Retrocentrics' Club Emblem and Tie

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

storeynicholas

Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:21 pm

While we all take that on board - see this - http://www.eccentricclub.co.uk/ paragraph 6! I wish that I had made the event known to members here who might like to have gone and been able to do so - anyhow here is the link for the new Eccentric Club and anyone may ask to join.
NJS
Frog in Suit

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:08 pm

RWS wrote:I personally prefer both the true -- lighter -- lilac and a white stripe at least equal in width to the lilac; this lightness of coloring reminds me of the transience of life and, through implication, of both the fragility and the profound nature of our seemingly superficial society. And in straight, true stripes, of course -- no zigs or zags!
I agree with RWS re: a lighter lilac (a stronger, more blue-like one will probably look like someone else's colours). The zig zag patterns belong to artillery regiments (what, as a group, do we have in common with them, with all due respect?). I would not want the white stripe to be any wider than the lilac one; I think it would make the whole thing too summery and harder to match to a shirt.

Just my two farthings.

Frog in Suit
storeynicholas

Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:35 pm

We're still sifting - but we are getting there - and, after all, for us, time is no special object! Someone has produced (ie drawn) rather a spledid suggestion for the type of emblem that we might have. Not quite there - as it has Pegasus in place of the pine vole and an elephant in place of the tortoise - but, nevertheless, it is quite an effort, by a professional artist, with nothing to gain - just something to give - when I hear more from him, I will post up the design.

HERE IT IS The designer has joined the LL and has a decided interest in our fortunes. He is also trying to revive the (dormant but revered) Eccentric Club and their website I have already posted.

[img][img]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg55 ... antasy.jpg[/img]
NJS[/img]
pvpatty

Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:05 am

Frog in Suit wrote:I would not want the white stripe to be any wider than the lilac one; I think it would make the whole thing too summery and harder to match to a shirt.

Frog in Suit
Indeed FiS, this is also my primary concern.

And, just for the record, I don't want to appear as if I am trying to force designs or colours onto people, I am just brainstorming and posting things as I find or think of them.
storeynicholas

Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:35 am

I think that, on the striped field club tie, there is an emerging split between indigo and white versus lilac and white on the one hand - and also a split on the proportions of the stripes (not forgetting couch's preference on the weaves). Therefore, maybe, we do need to have a vote of some kind to move this forward. It occurs to me that there is the polling option in the threads - but that would mean beginning a new thread, which is messy. Any suggestions? I do find it amazing that this suggestion of the Club has brought such an avalanche of interest but I cannot quite work out how to reconcile the number of 'hits' with the number of contributors, bearing in mind the number of contributions - I do hope (although who am I to say it?) - that everyone in the LL feels equally entitled to membership and to a say in what is going on - because something evidently, is going on! It is also, so far as I am concerned, meant to be a club for entertainment and communication and, well, just fun - so I do really hope that all with even a vague interest in history and the past will feel warmly welcomed.
NJS :)
pvpatty

Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:44 am

What about if everyone who wants to be involved in the Club sends me a private message saying so. I will then compile a list, and perhaps NJS you can edit your original post and put the list up there.
storeynicholas

Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:47 am

Thank you. Let's try that then and see what happens.
NJS
pvpatty

Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:33 am

I ask also for members' real names (first name only if you wish) and locations. This way it should be easier to facilitate meetings and see where in the world everyone is. However, if you would prefer not to disclose this information, of course, you do not have to.
Costi

Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:28 am

I agree white and lilac stripes, although a beautiful combination of colours, is quite summery and not too easy to match, which doesn't make a tie easily wearable. Since it is the lilac that represents nostalgia, how about a lavender tie (more blue, less red and an alltogether darker overall effect) with a very faint (1 or 2 threads) white diagonal stripe every couple of centimeters. It's not the usual striped tie, it's subtle (you onky notice it's not a solid lavender tie on closer inspection), it's a masculine colour and easier to match (with dark blue suitings, dark green tweeds etc.). It could take equally well a blue, white or pink shirt. Just brainstorming...
storeynicholas

Thu Sep 04, 2008 1:05 pm

There's always the possibility of lavender or indigo and lilac stripes. Maybe we need to see some colour and pattern samples?
NJS
storeynicholas

Thu Sep 04, 2008 4:14 pm

Here is a further attempt at the emblem. I think that the voles should be arranged as Pegasus in the first draft but facing forwards. Any views?
NJS:

[img][img]http://i245.photobucket.com/albums/gg55 ... ic3WEB.jpg[/img][/img]
Frog in Suit

Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:47 pm

Great looking device.

Nit picking ( You know what we Frogs are like about our language, what with the old Académie and all......):

You need an accent grave on the U of OU, Thus: OÙ (caps) où (lower case).
You need a question mark at the end of the sentence: Mais où sont les neiges d'antan?
You do NOT need a comma after MAIS.

Rules are rules, dammit :twisted: !

Frog in Suit

PS:

Ballade des Dames du temps jadis
Dites-moi où, n'en quel pays,
Est Flora la belle Romaine,
Archipiades, ne Thaïs,
Qui fut sa cousine germaine,
Echo, parlant quant bruit on mène
Dessus rivière ou sur étang,
Qui beauté eut trop plus qu'humaine ?
Mais où sont les neiges d'antan ?

Où est la très sage Héloïs,
Pour qui fut châtré et puis moine
Pierre Esbaillart à Saint-Denis ?
Pour son amour eut cette essoine.
Semblablement, où est la roine
Qui commanda que Buridan
Fût jeté en un sac en Seine ?

La roine Blanche comme un lis
Qui chantait à voix de sirène,
Berthe au grand pied, Bietrix, Aliz,
Haramburgis qui tint le Maine,
Et Jeanne, la bonne Lorraine
Qu'Anglais brûlèrent à Rouen ;
Où sont-ils, où, Vierge souvraine ?

Prince, n'enquerrez de semaine
Où elles sont, ni de cet an,
Que ce refrain ne vous remaine :
storeynicholas

Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:55 pm

I did mention the accent (grateful for advice on how to do them). The comma after 'Mais' is my fault and the question mark is understood. Thanks for the verses. I shall now devote an evening to construing them - and emerge a wiser and, probably, a sadder, man...
NJS
Frog in Suit

Fri Sep 05, 2008 10:13 am

NJS,

I do not even understand the poem completely: there are two words which no longer exist in modern French: essoine and remaine, and there are probably others whose meaning has changed since then. Also some of the instances of "ladies of yesteryear" are, to me at least, obscure.

Accents on u ( or other letters):

First method: Draft in WORD and use the "insert" menu, then select "symbol". You will have all sorts of characters at your disposal: Latin, Greek, Cyrillic, Arabic, Hebrew, with all posssible variations, currency symbols, geometric figures etc...Then copy and paste into your document.
Second method: Use you numeric keypad if you have one (have the NUMLOCK key on). Press the "Alt" key and keep it down while typing a combination of number keys. For example: 130 will give é, 0128 will give €, etc...Slightly less cumbersome than method 1, but a more limited choice.

I type English and French texts on an English (UK) keyboard, hence my unwonted technical knowledge.

Hope this helps.

Frog in Suit

PS: an excellent site for french poetry: http://poesie.webnet.fr/
storeynicholas

Fri Sep 05, 2008 11:59 am

FiS - Many thanks for all this - especially the advice on accents which I have yet to put to the test. English literature often throws up words which are now obscure or defunct and we just have to battle on. I have deferred reading the whole poem until today as we have a holiday here this week end for Independence Day and there is another later on in the year for Republic Day.
NJS
  • Information