Glen plaid fabric for bespoke suit?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Muscaro

Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:36 am

Hello all,

Long time lurked, first time poster and hope I can benefit from some experienced rakish fellows.

I have several suits including 2 Martin Greenfieds (banker's grey and blue on blue) as well as a couple of Oxxfords. Still, nothing fits like an A&S style blazer that I had made a few years ago. So, I'm giving full bespoke a shot on a new suit this fall.

Given my mostly solid grays and blues that I have today, I was looking to add something with a bit more pattern and am considering a light grey glen plaid. I found a Scabal 700701 check that looks nice but am open to any suggestions. FWIW, I live in the (currently hot) Midwest, so maybe something in the 11-13 oz range.

Suggestions? Thanks.
Concordia

Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:01 am

A&S will certainly have all the usual suspects at your disposal. Lesser, Harrisons, Smith... Each of those firms offers fairly decent books in that weight range.
Rowly

Wed Jul 27, 2011 7:41 am

Could you post a pic. of your cloth sample? Being a big fan of POW, and of suits that don't look like you've just come from the office, I had a suit made in a black and white pow. The finished suit came much lighter in colour than the swatch suggested. I thought it was a disaster until I wore it to an evening event in subdued lighting..then it looked great. My advice is to take extra care that your cloth is suitable for the environment it is to be worn in. A dry finish, or milled finish, will reflect less light, and can be worn a bit lighter. I hope it works out and you get a great suit!
yachtie

Fri Jul 29, 2011 2:48 pm

700701 is not in the Scabal catalog online. If you have the right number, I can get a picture.
  • Information