Huntsman 2008 newsletter

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Bishop of Briggs

Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:16 am

My Huntsman 2008 newsletter arrived this morning. There are a few items may be of interest to LL members.

1. Gordon Alseben, the Head Cutter, has left the firm and the Row but will "still remain within the realms of handcrafted tailoring". Patrick Murphy is the new Head Cutter and Lee Webb rejoins the firm as Senior Cutter.

2. Huntsman, like Anderson & Sheppard, is offering Dashing Tweeds.

3. The firm now offers three shirt services - RTW shirts from Italy, MTM and bespoke by Sean O'Flynn.

4. The demand for bespoke ties is increasing. Customers can also MTO knitwear from Scotland.

5. Smoking jackets seem to be in fashion, despite the smoking ban. Waistcoats are also making a comeback.

It appears significant that several experienced and talented cutters (including LL certified artisans) have left the Row in recent years, often to set up their own businesses.
Frog in Suit

Fri Aug 29, 2008 4:19 pm

Thank you for the news.

Does anyone know if Sean O'Flynn will continue making for New & Lingwood?

Kind regards,

Frog in Suit
Bishop of Briggs

Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:26 pm

Sean Flynn has his own business based at Fallan & Harvey in Sackville Street. He is still, as far as I know, making bespoke shirts for New & Lingwood. It would be interesting to know whether Huntsman and N&L mark up his prices or whether he simply pays them a commission on orders received.
Frog in Suit

Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:01 pm

Bishop of Briggs wrote:Sean Flynn has his own business based at Fallan & Harvey in Sackville Street. He is still, as far as I know, making bespoke shirts for New & Lingwood. It would be interesting to know whether Huntsman and N&L mark up his prices or whether he simply pays them a commission on orders received.
Indeed. Historically, of course, he was the bespoke shirt person at N & L (twenty / twenty-five years ago). I have no idea as to the current financial arrangements.

Frog in Suit
Frog in Suit

Thu Nov 13, 2008 12:25 am

Frog in Suit wrote:
Bishop of Briggs wrote:Sean Flynn has his own business based at Fallan & Harvey in Sackville Street. He is still, as far as I know, making bespoke shirts for New & Lingwood. It would be interesting to know whether Huntsman and N&L mark up his prices or whether he simply pays them a commission on orders received.
Indeed. Historically, of course, he was the bespoke shirt person at N & L (twenty / twenty-five years ago). I have no idea as to the current financial arrangements.

Frog in Suit
Dear All,

I can confirm that Sean O'Flynn has now moved in with Meyer & Mortimer/ Jones Chalk & Dawson at 6 Sackville Street W1S 3DD, and that he makes for New & Lingwood, Huntsman and under his own name.

Frog in Suit
TimMureau

Sat Nov 15, 2008 10:09 am

Does anyone have experience with Sean O'flynn?
Does he also travel?
Frog in Suit

Sat Nov 15, 2008 8:11 pm

TimMureau wrote:Does anyone have experience with Sean O'flynn?
Does he also travel?
Dear Tim,

I do, first directly when he worked at New & Lingwood, some 15 (?) years ago, since then via N & L. I still wear my shirts from that time.

I think he travels. You might check his website for details: http://www.seanoflynnshirtmaker.co.uk/.

I had the pleasure of renewing our acquaintance last wednesday, when visiting Meyer & Mortimer.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Frog in Suit
mek

Sun Nov 16, 2008 10:33 am

I became a customer of Sean earlier this year. He has made me about ten shirts. I used to have my shirts made at T&A. What I prefer with Sean is the direct contact with the person who actually cuts the shirts. It took a little time to get things right with the fit and cut of my collars but Sean was patient and very much willing to correct all minor details. The fit of the shirts he now makes for me is very good and I am happy with his service.
TimMureau

Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:21 pm

Thank you very much Frog.
Jack_Rabbit

Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:58 pm

Frog in Suit wrote:
TimMureau wrote:Does anyone have experience with Sean O'flynn?
Does he also travel?
Dear Tim,

I do, first directly when he worked at New & Lingwood, some 15 (?) years ago, since then via N & L. I still wear my shirts from that time.

I think he travels. You might check his website for details: http://www.seanoflynnshirtmaker.co.uk/.

I had the pleasure of renewing our acquaintance last wednesday, when visiting Meyer & Mortimer.

I hope this helps.

Best regards,

Frog in Suit
I too recently (Wednesday 5th November) spent time with Sean. I'm on my 6th or 7th shirt and I am very pleased with the results so far. I find Sean to be very accommodating, especially as my timing is often out of sync with my previously arranged schedule.

As to his workmanship, I can only comment to one effect... 'first rate'.
  • Information