Istanbul

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Hartline

Mon Jan 16, 2006 11:56 pm

I'll be in Istanbul next week. Any suggestions food, shopping, hotels, cigars, etc.

Any opinions about the Ritz Carlton vs. the Four Seasons?

Many thanks.
Parishow

Tue Jan 17, 2006 3:12 pm

I'll be in Istanbul next week. Any suggestions food, shopping, hotels, cigars, etc.

Any opinions about the Ritz Carlton vs. the Four Seasons?
As a London Lounge 'fan', I am also the owner of an up market Travel Agency and based on the two hotel choices above, we prefer the Four Seasons. It's within a short walk to the Hagia Sofia and Topkapi Palace. and we feel that the hotel is the indisputable Pasha when it comes to hosting individuals. What is wonderful is that this Four Seasons is demure, with only 65 rooms, not the usual large Four Seasons, but it has all the service and knowhow that Four Seasons worldwide offer. The hotel was once an Ottoman prison! The hotel has the feel today of an English Country Manor rather than a Turkish feel, but none the less, it's a magical feeling.

What I can say, but that every client we have sent (over the last couple of years) Rich or poor, has fallen in Love with Turkey.
Hartline

Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:45 am

Thanks for those you send private messages for suggestions for things to do and places to say in Istanbul. Sadly, I got to do very few of them. For logistical reasons we stayed the Ritz-Carlton. With very few exceptions, that hotel could have been the RC anyplace. The hotel is lovely with a great view of the Bosporus, but it really felt like a chain. It also was not up to meeting the demands that I placed on it regarding its business center. The weather was miserable, and it snowed every day.

The little non-sightseeing that I did on my own was to an adequate cigar shop. (N.B., if you go to Istanbul and are in search Havanas, buy them at the duty free shop in the airport. Ditto, if you want a decent bottle of whisky.) I was unwilling to pay what the RC wanted at its own cigar and single malt bar, so the concierge steered me to a place that did the job, just barely.

My one purchase of haberdashery that I wanted to make was fez, but alas there are none left in the Grand Bazzar. Ataturk’s outlawing of the fez sorta put a damper on that industry.

Speaking of Ataturk, he was quite the dresser. His struggle to pull Turkey into the western world was evident in his clothing – full dress, dinner jackets, lounge suits, morning clothes, frock coats, spats, riding clothes, etc., etc., There are pictures of him all over the place, and his face is on the money.

Again, thanks for all your suggestions.
citizenk

Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:08 pm

I love Istanbul! It is one of my favorite cities.

The last time we were there, we dined at the Four Seasons. It was the best meal that we have ever had in Istanbul. The hotel was so beautiful that we resolved to stay there the next time we were in town, Unfortunately, that hasn't happened yet.

I'm sure that this has been covered before, but the Grand Bazzar is the place to shop. The Gold Street is especially interesting. Keep an eye out for the Arab or Middle Eastern styled jewelry, as opposed to the stuff from Italy, etc. Turkish craftsmen also produce some fine replicas of well-known brands at decent prices. The gold is sold by the gram price, and is quite reasonable.

Also, if you like fabrics, there are a couple of small stalls that sell cloths from central asia. They can be especially beautiful. If you can find them, they are worth a look.

Oriental carpets are a different matter. I'm telking about new ones here, not antiques. I've often found that the prices back here in the US are quite compttitive with prices in Istanbul. There is an old hammam in between the Blue Mosque and Hagia Sophis that is now a government-run exhibition room, and the carpets are on sale. They are made by craftsmen using natrual dyes, etc. That is definitely worth stopping by, whether you want to buy a rug or not.

Check out the Spice Bazzar too. It is interesting to walk through, and there are some good places to eat too.

Have fun!
  • Information