Just 1 Day In London - Please Advise

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Elton

Thu Feb 07, 2008 10:47 am

This could be usefull.

http://www.bownsbespoke.com/
DonkeyHodee

Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:49 pm

Gentlemen,

I wanted to inform you of the result of my one day in London.

It was a thrill to walk both Jermyn Street and Saville Row!

As purchases, I decided o heed the good advice offered, and found my way to Hilditch & Key on Jermyn St. and was ably assisted by Mr. Colin Busby. I purchased 1 white Oxford shirt.

Then I walked don the street to New & Lingwood where Mr. Jim Corbishly was just terrific and very patient as I carefully selected 2 white Oxford shirts, 1 blue and white "puppy tooth" shirt, 1 striped shirt, and 1 proper English heavy silk tie in shades of deep pink and black. I also purchased a shirt, tie and cuff links there for my nephew, a businessman in London.

Needless to say, I LOVE the shirts and the quality of workmanship!

My findings are this (though I know that this will not come as a galloping shock to the regular readers of the lounge)

Hilditch & Key
1) I love the heft of the material and the excellent construction of the cuffs and collar.
2) The buttons feel a little thinner than that of the New & Lingwood.
3) Th gusset material where the shirt tail meets the front panel of the shirt is an excellent addition compared to the shirts I normally wear

New & Lingwood

1) Their Ready To Wear shirts are more generously made than those of Hilditch & Key and the selection is more extensive.
2) The buttons are of better quality as is the gusset I mentioned before.
3) The selection of cuff links and ties provide a wonderful palate to choose from
4) The ONLY quibble I have with their Ready To Wear shirts is the lack of a breast pocket! I guess that is considered either an option or uncouth. I accustomed to carrying a fine fountain pen in my shirt pocket, but will just transfer it to my coat instead.

I now have 5 of the best shirts I've ever worn and will start saving my shekels for true bespoke garments in the future.

Many thanks for the good advice,

DonkeyHodee
  • Information