Blazer style choices

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Nem500

Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:08 pm

I agree that gold buttons can stand out too much. Fortunately, they're easily replaced, so you could test exchanging them for horn versions and see if you prefer that look.

I have a summer DB in hopsack (with horn buttons) that I use quite often. I got one of the last lengths of the Ultimate Blazer cloth to make myself a winter version.
Simon

Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:24 am

My go-to blazer is in the old 15oz Minnis Fresco. Flapped hacking pockets, and gold buttons but made up with a one-button front and one-button cuff which limits the ‘trophy cabinet’ effect.
Noble Savage

Fri May 31, 2024 6:46 pm

Simon wrote:
Sun Apr 28, 2024 6:24 am
My go-to blazer is in the old 15oz Minnis Fresco. Flapped hacking pockets, and gold buttons but made up with a one-button front and one-button cuff which limits the ‘trophy cabinet’ effect.
Gold buttons, "the trophy cabinet effect", last summer.

couch

Sat Jun 01, 2024 7:34 pm

Well done.

Regardless of metal, I don't think this thread has yet explored the angels-on-pinheads potential of the burning question: flat shanked vs. domed?

Cheers,
Couch
Noble Savage

Thu Jun 27, 2024 4:29 pm

Both flat and domed buttons are ordinarily shanked, rather than with holes. The key with shanked is to sink them deep into the fabric so they don't have a discernible bounce. You can tell in the photo above, because looking at the non-functional buttons on the front, their domed lips are flat against the fabric.
  • Information