a customers point of view

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Tony

Fri May 06, 2005 10:04 am

Dear Gentlemen

What do you find more comfortable, a shoe that gives you a lot of support or a shoe that is made out of soft materials and simply fits around your foot, a lot customers feet i see tend to pronate and need some kind of arch support, but when they actually experience some support in there arch they find it quite a strange feeling and sometimes are not sure if they like it, There is no doubt that it will in the long term it will benifit them but it can be quite hard work trying to convince the customerof that.

Regards

Tony

Fri May 06, 2005 11:46 am

Good question Tony.

Having said that a shoe with much more arch support is better aesthethically, I would say, it depends from the customer foot.

For example, I have a naturally arched foot; very much arched, so I need a support, if not I have foot ache at the end of the day.

Giona Granata.
T4phage

Fri May 06, 2005 2:31 pm

Unlike Giona, I have very flat feet with fallen arches and rather wide toes. I do agree that support is quite beneficial in the long term, but the immediate gratification of putting your feet into something soft and soothing.....
ccox

Fri May 06, 2005 6:57 pm

There may be a "middle way." I wear orthotic inserts (to date, my only truely bespoke article of clothing... hmmmm, that's gotta change.) But my foot is flat on top and bottom, so... . I find that as the shoe heats up during the day, the leather gets more pliable and more comfortable. So I try and go for the (to my eye) more aesthetically pleasing shoe.

Having said that, my driving shoes get a lot of summer time wear.
Tough call. Might make a good poll...

Regards,
CCox
Concordia

Fri May 06, 2005 7:17 pm

Every time I have acquired better shoes (starting with a Jermyn St special order, and progressing to bespoke) I have been pleasantly surprised at how good it feels to have the increased support. Never would have thought to specify going in, but now I'd need to be convinced to do with less.
manton

Fri May 06, 2005 7:51 pm

I also have very flat feet, and I have now a few pairs of shoes with significant arch support. (Including one gorgeous pair from Tony!) I find that when I put them on, the immediate feeling is one of, if not discomfort, at least surprise and unfamliarity. I wear them for ten minutes, and those feelings go away and the shoes are wonderful.
Cruz Diez

Sun May 08, 2005 4:22 am

Dear Tony,

I like the feel of a good, snug arch support.

In general, I like shoes that feel snug around the heel and arch, but that are a tiny bit loose in the toe area and above the instep. A snug fit around the heel prevents slippage as the wearer walks and provide a "secure" feel. A good arch support promotes proper posture and walking, and brings the possibility of an elegant waist against not so elegant, flat feet. Toe space allows for "wiggle room", and prevents the uncomfortable feeling of sweaty toes stuffed together after a long day. In my case, my insteps are veiny and sensitive so they like some adjustable space (from the laces) and a soft, smooth inner surface under the tongue, and with no protruding stitches coming into contact with the insteps.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
:D Miguel :D
  • Information