Rome

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

BenedictSpinola

Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:14 pm

Gents,

Today I booked a short trip to Rome with Mrs. Dr. Spinola for this coming weekend - I seem to recall some recommendations regarding a glove-maker in Rome from one of the chats earlier on this year. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Spinola
Lookingtoimprove

Mon Oct 03, 2005 1:50 pm

BenedictSpinola wrote:I seem to recall some recommendations regarding a glove-maker in Rome from one of the chats earlier on this year. Can anyone point me in the right direction?
Do you by any chance mean Merola? http://www.merolagloves.it

Mark
BenedictSpinola

Mon Oct 03, 2005 4:34 pm

Thanks for the link. I like the look of the deerskin.

Cheers,

Spinola
Leon

Wed Oct 05, 2005 8:13 pm

I can recommend Sermoneta in Rome.

http://www.sermonetagloves.com/en/

Leon
RWS

Wed Oct 05, 2005 11:30 pm

Now, this puts me in a bit of a quandry, for I'd hoped to visit Rome sometime late this year or early next. How do these two Roman glovers compare? Has any Lounger tried both, and, if he has, which does he prefer -- and why?

My thanks to those who can help me in this.
T4phage

Thu Oct 06, 2005 6:08 am

I would say that Merola's gloves are of a higher quality. Better leathers, better stitching, better finishing... Although you do have to pay a bit more, it is worth every extra Euro.
jekarwoski

Sat Oct 08, 2005 11:19 am

My only regret in buying sermoneta gloves a couple years ago was not buying more, which I rectifed last year. But looking at Merola's web site and map, these two stores are about a leisurely 10 minute walk away - Sermoneta is in Piazza di Spagna, Merola just off the Corso. Looks like you can do a quick comparison.

At Sermoneta, the downstairs is strictly for completing your transaction. All the gloves are upstairs, there are several people at the counter who will get your size, color, style from the stocks behind the counter. It is often crowded, given its location.

I can't believe I didn't see Merola in all the times I've walked in this area.

Sat Oct 08, 2005 12:16 pm

Does any one know where to find Merola gloves? They no longer sell directly to the public and at some of the stores they mentioned that sell their gloves (Bergdorf's and Barney's) I got just blank stares.
jekarwoski

Sat Oct 08, 2005 6:06 pm

Merola's site also mentions Paul Stuart. Stuart's website does not mention the manufacturer of their gloves - at least those that displayed online.
rjman

Sun Oct 09, 2005 1:36 pm

Bresch:

I'm going to hazard a guess that Merola did private-label work for the stores you cite -- and indeed that may have been in the past, as Bergdorfs et al may have changed contractors. My own Merola gloves have no maker's label in them, and I bought them directly from the store.

Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:04 pm

Oh Lord RJMan, is there anything I shall beat you to? And I am ten years older!
jcusey

Sun Oct 09, 2005 2:50 pm

rjman wrote: I'm going to hazard a guess that Merola did private-label work for the stores you cite -- and indeed that may have been in the past, as Bergdorfs et al may have changed contractors.
It's also possible that Merola still does private-label work for those stores and that some or all of the salesmen are ignorant of that fact: they might know that they have gloves that cost a certain amount, but that's about it.
rjman

Sun Oct 09, 2005 3:28 pm

brescd01 wrote:Oh Lord RJMan, is there anything I shall beat you to? And I am ten years older!
Just ten years? I feel positively decrepit. And cusey, I agree completely.

So Merola will not sell directly to the public? Even in person at their own store? I purchased a pair via email earlier this year which are very nice.

Chester Jefferies are currently making me up a pair in peccary and persian lamb, though -- further reports as events warrant. For Bresch's edification, persian lamb is the same as astrakhan. I still think you should do it, too, David.
T4phage

Sun Oct 09, 2005 4:02 pm

Merola has closed the store that was located near via Condotti.
  • Information