My new wine bar - update

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Huzir

Wed Nov 23, 2005 2:12 pm

Congratulations! Your hard work is paying off. It must be heartening to see that people -- reviewers included -- appreciate both your gastronomic and aesthetic sensibilities.
cuffthis

Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:09 pm

I was interviewed by the local newspaper for their on-line weekend feature. The clothes were the following:

RL grey Saxonny wool herringbone 3B coat with bellows pockets, throat latch and side vents, RL cashmere off white turtleneck sweater, RL plaid wool vest with notched lapels, RL plaid cotton pocket square.

To see the video, click on the link below and then select the food section.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs ... /312080002

Does anyone know how to create a link directly to the video?

Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:30 pm

I just saw the video.

Tom, your place looks great, and I am happy that you are getting some press.

I am doing my small part in spreading the word. I recently had a sales call from someone who lives in Wilmington. I told him about your restaurant.

You also look great.

Again, I and the NYC guys wish you the best.
rjman

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:06 pm

Tom, do you allow cigars in your restaurant? I'll see you tomorrow with Duveen and AC.

RJ
cuffthis

Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:16 pm

rjman wrote:Tom, do you allow cigars in your restaurant? I'll see you tomorrow with Duveen and AC.

RJ
Delaware does not allow smoking in indoor public places. However, bring some for when we go back to my house later. My library is perfect for that.
cuffthis

Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:36 pm

Last night was a memorable on for me. I had the pleasure of hosting Duveen, Ambulance Chaser and RJ Man at Domaine Hudson. I snuck away at the end of the night and joined them at their table for some food and wine.

I brought a bottle from my cellar and opened it for them. The bottle was from Deibolt-Vallois "Fleur de Passion" 2000 Champagne.

We all raised our glasses and made a toast to Michael Alden, who helped to bring us all together.

The guys then joined me at my residence for some Port and cigars in my library. It was quite enjoyable.

Cheers!

Tom
rjman

Mon Dec 12, 2005 1:18 am

I can't begin to describe Tom and Meg's hospitality and generosity, so let me just say that Domaine Hudson is truly fantastic, worthy of mid_Atlantic LL meetings and a testament to a man with a sophisticated vision and spectacular eye. The food is excellent, the wine extremely well chosen and the atmosphere atavistic... Having been a guest at Chateau Cuffthis, I can say that Tom is incredibly modest about the wonderful and detailed appointments of his home and business . In both he's created places that are not only beautiful and sophisticated, but instantly comfortable and warm with welcome. Thanks again, Tom.
alden

Mon Dec 12, 2005 2:06 pm

We all raised our glasses and made a toast to Michael Alden, who helped to bring us all together.
Gents,

I am looking forward to the day when we will be able to email flutes of Diebolt-Vallois via the net. I would have loved to join you in a glass of the wonderful chardonnay from Cramant. I had to be satisfied with a Billecart-Salmon Brut this weekend. Its fine for an aperitif but lacks the body of the Cramant wines.

Tom, the pictures of your place look great. I thought your interview was excellent. Good luck. What style cuisine do you offer?

Maybe you can post on the subject of the cigars that were consumed as well. I think we have a few members who would like to hear about those.

Wed Dec 14, 2005 7:48 am

Okay, a certain Philadelphia physician is not the sharpest tool in the shed. At least someone else agreed with me that the food at Domaine is extremely good. I also think the place is very comfortable, but I am prejudiced, I like Wilmington.
cuffthis

Fri Jan 20, 2006 11:42 am

Our review was featured in today's local newspaper, The News Journal. I am very thankful to our staff who are extremely instrumental in helping us achieve a 3 star rating. I am also grateful to my wife Meg, who has enabled (and allowed) me to have a chance to achieve my dreams. Thank you all.

http://www.delawareonline.com/apps/pbcs ... 00301/1119
uppercase

Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:03 am

Congratulations!

Such a great review , particularly for a start-up, is a fantastic accomplishment.

Continued good luck....
Cufflink79

Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:12 pm

The review looks great Tom. I am glad to see your getting good press for your wine bar. I have seen first hand how your running the place while I was out there and all I can say BRAVO.
I continue to wish you and Meg all the best.

Best Regards,

Cufflink79
couch

Tue Jan 31, 2006 8:01 pm

Last Sunday evening was my first opportunity to drive down from Phila. to celebrate Tom's still-new venture in Wilmington. I won't repeat what others have said about the splendid ambience, well-judged menu and wine list, and conscientious food preparation and service. (Thanks to Tom's generosity, we DID repeat a toast to Alden with the DV '00, however.)

What I will observe is that on a drizzly Sunday evening the dining room was already virtually full when I arrived just before seven, and Tom and Meg report having had to turn away almost as many diners on Saturday evening as they had reservations, and that's with staying open to turn the tables three times. This initial surge augurs well; I'd like to suggest another visit(s) later in the year--perhaps a Philadelphia party?--to do what we can to make Domaine Hudson a permanent fashion.

While Tom and Meg are undoubtedly working as hard as they ever have, their passion and commitment are everywhere evident. I'm reminded of Cary Grant's chafing, in that wonderful movie "Holiday," to take a break from the world of finance to "find out what's what while I'm still young enough to enjoy it." So thanks, Tom, not only for your warm hospitality and a great meal and flight of wines, but for following your dream, and allowing us to have a part in it.

All best,
Couch
cuffthis

Mon Jun 19, 2006 2:47 am

I am proud to annouce the following awards we recently received:

Delaware's Best New Restaurant, Upstate
Reader's Choice &
Best Wine List, Upstate
Critic's Choice

Delaware Today 2006

I want to personally thank the customers who voted for us in the Reader's Choice and the Critics who voted for us also. I also want to thank our Executive Chef Jason Barrowcliff for his outstanding attention to detail and for his vision of what our food should be to pair the best with the wines I choose and select. Kudos to our Sous Chef, Sean Riley, also. I also need to say thanks to our oustanding staff, most of whom have been with us before we opened. Thank you for believing in me and helping me to achieve my dreams.

Cheers,

Tom Hudson, Owner
Domaine Hudson wine bar & eatery
1314 Washington St.
Wilmington, DE 19801
(302) 655-WINE
www.domainehudson.com
TVD

Mon Jun 19, 2006 4:10 pm

Dear Tom

I am so glad that things are working out well. From what I have read and heard from friends in the trade, the restaurant business is one of the most difficult to succeed in, an art more than a science, and very hard work to boot.

Congratulations!

TVD
  • Information