Experience with Norton & Sons

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

oxford

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:26 pm

I just came back from bringing my suit back to the Norton & Sons shop for (hopefully) final alterations and finishing. I got to meet the new cutter, Stephen, who seems to be a very friendly and knowledgable guy. He was exceptionally friendly and promised me to get the alterations done as quickly as possible. Weirdly, the shop seems to have run out of the metal buckles for the side adjusters, which means that the arrival time for those parts seems to be the limiting factor. Without even asking for a time estimate, I was explicitly told this time that if I had not heard from N & S within two weeks, I should call in to check on the status of my suit. Sounds like there has been a history of missed deadlines at Norton's.

As has been discussed here before, David Ward has left for Huntsman. Alex (i.e. Alexander Lewis), the American-sounding apprentice cutter, now mainly seems to work for the Tautz brand, and there seems to be another new undercutter whom I did not have the chance to meet, as finally my case was handled by a senior cutter. Norton & Sons also seem to have hired a new lady to manage the front of the house and deal with phone calls as Patrick Grant is probably to busy with the RTW work.

Let's just hope these changes will improve Norton & Sons' quality of service !
tteplitzmd

Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:33 pm

How long is it again, that they've had to procure the metal buckles? Your forbearance s admirable. I would wonder about liquidity problems given the scenario and expansion to RTW, etc.
fishball

Mon Sep 13, 2010 7:37 am

RJWeldon is just few blocks away at Berwick Street, how diffcult to get few buckles if they really run out of it?
Rob O

Tue Sep 14, 2010 3:13 pm

I was planning to commission a two piece suit from them in the near future but on this evidence I think I will pass. It's a shame because I like the cut of their suits, if not their prices.
SMCK

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:42 pm

Liquidity indeed ?
Have just recieved invitation to Tautz sample sale @ 9 saville row.
The invitation ask's me to bring cash or cheque if possible as they have no card machine
Food for thought.
Last edited by SMCK on Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.
tteplitzmd

Tue Sep 14, 2010 7:47 pm

Management may have skipped the marketing courses in his U.K. M.B.A. program.
oxford

Tue Sep 14, 2010 8:06 pm

I also just got the invitation email for the E.Tautz sale.

Dear Norton & Sons customer,

As many of you may know, here at Norton & Sons we have a ready to wear line
that goes by the name of E. Tautz. This collection, currently stocked in the
likes of Harrods and Barneys is entirely handmade in the UK and is designed
to complement the Norton and Sons bespoke wardrobe.

We would like to to invite you to a small E. Tautz sample sale we will be
having at our basement studio on Savile row. We will be offering one off
samples and past season collections at ~75% discount to their retail prices.
The collection encompasses ready to wear suits, knitwear, outwear, shirts
and accessories, and as a Nortons customer we feel we have some pieces which
may be of interest to you.

The sale will run for two weeks from tomorrow, Wednesday 15th September,
closing for Wednesday 22nd September and for weekends. Opening hours will be
10am to 6pm. Our address is 9 Savile Row (Under the Evisu Saburo shop).

If you are able to attend the sale we would appreciate it if you could bring
cash or a chequebook if possible. We can accept credit cards, but it means a
short walk to the Nortons shop 6 doors down as there will be no card machine
in the Tautz studio.

Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to drop me a note at
the email address below.

All the best,

James Down

Apart from the fact that I don't know how an E.Tautz RTW suit or shirt should complement a Norton & Sons bespoke item, I was quite surprised that the sale started offering 75 % discount from the beginning. I am not a marketing expert, but I thought that one would start with a lower discount in the range of 30 - 50% and further reduce as the sale continues. I get the impression that the old stock has to be made into cash quickly at any price (or the items are so overpriced that no one would buy old stocks for more than 25 % of the old "value").

However, I am not surprised by the fact that bringing cash or cheques is advised since the E.Tautz location on Savile Row is only a small showroom and one could also make use of the N &S card machines at No. 16.
mbarr

Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:38 am

oxford wrote:I also just got the invitation email for the E.Tautz sale.
Apart from the fact that I don't know how an E.Tautz RTW suit or shirt should complement a Norton & Sons bespoke item, I was quite surprised that the sale started offering 75 % discount from the beginning. I am not a marketing expert, but I thought that one would start with a lower discount in the range of 30 - 50% and further reduce as the sale continues. I get the impression that the old stock has to be made into cash quickly at any price (or the items are so overpriced that no one would buy old stocks for more than 25 % of the old "value").

However, I am not surprised by the fact that bringing cash or cheques is advised since the E.Tautz location on Savile Row is only a small showroom and one could also make use of the N &S card machines at No. 16.
I was there this morning, it is what they say, a sample sale, i.e. samples that were sent to stores, etc. that have now been returned. The selection is pretty small, but I found a nice pair of slacks and a tie.

You can pay by credit card, you just need to go down the road to N&S to pay.
jlazarow

Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:43 pm

The 75% discount for sample items is in line with industry norm and expectations. It might seem logical to offer a 50% discount and try to cover some of the retailing costs with the items, being sold from the studio implies that N&S is treating this as a real "designer" sample sale where the firm just wants to recoup the costs of the sample merchandise. The discount is not shocking within the world of fashion!
oxford wrote:I also just got the invitation email for the E.Tautz sale.

Dear Norton & Sons customer,

As many of you may know, here at Norton & Sons we have a ready to wear line
that goes by the name of E. Tautz. This collection, currently stocked in the
likes of Harrods and Barneys is entirely handmade in the UK and is designed
to complement the Norton and Sons bespoke wardrobe.

We would like to to invite you to a small E. Tautz sample sale we will be
having at our basement studio on Savile row. We will be offering one off
samples and past season collections at ~75% discount to their retail prices.
The collection encompasses ready to wear suits, knitwear, outwear, shirts
and accessories, and as a Nortons customer we feel we have some pieces which
may be of interest to you.

The sale will run for two weeks from tomorrow, Wednesday 15th September,
closing for Wednesday 22nd September and for weekends. Opening hours will be
10am to 6pm. Our address is 9 Savile Row (Under the Evisu Saburo shop).

If you are able to attend the sale we would appreciate it if you could bring
cash or a chequebook if possible. We can accept credit cards, but it means a
short walk to the Nortons shop 6 doors down as there will be no card machine
in the Tautz studio.

Should you have any questions please do not hesitate to drop me a note at
the email address below.

All the best,

James Down

oxford

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:40 pm

Just a short update on the customer issues of Norton & Sons: I -and probably most other N & S clients- just got an email from Patrick Grant, acknowledging the problems that his tailoring house had in dealing with their customers:

Those of you that have been in to Savile Row in the last month will already be aware of the changes here at Nortons, but for those that haven't I would like to tell you about a few new faces at the shop.

We have been busier these last two years than we have been in over a decade and sadly more than a few of you have experienced a service that was below par. Delivery has often been slow, and moreover we have failed to keep you well informed. For this we would like to apologise. It is our wish to deliver a service that makes coming to Norton & Sons a pleasure, and to this end we have made changes in key positions.

We have been joined by new head cutter Stephen Allen. Stephen brings terrific experience to the role having begun his Savile Row career at Wells of Mayfair, now part of Davies & Sons, back in 1984. Stephen began his career as a coat maker before switching to the cutting board where he has amassed over 20 years experience, having spent long spells at both Anderson & Sheppard and H. Huntsman. He is a very talented cutter and a very charming man and I hope you will enjoy having him cut for you. I am also pleased to say that we have been joined by Gina Gibbons who takes on a full time role as Customer Service Manager. Gina is tasked with ensuring that your orders move swiftly through, and that we keep you informed as we go along.

And to those of you who we have not had the pleasure of seeing for a little while I hope that this is because your Norton clothes are giving you wonderful service. But please don't forget that we are here for alterations and repairs, we are always delighted to give an old suit a new lease of life.

We very much hope to see you soon, perhaps next week when the Row will be grassed over and filled with sheep as part of the celebration of Wool Week. Not a sight we are likely to see again in any of our lifetimes.

Yours sincerely

Patrick

At least somebody at Norton & Sons is aware of the shortcomings in customer service and something was done about it. Let us hope that these changes will considerably improve customer service and the communication with their clients.
tteplitzmd

Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:59 pm

Doubt this apology will inspire anyone.
andreyb

Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:54 pm

At least they acknowledged the problems!

Not common to see in our days.

Andrey
Last edited by andreyb on Fri Oct 08, 2010 6:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
whnay.

Fri Oct 08, 2010 2:11 am

Did he read this thread? The mystery grows!
A.Hacking

Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:13 am

To update my tale of woe, I too received the circular email but as yet there has been no follow up from the new customer service manager, and the expected call about the readiness of my coat is now two months overdue.

A frustration is that the Norton name is still used to boost the profile of the Tautz brand - if the journalists who cut and paste the publicity into their publications only knew what we know.
That is why these fora are so useful to help the novices amongst us sort the wheat from the chaff - thank you to everyone who contributes.

Whilst I agree to a degree with Costi's comment about having flexible timescales when going bespoke, it is a pretty basic concept that to retain a customer's loyalty he must at least be kept informed of delays. When ordering on The Row one is buying the very pinnacle of luxury. One wants (and expects at these prices) the best clothing, made by the best tailors from the best cloths in the world. Why is shabby service acceptable ?

The recommendation of Welsh and Jefferies is noted, I shall consider them next time.
andreyb

Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:20 pm

It seems that such kind of shocking lack of communication (unanswered e-mails, delays with no explanations whatsoever) is not uncommon for bespoke artisans.

I experienced this myself with a provincial English tailor I used (but not anymore -- precisely due to abysmal lack of communication on his part).

Others report similar stories on some Neapolitan artisans, like Solito and Ambrosi.

But I expected that when one deals with a well-established Savile Row house, at least communication aspect should be dealt with efficiently... but then came this Norton's story.

Very sad, indeed. :(

Andrey
  • Information