Norwegians

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:10 pm

Dear Sirs,

I proudly present the new Norwegians that Maestro Bestetti made for me.
I can say that I was sincerely stupefied, I didn't expect so wonderful shoes.
Leather is Cordovan bordeaux. Triple hand stitching on the sole, and handstitched upper. Beatiful hand carved last.

A couple of bad pictures, but you can see better the shape of the last:

dopey

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:36 pm

Jona:

These shoes are absolutely stunning. Am I correct in noting that the quarters and vamp are one piece or (one piece per side)? In other words a “chasse” design. These appear more elegant than the Weston hunt model, even after accounting for the single rather than triple sole (yours are single, correct?) I do hope that Alden is looking and considers Maestro Bestetti‘s work when designing a London Lounge version of the Weston Hunt model.

How do you intend to use these shoes? Do you have any insights you acquired during the design phase that you can share with us.
TVD

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:43 pm

May I add that the colour looks glorious. Far too many shell cordovam shoes I have seen look dead: simply no depth to the colour.

Well done, indeed.
RWS

Tue Jan 03, 2006 6:48 pm

These are strikingly handsome shoes, Giona -- even to one who is not fond of the style of Norwegians.
Will

Tue Jan 03, 2006 8:55 pm

I love the welt stitching, which one cannot get from Edward Green.

With spikes and a fringed tongue they would be perfect golf shoes in addition to their other utility.
alden

Tue Jan 03, 2006 9:44 pm

These are very good looking shoes. Is the cordovan from Horween?

Bravo Giona
jcusey

Wed Jan 04, 2006 12:58 am

You have an excellent rendition of a chasse, Giona. I hope that they will serve you well.

If it's not too much trouble, could you post close-up pictures of the triple stitching on the sole and the apron stitching? I'm very interested to see Sig. Bestetti's approach to these two areas.
T4phage

Wed Jan 04, 2006 2:15 pm

The shoes are even more beautiful in person.... I was looking at them at the store and they are glorious. They look even better when Giona was wearing them. Such handwork on the apron and split toe, and on the welt... really fine workmanship! I was very very jealous!
uppercase

Wed Jan 04, 2006 4:59 pm

It's always a wonderful surprise when the maker exceeds your expectations.

The amoun of thought put into the design of the shoes is very apparent and I think the realization of the shoe was beautifully and masterfully achieved through Maestro Bestetti.

A wonderful achievement, Giona.

Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:47 pm

Thank you Sirs,

A bit of background as asked.

Yes, Dopey, you are correct, leather is one piece, apart from the apron stitching, differently than Dover or other norwegians, the upper and apron are real stiches, not just aesthetics.

Bestetti rended the Cordovan leather a depth that I rarely saw before. And that is raised after the first waxing. Bestetti uses Collonil and not Saphir, for the records.

Sorry I can't make better pictures since I have a bad camere, barely 1Mpixel. Anyway I see it is hard to get an idea fo the last, since in real life they look different. This one is looks bigger than real, maybe also when you wear you have different proportions.

Cordovan is from Horween, we got several samples to choose from. I choosed one not too dark and with a bit of red (not too much) inside.

First idea was to do a Bentivegna, but Bestetti finally made a standard norwegian, as Bentivegna, with the additiona outside welt, was too bulky. Bentivegna is a bit less work as Norwegian as one more hand stich line.

BEstetti alwasy use a single sole, just choosing the thicker or finer part as needed; never glues more soles together. This one is 11/12mm.

These shoes are intended for city use (leather sole) with heavy trousers, better if tweed. Indeed they look great with tweeds. And they are warm, current temperature is -8 C degrees these days.
Lookingtoimprove

Wed Jan 04, 2006 8:02 pm

Jona,

I had recently been wondering when these shoes would be finished. And now that I see them I can only say one word:

'Wow' :shock:

Wear them in good health.

Mark
  • Information