JM WESTON double buckle shoes

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

yialabis

Mon Oct 01, 2007 9:56 am

Does anyone has any experience on JM Weston .I know they are suppose to be one of the great traditional shoe makers but I have never bought a pair before. Any feedback ?

thanks

Vassilis
alden

Mon Oct 01, 2007 1:03 pm

For ages Weston was one of the best shoes you could buy. The quality of the manufacturing was always superior to any other RTW maker including Green. The construction is still excellent. But the downfall of Weston has been its choice to forsake nearly all of its classic models in favor of trendy fashion shoes that exhibit abominable taste; and the quality of the leathers employed have gone straight downhill.

BTW abominable taste is two steps down from bad taste (if you are counting.) So what was once a great RTW shoemaker is barley mediocre today.

The Chasse and Moccasin are the only models that hark back to the old days. At last look the Chasse was quoted at 990 euros. I am terribly sorry but for that kind of dough I would pay a visit to G&G.

Michael Alden
yialabis

Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:43 pm

Dear Mr. Alden , thank you for your reply , I have already placed an order to G&G for a bench made Rothschild (in antique cedar) model pair of shoes. I anticipate for them to be ready sometime in January but mean while I really wanted a double buckle pair as I like the style very much . Since you do not highly recommend JM weston for what they offer now day (the double buckle was around 480euro) would have any other suggestions for that kind of pair ?

kind regards
alden

Mon Oct 01, 2007 3:54 pm

Carmina on Avenue de L'Opera makes a double buckle. It is available in cordovan, suede or calf. There is a picture of the shoe on the site somewhere.

Michael Alden
yialabis

Mon Oct 01, 2007 4:09 pm

thank you very much indeed . !

vassilis
iammatt

Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:21 am

alden wrote:
The Chasse and Moccasin are the only models that hark back to the old days. At last look the Chasse was quoted at 990 euros. I am terribly sorry but for that kind of dough I would pay a visit to G&G.

Michael Alden
For the Chasse, and I am assuming that we are speaking of the full bodied version and not the Demi, wouldn't Weston still be the best choice? I only ask this because the shoe is so solid and a bit blobby that somebody like G&G would need to make a whole new last that didn't resemble anything I have seen from them (or really any bespoke maker in W. Europe)? At 990 it really isn't bad for a shoe that takes that long to make. I imagine that from Gomex, even in the demi-mesure, you would be looking at close to 1600 euros for that kind of welting, and you still have the last issue.

Anyway, I love mine and have had them for years. They are heavy and clunky, but a real classic. The loafer is also a classic. Unfortunately, it makes me look like I have the worlds shortest feet, so I have not ever considered a purchase.
pchong

Tue Oct 02, 2007 1:25 am

Michael mentions the double monk from Carmina. Here is mine in cordovan, next to a pair of JL side elastic boots in calf.

alden

Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:56 am

For the Chasse, and I am assuming that we are speaking of the full bodied version and not the Demi, wouldn't Weston still be the best choice?
Yes, the full Chasse by Weston has a nearly cult following and when they were made with the very best Annonay leathers and cost $450 they were even better. That was a few years ago. When they break in they feel and wear like slippers which given their imposing girth is hard to imagine. Fantastic shoe in every regard.

Michael
yialabis

Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:49 am

It looks like I'm going for an ALDEN black cordovan double sole after all .. They are in a very good price at the moment due to the dollar - euro exchange rate !
yialabis

Wed Oct 10, 2007 8:23 am

at the end I have ordered a double buckle black shell cordovan from Carmina in Spain . I think their prices go up when you buy in Paris . Thank u Mr Alden for the suggestion and thank pchong for the picture .

kind regards

Vassilis
whittaker

Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:05 pm

alden wrote:Yes, the full Chasse by Weston has a nearly cult following and when they were made with the very best Annonay leathers and cost $450 they were even better. That was a few years ago. When they break in they feel and wear like slippers which given their imposing girth is hard to imagine. Fantastic shoe in every regard.
I am often tempted by the full Chasse, Michael. How does the leather in today's Chasse compare with the Annonay leather. Still worth the cost today, at considerably above the price you quote, at least in Londres.
DLQ

Tue Oct 30, 2007 8:21 am

Oh my...JM Weston, a French firm pretending to be English? Maybe, but the French of course are our natural enemy and so much more conveniently located than Iraq.

Anyway, that aside, I first bought Weston shoes in Hong Kong and confess that I went almost straight back to buy another pair. I did mostly wear 'Crockett and Jones' and still do but I really do value these Weston shoes and good value I think. They make some wonderful elegant high quality stuff that can take the knocks better than Berluti.

Definitely recomended
alden

Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:32 pm

I am often tempted by the full Chasse, Michael. How does the leather in today's Chasse compare with the Annonay leather. Still worth the cost today, at considerably above the price you quote, at least in Londres.
I went to Weston on this side of the pond. The leathers they use are fine but they used to be so much better. The shoe is still an excellent one and probably still a reasonable buy. They will need a bit of work polishing to get them to look as they should. Weston delivers them in a nice box with a very mediocre finish for a shoe of this kind. I am tempted to prefer a MTO G&G, Green or even two pair of Carmina cordovans.
yialabis

Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:48 pm

My new carmina cordovan double buckle arrived ... Very good quality, amazing fit. Overall an excellent choice , they did take a bit longer to be made but it was worth waiting 100% . After all as I understand there is only one place in the world ? that continues to tan and process cordovan leather .. so ..

thanks to all

Kind regards

Vassilis
speedster

Fri Jan 11, 2008 11:42 pm

May we please see a picture?
I had in my agenda this Xmas to have JMWeston make a creppe soled double boucle for me, as i have some Bally and Santoni's with creppe and this suits me quite weel here up north in the snow. But feel dissapointed in the quality / price when i tried them on. and the fact that these shoes would not be ready before easter.
I would also much appreciate anny contact information for carmina in spain, you could pass on to me.

Much appreciated and best regards from Norway.
  • Information