Closing of Chester Jefferies

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

DoyleEstabrook

Mon Apr 04, 2022 5:26 pm

Perhaps this is already common knowledge and if so I do apologize. However, it has just come to my attention that the glove maker Chester Jefferies is closing down shop permanently. That is certainly a pity however there is a chance for a good discount though it looks like they are down to sale items and stock. It is a sad fact of current events that many of these traditional craft shops just are not surviving despite our best attempts at patronage. I would love to be able to buoy such businesses more, but unfortunately I only need and can justify so much.
Nem500

Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:04 pm

I just saw this post. Very sad indeed. I have two pairs of their gloves early last year I sent them my oldest pair for relining.
A real shame, they made super gloves at reasonable prices.
Noble Savage

Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:53 am

Website says: Unfortunately, we are now only offering our gloves to trade and wholesale customers.
Noble Savage

Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:55 am

Nem500 wrote:
Sun Oct 15, 2023 8:04 pm
I just saw this post. Very sad indeed. I have two pairs of their gloves early last year I sent them my oldest pair for relining.
A real shame, they made super gloves at reasonable prices.
Perhaps they should have raised their prices.
Nem500

Tue Oct 17, 2023 12:27 pm

Noble Savage wrote:
Tue Oct 17, 2023 11:55 am
Perhaps they should have raised their prices.
Perhaps, although the stated reason for closing is the inability to entice young people to learn the craft and the large number of employees retiring. Of course, higher pay may have convinced them.
I wonder if they truly do trade sells like the website says or not. In that case, they may still be available.

Here are my bespoke Chester Jefferies gloves. The black leather ones are lined in cashmere and the deerskin ones in shearling. The latter works very well when it gets down to -10C or so.

Imagecj gloves 1 by N M, on Flickr
Imagecj gloves 2 by N M, on Flickr
  • Information