Number of Fittings

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Costi

Wed Oct 05, 2011 9:54 am

Un raccoglitore di perle! :) Grazie.

the quest for perfection = anguish
the refinement of imperfection = enjoyment
Screaminmarlon

Wed Oct 05, 2011 10:51 am

You're very welcome, Costi!
Your line struck me as an accurate definition of dealing with bespoke, and I have to admit that, as time passes by, one becomes fond for the little (or not so little) imperfections. As you said, enjoyment :wink: .

Massimiliano
davidhuh

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:20 am

Costi wrote: the refinement of imperfection = enjoyment
Dear Costi,

my professor who is best rated teacher at his university always says "perfection is boring" :D

I always thought there is a lot of truth in there.

cheers, david
Costi

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:31 am

Dear David,

It's worse: perfection kills art!

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=8621&p=40134&hilit= ... art#p40134
Costi

Wed Oct 05, 2011 11:46 am

Massimiliano,

I also like the fact that the word "im-perfection" suggests a strive for being as good as possible, but just short of "perfection". Perfection is not a clear target, a definite point, it is an asymptote, that a good (and wise) artisan never attempts to REACH, as what is desirable is to generically TEND towards it. It sets the direction, without being a destination. It is not the same as neglect, or carelesness - not at all! - just a relaxed attitude towards the results of one's best efforts (doubled, of course, by skill and talent). It is "almost perfection", but not quite.
If anything minor goes "wrong", trying to hide or mend it can often ruin everything. A slight pucker on a beautifully set sleeve? Don't try to iron it out or press it flat - it will only show that an effort was made to hide something that you hate. Just let it sit there, proudly, and LOVE it - if you do, it will become beautiful and you won't be bothered by it. When others see how insouciantly you wear it, they will love it, too. (of course, not the same can be said of a total misfit!)
If a moth puts a whole in the lapel of your favourite coat, and you can't repair it, don't agonize over it or throw the coat away - wear a tiny wild flower in it, which you can find fresh (and free) every morning on any lawn, as a gift of nature, or tie a red thread (no strings attached! :wink: ) to guard you of the evil eye :)
Screaminmarlon

Wed Oct 05, 2011 1:38 pm

I think there's a great deal to learn from tolerating and, hopefully, finding the strenght to appreciate imperfections.
They say the chance to learn rises bespeaking a jacket made of The Prince Tweed :D
Costi

Wed Oct 05, 2011 3:26 pm

The future is bright, then! ;)
uppercase

Thu Oct 06, 2011 1:08 am

alden wrote:And finally, I have to say that the fittings issue is the real drawback to the travelling tailor scheme so popular these days. How can you expect good results from fittings that occur over a period of many months or years? Will the tailor even remember you? I suggest that readers search out every other kind of bespoke service and use the travelers as a last resort.

Cheers
Here's a nugget which you should paste on your refrigerator door.

This subject deserves a seperate thread on its merits; it turns the predominant traveling tailor model on its head.

This is a major statement in the context of the small world of bespoke.
dempsy444

Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:16 am

Uppercase,

I'm trying to reconcile the popular view here that a a very skilled tailor can get a suit right in two (or even a single) fitting with Alden's suggestion that working with a traveling tailor is a disadvantage to a client because it leads to long lapses between fittings and thus perhaps miss-fittings. If a skilled tailor can get it right in fewer fittings, why can't a skilled tailor get it right in larger gaps between fittings?

I for one appreciate the fact that tailors travel to my city.
Costi

Thu Oct 06, 2011 8:43 am

dempsy444 wrote:If a skilled tailor can get it right in fewer fittings, why can't a skilled tailor get it right in larger gaps between fittings?
Memory?
Try to go to a movie festival, see 5 movies a day for a week, make a few rushed notes with a piece of chalk on your sleeve and then, two months later, write an accurate review of each... plus suggestions on how it can be improved!
Anyway, I never experienced this type of relationship, so take my opinion with a pinch of salt.
yialabis

Thu Oct 06, 2011 11:10 am

We always do three fittings with my tailor but I'm sure he can get it right in less after 5 years of collaboration . We just like to see each other and share the process ... :)

Vassilis
dempsy444

Thu Oct 06, 2011 5:50 pm

But I think I hear a contradiction. I started this thread by asking if two fittings is too few for my first suit. The overwhelming response I got was, to paraphrase, " it isn't too few if you have a good tailor. Trust him. It's not in his interest to put out a sub par suit." Well, my tailor is good (I assume based on his rep and that of the firm he works for) and he thinks he can still get it done in two fittings (despite the 4 month gap between measurement and first fitting due to travel). Logically, doesn't it follow that the traveling system works just as well if you have a good tailor? If it didn't wouldn't it have shown up in my tailor thinking he needed more fittings?
uppercase

Fri Oct 07, 2011 12:20 am

dempsy444 wrote:But I think I hear a contradiction. I started this thread by asking if two fittings is too few for my first suit. The overwhelming response I got was, to paraphrase, " it isn't too few if you have a good tailor. Trust him. It's not in his interest to put out a sub par suit." Well, my tailor is good (I assume based on his rep and that of the firm he works for) and he thinks he can still get it done in two fittings (despite the 4 month gap between measurement and first fitting due to travel). Logically, doesn't it follow that the traveling system works just as well if you have a good tailor? If it didn't wouldn't it have shown up in my tailor thinking he needed more fittings?
You need to be happy.

If the fit is right after 1 fitting, kudos. If it takes 5, it takes 5.

I don't place stock in the tailor making this decision.

There's so much crap be hoisted on uninformed, undiscerning clients, and this by the 'finest' tailors, that I'm afraid I cannot recommend to 'trust the tailor'.

No, rather trust yourself.

The fit is not just achieved through the 'number of fittings'. If you're working on that premise, you're missing the point: you need to know yourself when the fit is right and when it is not, and keep working together with your tailor to achieve it.

'Fit' is not a numbers game.

And then consider that though a suit may 'fit' you, it may still look miserable on you. This is common infact. This is a style issue and is a whole 'nuther subject.

Can you post photos of your latest suit?
old henry

Fri Oct 07, 2011 1:26 am

I am sorry Costi.. I did not mean you...
Last edited by old henry on Sat Oct 15, 2011 11:38 am, edited 3 times in total.
Costi

Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:34 am

old henry wrote:You poor gentelmen have no idea.
:lol:
Ignorance is bliss... And compassion feels so good! :)
  • Information