Gallo socks

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

madz

Mon May 05, 2008 6:36 pm

Does anyone know if you can purchase Gallo socks direct or online? or is a trip to Milan necessary?

many thanks
M
Algernon

Mon May 05, 2008 7:29 pm

They have a shop in Rome too if that's any help - it has been mentioned on this forum before, but I'm sure I could search out the address if you can't find it.
rjman

Mon May 05, 2008 8:08 pm

www.french-gentleman.com sells them. They are also sold at Edward Green in London, and at Kimono in Paris. They also have their own shops, as noted above, including one in Milan.
tteplitzmd

Mon May 05, 2008 9:09 pm

Also one in Perugia
speedster

Mon May 05, 2008 9:36 pm

Just bought a couple at Malpensa on my way out of Italy.
Wide selection, they also tried to sell matching tie & sock combinations.

Did a quick search online, and most that i found had horrible mixed fabric leftovers.
All that i have seen in the flesh where mercericed cotton. RJ's site looks good.

I would otherwise reccomend the German brand Falke, their numbers series is first rate. All thugh not quite as color full as Gallos
iammatt

Mon May 05, 2008 10:10 pm

Gallo has great patterns and middling quality. Sort of what you would expect from a fashion brand.

Falke is far superior quality wise.
madz

Tue May 06, 2008 10:56 am

Thanks for the replies and info. Very interesting about the quality compared to Falke I was looking at the no6 knee high wool/silk and also the airport range and as quality is important then I might stick to Falke until I get a chance to see the Gallo up close on my next trip to London or Milan.

My fairly new collection now consists of Pantherella, Falke and Marcoliani so I suppose time will tell how they compare.
iammatt

Tue May 06, 2008 1:20 pm

madz wrote:Thanks for the replies and info. Very interesting about the quality compared to Falke I was looking at the no6 knee high wool/silk and also the airport range and as quality is important then I might stick to Falke until I get a chance to see the Gallo up close on my next trip to London or Milan.

My fairly new collection now consists of Pantherella, Falke and Marcoliani so I suppose time will tell how they compare.
The no6 socks are fantastic. They blow the others out of the water quality wise. If you can find them at any sort of reasonable price, you should stock up.
dopey

Tue May 06, 2008 1:32 pm

+1, although I have only found these socks in solid colors. A bit more variety would be very nice.

My favorite surprise about the Falke socks is that despite the luxurious hand, they have held up beautifully under ordinary washing conditions - no pampering needed.
Costi

Tue May 06, 2008 3:13 pm

Gallo also sells through Rinascente all through Italy.
madz

Tue May 06, 2008 3:14 pm

Yes the only downside is the colour range. Very boring. Best price I've found for no6 knee high £18, expensive but if they last then money well spent?
Rossini

Thu May 08, 2008 10:31 am

I've ordered Gallo from The French Gentlemen, no problems at all.
speedster

Wed May 14, 2008 9:58 pm

My no6, 7, 8, 9 , 10 etc all keep whell. The only limitation beeing casmere has to be washed as cashmere ... ool low temp, low rpm a,d if possible in a garment bag. Iow same as pantarella and anny other good cashmere.

Falke is not much more expensive than Gallo, paid 35€ for my last pair (malpensa, tax fre ...)

But even the simpler falke lines are exelent.
Tiago, natural ...
le.gentleman

Thu May 15, 2008 6:47 am

speedster wrote:My no6, 7, 8, 9 , 10 etc all keep whell. The only limitation beeing casmere has to be washed as cashmere ... ool low temp, low rpm a,d if possible in a garment bag. Iow same as pantarella and anny other good cashmere.

Falke is not much more expensive than Gallo, paid 35€ for my last pair (malpensa, tax fre ...)

But even the simpler falke lines are exelent.
Tiago, natural ...
For which Falke socks did you pay 35 €? What do you pay e.g. for apair of Falke Tiago or Falke Airport?

Falke also has a series that is called "Shadow" and the style is just like the striped Gallo socks. However, the color range for otc is limited to the basic colors - I think there is one model in red-navy but that's about as colorful as it gets.

http://www.falke-shop.com/index_de.htm?welt=men& "Kniestrümpfe" means otc.
Qualitywise, the shadow series does not seem to be much better than Gallo if at all, but I am still testing Gallo's quality so I can't say for sure that Falke Shadow socks are better than Gallo.
pvpatty

Thu May 15, 2008 11:00 am

I received today 9 pairs of socks, Pantherella and Falke, ordered from http://www.sox-populi.com/. I obviously haven't had a chance to wear any yet, but the shipping from England to Australia was timely (5 business days), cheap (6 pounds) and the prices were reasonable ($15AUD for a pair of Pantherella versus the $40 they attract domestically). Most of the ones I managed to pick up were on sale too. They don't stock Gallo, but if you were looking for other brands I would recommend them after this experience.
  • Information