Tom Baker, Soho — Impressions — or Other Suggestions?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

st.tully

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:11 pm

Dr. Socks -

How about a younger person at an older firm? I chose Henry Poole because I really liked the cut of Angus Cundey's suit and that his son Simon is the same age as me - 43. Poole is the oldest on the Row, same family from the beginning 200 years ago, and the current leader is 43 - but they have plenty of older talent there.

Good luck!!

Cheers, st.tully
Berwick

Wed Mar 07, 2012 3:57 pm

Surely if you like Mr Craig you should let him make you some peices before it is too late. When he does eventually retire you will have lost the opportunity to have him make you something, and that will be a cause for regret.
hectorm

Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:03 pm

DrSocks wrote: Besides, thus far Anderson, Steed & Kerr are the youngest on my list. At the moment, I am probably aiming for people in their 50s who have been around for a while.
Dear DrSocks,
Aiming for "a tailor in his 50s who has been around for a while" -although a valid consideration- sounds a bit artificially restricting and might not be a smart way of conducting your search. Keep your mind very open instead.
Having said that, I can assure you that at SR´s Steed you are most likely to find this combination of age/pedigree that you want. The firm itself has already 17 years in Savile Row and its head, Edwin DeBoise, is in his very young 50s (if not yet, I apologize) and "has been around" at top level for a long while (with Edward Sexton and Anderson & Sheppard before going on his own). Also you´ll have them for many years to come since his son Matthew is on training at the firm. Steed could also provide you with some options within the range of bespoke -plus the easy going treatment- that I suspect you would love.
DrSocks

Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:09 pm

St.Tully: Initially I had considered on older house, particularly Huntsman. An ex-boss of my wife's used to use them 20-odd years ago — he was a large chap — and they always managed to make him look good. As I recall he wasn't too fussed as to who cut for him, so when I visit RA, it'll be interesting to see if Brian Lishak remembers. That said, the stag-heads on the wall aren't for me. D&S were a possible too. My father frequented them when Michael Skinner was a young man. But I can't bear to go there for reasons best known to myself.

Berwick: You may well be correct. I will pass C&L in the next few days and probably ask when he is retiring again. This is likely to inform my decision further.

I understand Mr Craig's son took over the business but then died, and he came out of retirement pro tem. Is that correct?

Hectorm: That is potentially how it sounds; although I have no intent in restricting myself, I just feel as though I'd be better placed in the long term with slightly younger tailors. That said, I am not at all discounting the older generation. What's more, I strongly believe that when I have at least one commission under my belt, I will feel a great deal better about the latter. This may seem like perverse logic.

Bearing in mind visits to as many as possible, Steed are looking to be a good choice for me, for the reasons you state.

Something else I have to contend with is a that my sartorial interests are partly influenced by my wife, combined with a little growing up — so I put a lot of trust in her opinion too. She may have some impact on my choice of tailor. That is not to say however, that what she says, goes. But I'd like her to be happy with it, as she enjoys the whole thing just as much as I do.

I have spent the most part of my working life running around in scrubs and/or "leisure" clothes, due to its nature. I'm still getting used to the idea that I can now wear suits to work without question. Currently I only posses a few suits, RTW from Stanley Ley near Temple Inn/Strand.

Rest assured: I am assimilating all the advice offered here — and learning quickly. It is greatly valued. It is not my intention to irritate/frustrate any of you, even it if may appear so.

Thank you!
mattb-15

Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:09 pm

Have you considered Thom Sweeney? They're pretty flexible, but their "default" is a roped shoulder, soft as you like (or could get away with), with a nicely suppressed waist. Trousers are slim, and they do a really nifty, Steve McQueen inspired horseshoe waistcoat that is contemporary and retro all at once. That said, their main criteria is that the clothes suit you, so if you want roomy trousers and a sharp shoulder, you can have it.
They're young, impeccably presented, extremely friendly, and I receive unsolicited compliments every time I wear one of their suits. I definitely recommend them..
  • Information