Can anybody recommend a shirtmaker in London?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Edward

Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:07 pm

Hello all,

Having worn decent (New and Lingwood, Turnball and Asser, and Hilditch and Key) RTW shirts for the last couple of years since I started work I am now thinking about graduating to something which fits better.

Much of my clothing budget goes on my (beskpoke) suits, and I fully appreicate the benefits that personal tailoring brings. However I am not sure that my budget will stretch to bespke shirts in any quantity, and certainly not at the shitmakers I am currently using.

I was wondering therefore if anyone can recommend a shirtmaker in London (or Edinburgh if one exists!) who can produce a decent MTM or bespoke shirt for less than a hundred pounds or so. I am happy to have them made in bulk but I would like someone who has a decent range of cloths- including some bolder ones that I wear out in the evening.

I look forward to your recommendations,
Edward
yialabis

Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:24 pm

Try Coles , they do a sort of MTM by putting any size of collar to any size body . I had a couple of 15" body shape with a 15.5" collar and it worked for me. They also mach the patterns on the shoulder and the rest of the parts ..which none of the RTW shirts of the above mentioned shirtmakers do anymore (sadly).

Kind regards

Vassilis
Luca

Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:06 pm

During the sales, Ede & Ravenscroft will make you shirts for around 100 GBP or therabouts. They do charge less if you order several.

I've been happy with their selection of fabrics and their stitchwork.
Manself

Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:12 pm

He's slightly unreliable, and you'll have to persevere to get shirts cut long enough for British taste but Simone Abbarchi, a MTM shirtmaker in Florence is very reasonable and has a great selection of fabric.He makes bi-annual trips to London, but given the savings involved would merit a short trip to Florence. I'm conscious of damning him with faint praise, but that's the reality of the situation.
Jack_Rabbit

Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:36 pm

Personally I use Sean O'Flynn, but he only provides a fully bespoke service. You could try Richard at Harvie and Hudson. They offer what they call stock specials, a kind of half-way house to bespoke, whereby they take a standard off-the-shelf shirt and alter it to your individual needs. I can't recall the exact costs, but it's cheaper than going down the bespoke route.
  • Information