateful for your recommendations on where I can bespeak some ties...I would particularly welcome recommendations of London tiemakers.
JRLT, perhaps Drakes could help? Will is the authority here, I think, so perhaps a note to him might help.

Bonne chance!

garu
garu

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:43 am

PS: Won't you reconsider Charvet, JRLT? My experience with them has been nothing short of perfect. Perhaps a note to M. Colban through the one of the Charvet threads might prove fruitful.

Ta,
garu
JRLT

Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:45 am

Thank you for your recommendations Garu. I certainly intend to visit Charvet when I am next in Paris, but I have no plans to visit on business or leisure at the moment.
Concordia

Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:27 pm

Drakes will do them in pairs if you ask.

Turnbull & Asser is very creative about widths and shapes as well as lengths. In London, that would be my first stop.

Some of the SR houses can get one made for you also. Dege makes their own, and I believe that A&S may have a bead on some patterns that could be made to order. And so on.
marcelo

Wed Oct 15, 2008 2:58 pm

Concordia wrote:Drakes will do them in pairs if you ask.

Turnbull & Asser is very creative about widths and shapes as well as lengths. In London, that would be my first stop.

Some of the SR houses can get one made for you also. Dege makes their own, and I believe that A&S may have a bead on some patterns that could be made to order. And so on.
According to The Spectator, "The king of tieland"

http://www.spectator.co.uk/the-magazine ... land.thtml
storeynicholas

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:06 pm

marcelo wrote:

I was going to say 'How did I miss this?' But I see that it is today's issue and I haven't opened my own online copy yet!! I like the term 'English syle the way Italians see it'. The first Duke of Wellington, as a youth, used to cut his own clothes - so why couldn't one learn how to make a tie - I know that the first couple might turn out to be a hash but I am sure that it must be possible - with the right teaching and materials and patience.
NJS
marcelo

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:10 pm

storeynicholas wrote:
marcelo wrote:

I was going to say 'How did I miss this?' But I see that it is today's issue and I haven't opened my own online copy yet!! I like the term 'English syle the way Italians see it'.
NJS
Actually, it was published 15 October 2008.
storeynicholas

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:13 pm

[quote=

Actually, it was published 15 October 2008.[/quote]
But that is today is it not?
NJS
marcelo

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:21 pm

storeynicholas wrote:
Actually, it was published 15 October 2008.[/quote wrote: But that is today is it not?
NJS
Sorry, I meant: Wednesday, 15th August 2007
storeynicholas

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:27 pm

marcelo wrote:
storeynicholas wrote:
Actually, it was published 15 October 2008.[/quote wrote: But that is today is it not?
NJS
Sorry, I meant: Wednesday, 15th August 2007
That's not what it says on the cover! Am I in a time warp - have I become so retrocentric that I have slipped through some tunnel?
NJS :P
Cufflink79

Wed Oct 15, 2008 3:34 pm

Dear JRLT:

How about E Marinella?

I do believe they have a branch in London as well.

http://www.marinellanapoli.it/

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
pvpatty

Thu Oct 16, 2008 12:56 am

storeynicholas wrote:
marcelo wrote:
storeynicholas wrote: Sorry, I meant: Wednesday, 15th August 2007
That's not what it says on the cover! Am I in a time warp - have I become so retrocentric that I have slipped through some tunnel?
Haha! Maybe you will be lucky enough to go so far back that you become young again!
Costi

Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:03 am

Or remain young... :wink:
storeynicholas

Thu Oct 16, 2008 11:04 am

Costi wrote:Or remain young... :wink:
Maybe the Retrocentric Club should have this main aim To make us feel so young.
  • Information