Bamboo

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

luk-cha

Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:45 am

As a follow on from this thread http://thelondonlounge.net/gl/forum/vie ... php?t=7731 i have been looking over sources for summer coats and came up with bamboo

it is use alot hehe in HK and south PRC for covering on chairs sofa's and bed etc but what about the cloths that have been produced of late

well apart from Panda food has any one had any expirance with bamboo cloth's or bamboo mixes like these

thanks!
Frog in Suit

Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:41 am

On my last visit to Meyer & Mortimer, Mr. Munday showed me some swatches of Scabal bamboo cloth. It feels light and dry to the hand, is probably cool to wear given the weave. One would have to know it was bamboo rather than a more usual fiber. I have not seen it made into a garment so could not comment on drape or comfort. It is so recent that I would guess that no one knows how well it will age. I did not much care for the patterns I saw, but this is purely a question of taste.
I did not ask about the cost. Given the ease with which some kinds of bamboos grow (but are they the right kind for weaving cloth?), one may think it may not be very expensive to produce, but the spinning and weaving may be costly. Does anyone have more technical information on this interesting new development?
Frog in Suit
HappyStroller

Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:23 pm

Thank you, Luk-cha, for introducing us to bamboo textile.

I wonder if the material provides the desirable kind of ventilation just right for tropical wear during the long, hot Summer days.
RWS

Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:00 pm

With the possible exception of 800812, all these cloths look aesthetically stark to my eye: much too precise, lifeless. But I've seen only one garment of bamboo cloth and so, despite leariness, will wait to learn more about the possibilities.
Concordia

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:11 pm

This has come up elsewhere. I seem to remember that bamboo jackets tend to wrinkle a lot, but are pretty comfortable.

I have one shirt from the Acorn bamboo/linen series. Not bad, but I somewhat prefer linen/cotton for the summer. The other is a little too cling-y for my taste.
RWS

Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:25 pm

Hmm . . . if bamboo, or a mixed cloth, resists abrasion well, it might be fit for trousers. The visual drawbacks would be less obvious and less important below the waist.
pemazel

Sat Apr 05, 2008 8:57 pm

Well, I've got a beautiful RTW bamboo jacket from Isaia. It is extremely soft, even softer than cashmere. Therefore, it is vulnerable and crinks a lot. But I do forgive it, as it is such a pleasure to wear.

P.
zegnamtl

Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:27 am

I too have a Bamboo RTW. It is a very soft and comfortable fabric. It does wrinkle, more than wool, less than linen. I could not not see myself having a closet full of them, but a few certainly.
luk-cha

Mon Apr 07, 2008 2:37 am

well firstly i'd like to thanks you all for your posts and it seem like bamboo has it fair share of benifits, i agree with those that say the design are stark or they would not want a wordrobe from of them - me too!

i just wish that there were more interesting designs out they whether plains or pattens there is more complexity to them
  • Information