Michael Browne

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Anikolov1

Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:54 pm

Dear all,

I will drop some photos of a Michael Browne suit for reference and hope you enjoy them. I am very pleased with the result.

https://www.flickr.com/gp/188106917@N07/634wg59GQg

https://www.flickr.com/gp/188106917@N07/00s1618V98

Sleeves need shortening a tad. It’s not a LL cloth.

Best,
A
Concordia

Thu Jul 14, 2022 6:39 pm

Looks good-- very different from what is on his website.

Let us know how it wears.
Lugano

Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:41 pm

very well pressed!

nice suit, thank you for posting
jhwilliams

Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:27 pm

Anikolov1 wrote:
Dear all,

I will drop some photos of a Michael Browne suit for reference and hope you enjoy them. I am very pleased with the result.

Best,
A

This is absolutely beautiful. Very very different from what he tends to cut. That is a a lovely navy cloth.
Anikolov1

Sun Jul 17, 2022 5:18 am

jhwilliams wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 11:27 pm
Anikolov1 wrote:
Dear all,

Best,
A

This is absolutely beautiful. Very very different from what he tends to cut. That is a a lovely navy cloth.
In terms of construction and make, it’s absolutely standard Michael Browne. The only difference is style details as in straight flap pockets instead of slanted, notch instead of peak lapels, etc. Michael is really determined to make the commission a collaborative process and takes into account the preferences of the client more than I have experienced before. I think it took a total of 5-6 fittings where essentially the first one had taken care of fit and the rest were styling the coat. I am very pleased. I intend to do a the RAF Brisa POW in a SB peak lapel coat with a waistcoat and trousers.
jhwilliams

Sun Jul 17, 2022 3:50 pm

He seems to have introduced a bit more drape than he usually does. Very nice suit
derekguy

Thu Aug 18, 2022 5:46 pm

That looks terrific! Really well done.
voxsartoria

Wed Sep 21, 2022 10:50 pm

Very nice job fitting your shoulders.
Bwooster

Sun Jun 02, 2024 8:43 pm

Went for my first meet with Michael last week, ordered a DJ from him. Having been to my fair share of tailors in UK and Italy at this stage, from small off-the-beaten-track artisans to the big names, I must say I have never sat for 2 hrs geeking out over tailoring minutiae before, he obviously has genuine passion and curiosity besides talent (and charm). Really feel as if it's a collaboration and am very confident in his ability from what I saw and heard. I am quite excited to see where this goes. The tailoring world needs its A&Ss and Caracenis and small local gems but also needs the likes of Michael, who really respects the craft, moves it forward in many ways, and seems to genuinely enjoy his job and his clients.
Anikolov1

Tue Jun 04, 2024 3:34 am

Dear Bwooster,

Michael is a wonderful human being, I enjoyed working with him so much. My fittings used to sometime take 4 hrs as we talked so much. I will say a word of caution as I actually did not end up enjoying the two suits I have from him. One I don’t wear at all as it has a huge collar gap and that really bothers me. I did give it back to him to fix but nothing changed. With my second commission it is better but still there’s a bit of a gap, so I decided to keep the fond memory of working with him but that I could not justify spending 2x more than a SR suit and not be satisfied. I would highly highly recommend the black stretchy fabric that is his house cloth. This is my go to (second suit) for evening events, when I go to the opera or a fancy dinner. I would also caution that something that looks amazing in the atelier does not always transfer the same in the real world. I have tried 5 tailors and although there are tailors I get along with better, the one I am sticking with is Steven, his work has been impeccable. It lacks the friendship aspect but now when I go to fittings we don’t even really change the sleeve length, it’s just perfect
Bwooster

Tue Jun 04, 2024 6:12 am

Thank you for the advice, I will certainly look out for that on my first fit (its usually the thing I look for first as the only time I have had an issue with collar gap was early bespoke days at Huntsman about 20 yrs ago). I use Caraceni (Rome) otherwise and have a similar rapport as you do with Steven it sounds, in and out in 5 min and everything is perfect but was curious to use Michael based off what I have heard and seen, went with a classic Smith’s black all wool barathea (wish I’d gotten my hands on the LL Black Mohair back when….). Stay tuned!
Anikolov1

Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:19 am

Bwooster,

Actually the black mohair would not have served you for a coat with Michael. This is what I brought him the first time I went there and he refused to work on a cloth he has not worked with for a first coat.

Best,
A
Noble Savage

Sat Jul 27, 2024 12:59 pm

Clean. Well done.
Bwooster

Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:54 am

Anikolov1 wrote:
Dear Bwooster,

Michael is a wonderful human being, I enjoyed working with him so much. My fittings used to sometime take 4 hrs as we talked so much. I will say a word of caution as I actually did not end up enjoying the two suits I have from him. One I don’t wear at all as it has a huge collar gap and that really bothers me. I did give it back to him to fix but nothing changed. With my second commission it is better but still there’s a bit of a gap, so I decided to keep the fond memory of working with him but that I could not justify spending 2x more than a SR suit and not be satisfied. I would highly highly recommend the black stretchy fabric that is his house cloth. This is my go to (second suit) for evening events, when I go to the opera or a fancy dinner. I would also caution that something that looks amazing in the atelier does not always transfer the same in the real world. I have tried 5 tailors and although there are tailors I get along with better, the one I am sticking with is Steven, his work has been impeccable. It lacks the friendship aspect but now when I go to fittings we don’t even really change the sleeve length, it’s just perfect
Am very happy to report the dinner suit came out beautifully, with a tight and high collar glued to the neck and otherwise very flattering proportions and comfortable fit. Its not my (or LL’s) usual style but his craftsmanship and attention to detail is really top notch and I think translates well to black tie, similar to Sexton’s personal suits. The trousers really are a work of iron-shaping art. And, as you mention, Michael is really just the most wonderful person.
Anikolov1

Mon Sep 02, 2024 7:09 pm

Bwooster wrote:
Thu Aug 29, 2024 7:54 am
Anikolov1 wrote:
Dear Bwooster,

Am very happy to report the dinner suit came out beautifully, with a tight and high collar glued to the neck and otherwise very flattering proportions and comfortable fit. Its not my (or LL’s) usual style but his craftsmanship and attention to detail is really top notch and I think translates well to black tie, similar to Sexton’s personal suits. The trousers really are a work of iron-shaping art. And, as you mention, Michael is really just the most wonderful person.
So happy to hear that! Enjoy your suit, I do think it can look great as a dinner suit. Also, look into the black crepe. I do really like my “sexy” NY inspired black suit. Michael is a previous human being.
  • Information