Sims and MacDonald stock cloth offer.....

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

100trunk

Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:23 pm

Hello all,

I was wondering if any of you had advice on Sims and MacDonald the bespoke tailors in Lambs conduit street? I ask because I work nearby and pass their shop often, and have noticed they have a offer in their window. They are offering their 'house stock cloth', a two piece bespoke suit is now available for £1000. I checked their prices online and they start at £1200. There are many rolls of cloth in the window under this offer, and due to the affordable price, I wondered if this was the chance for me to be able to dip my toe into bespoke? I haven't gone into Sims and MacDonald yet to look at the cloths available, but would appreciate any advice as to what to look out for. I am slowly reading through the bespoke cloth thread, and making notes!

Regards, Trunk.
davidhuh

Mon Jul 09, 2012 9:19 pm

Dear Trunk,

this off Row tailor has been discussed a couple of times. Here is the result of a quick search:
http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/se ... +Macdonald

I would recommend you walk in and talk to them (and some other off row tailors perhaps?) before taking a decision. This decision should not only be driven by price, but you should feel comfortable with the tailor.

Btw - also read this: http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/vi ... 32&t=10360

cheers, David
WhippingBoy

Mon Jul 09, 2012 10:25 pm

Trunk,

I know Sims very well. As they are just round the corner from me too.
I have 3 or 4 suits from the over the past couple of years and they are fantastic (for me)
Its a cracking product for the price even without the sale

Its run by David and John with help from Celia. Get Celia to advise on cloth if you can

Let them know its your first time and they will be very gentle!
David is also right, consult some other off row tailors too
bjs

Tue Jul 10, 2012 6:34 am

I, similarly, have had a few suits from Sims & MacDonald in recent years and would thoroughly recommend them. As WhippingBoy suggests it's run by nice people who I think have a decent eye for what works well for different body shapes. Granted, you don't get the level of handwork/finish you would get on Savile Row but, at this price point, I think that's understandable. The special offer sounds like a perfect opportunity to give bespoke a wirl and, as has been mentioned in other LL threads, the fact that they're local to you means you've got a good opportunity to build up a relationship with a tailor. Give them a try!

BJS
100trunk

Thu Jul 12, 2012 10:26 am

Hello all,

Thank you for all your advice, it gave me the confidence to go to Sims and MacDonald and choose a cloth from their offer. As you said they were all very nice and it had quite a relaxed atmosphere, which calmed my bespoke nerves.

I chose the safe option of a grey herringbone in a two piece 12oz Lessers cloth. I kept it pretty classic, single breasted two button with slanting pockets. The trousers have one pleat and without turn ups. I was advised to have a pleat to maintain the crease, to keep me looking smart!

They had some unusual cloths, there was a great brown cloth with an unusual pattern, which I would have liked to have, but I'm not sure brown suits are acceptable in my office. I was told it was very 'de-mob'.

Im looking forward to my first fit, which will be about 4 weeks away.
bjs

Thu Jul 12, 2012 12:07 pm

Good man. And sticking to "safe" fabrics is a sensible approach when you're building a wardrobe.
  • Information