Bespoke Loden?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

paborden

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:33 am

Starting to plan a trip with a stop in Austria, and I've long had a fantasy of picking me up one of these:

Thing is, the time I've tried one of these on - in Drake's a season ago - the poor thing just absolutely didn't fit. So, I'm looking for a tailor that might be able to make one of these bespoke or at least MTM. I've done a ton of research and haven't found anything. Anyone know?
emde

Thu Jun 28, 2018 6:53 am

Not in Austria, but very southern Bavaria: http://www.massschneider-winkler.de
davidhuh

Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:19 am

Dear Paborden,

suggest you invest enough time in Vienna and walk around in the city centre (1st district). I would expect you to find something off the peg. Alternatively, you contact the owner at feinestoffe.at and ask for guidance re. cloth & tailor.

Richard3 might have better ideas though.

Cheers, David
Richard3

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:46 pm

Richard3 might have better ideas though.
Thanks for the flowers, David, but I think you are right. A classic Loden overcoat in the style pictured above might best be bought OTR. I had a Loden coat made by my tailor some years ago but it had nothing to do with a traditional coat and hence had to be custom made.
Not in Austria, but very southern Bavaria: http://www.massschneider-winkler.de
That`s a very interesting firm. Plus, they are located just around my corner (about 80 km). I am tempted to order such a nice green vest they have on their site. Do you have any experience with them, Emde?
emde

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:49 pm

Dear Richard,

No, I do not have any personal experience with them. I know that my trouser makers are doing the trousers for them (just as they do for Max Dietl in Munich). But they (Winkler) are very renowned for tailored Trachten.

Kind regards
Martin
Richard3

Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:56 pm

Thanks, Martin.
I know that my trouser makers are doing the trousers for them (just as they do for
Max Dietl
in Munich).
I don`t know if that are good news since Dietl is very pricey :shock: , kind of a German Huntsman in that regard :wink:
ggreen

Thu Jun 28, 2018 3:09 pm

Dear Paborden,

I would highly recommend
http://www.loden-plankl.at

The have a good selection. I usually deal with Frau Helena. She has very good taste and sense of which models may work for a particular body shape.

Greg
Scot

Fri Jun 29, 2018 6:40 am

ggreen wrote:Dear Paborden,

I would highly recommend
http://www.loden-plankl.at

The have a good selection. I usually deal with Frau Helena. She has very good taste and sense of which models may work for a particular body shape.

Greg

Agree with this. Bought my own Loden coat here and wouldn't be without one now. Excellent selection and very helpful staff.
emde

Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:22 am

Richard3 wrote:Thanks, Martin.
I know that my trouser makers are doing the trousers for them (just as they do for
Max Dietl
in Munich).
I don`t know if that are good news since Dietl is very pricey :shock: , kind of a German Huntsman in that regard :wink:
I get my trousers directly from them, hence I am paying much(!) less than I would at Dietl, which is certainly beyond my budget ;-)
  • Information