Drapers contact in UK

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Manself

Thu Jun 27, 2013 11:56 am

Do any members have a contact name for someone from Drapers, the Italian cloth merchants?

I'm on the hunt for navy blue raw silk, and it's widely written that Drapers is the only merchant who sells it. Can anyone shed any light on this?

In actual fact Smiths have a two small pieces of navy silk, but not enough for a blazer, so clearly the situation is a bit more complicated than it appears.

Furthermore, do any members have words of advice about wearing raw silk jackets?
alden

Thu Jun 27, 2013 12:19 pm

Hot as Hades in Summer!

I imagine Hades in Winter is bearable with some flame retardent bespoke garb. But in Summer, forget it.

Cheers
davidhuh

Thu Jun 27, 2013 3:54 pm

alden wrote:Hot as Hades in Summer!

I imagine Hades in Winter is bearable with some flame retardent bespoke garb. But in Summer, forget it.

Cheers
Dear Michael,

Hades is an interesting concept in a summer like this one (sitting in Utrecht and freezing in my linen suit :evil: )

I used to have two raw silk coats, made up 20 years ago. I found them quite comfortable, the silk was a very good quality with an interesting texture. Today, I prefer linen, LL Brisa and Hopsack - they are more durable and more versatile.

Cheers, David
hectorm

Thu Jun 27, 2013 7:08 pm

Manself wrote: ...do any members have words of advice about wearing raw silk jackets?
Raw silk has rich texture (but not necessarily a rougher hand) which makes it ideal for an original and elegant odd jacket. But it's a heavier cloth not suited for warm summer wear. I own a dark green shantung raw silk jacket that has received lots of praising. I wear it very sparingly for evening wear only. I suspect that if I were to wear it more often the cloth would quickly come apart.
Manself

Thu Jun 27, 2013 9:08 pm

Since posting my question I have had a reply from Drapers, which tells me that the only British tailor who carries the relevant bunch is Spencer Hart's bespoke shop on Savile Row. I plan to go tomorrow to have a look, and will report back. My idea is to use the fabric to create a DB blazer for evening wear. We'll see...
hectorm

Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:27 pm

Manself wrote: I plan to go tomorrow to have a look, and will report back. My idea is to use the fabric to create a DB blazer for evening wear. We'll see...
Dear Manself,
maybe your mind is already fully set regarding the style and objective of your next raw silk jacket but, have you consider that a navy DB blazer is a garment more related to the military, sporting, daytime and outdoor wear?
If you have, please let us know more about the thought behind this commission. I´m always open to learning about new ideas and points of view. :)
Victor Elfo

Tue Sep 10, 2013 3:09 pm

Do you have any good sources for a cream/off-white raw silk jacketing?

Thank you,
Victor.
  • Information