Crisis on Savile Row: can British tailoring survive the impact of Covid-19?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Leonard Logsdail

Tue Oct 20, 2020 12:54 pm

IN the early days of my business I traveled extensively seeing clients in Europe, mainly Holland. I built a really big business out there to the point I could not manage it on my own. Then I got an urge to visit the US to see about building a business here, too. As this increased, the Dutch Guilder collapsed against the UK pound and our European business all but disappeared. This early lesson of not putting all of my eggs in one basket has stood me well.

I really feel for the guys on Savile row, they are my friends and it was my home for 20 years. But too many rely on the US for their income and it has come to haunt them.

I hope you guys send your orders to them. The secret of downturn is cashflow. So if you can help them please do

Leonard
andreyb

Sun Oct 25, 2020 1:40 pm

I just did... though my guys (KHL) leave much to be desired in 'service" department even in normal times, let alone now. Given that SR clothes are not cheap, this understandably keeps me a bit nervous.

Based on what I heard here and elsewhere, KHL are not alone in dropping the ball in making sure their level of customer service is equal to their level of tailoring.

Andrey
belimad

Mon Oct 26, 2020 5:12 am

more gloomy coverage

How lockdown left Savile Row hanging by a thread: With international fittings limited by travel restrictions and little need for formal wear in lockdown, London’s world famous Savile Row is fearing for its future.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/busi ... 24750.html
andreyb

Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:14 pm

...and yet another victim: William & Son is under administration. :(

Great prices for what is still left from their stock: https://www.williamandson.com/.

Andrey
belimad

Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:15 pm

andreyb wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 12:14 pm
...and yet another victim: William & Son is under administration. :(

Great prices for what is still left from their stock: https://www.williamandson.com/.

Andrey
Is it just me, or there's no way to see prices or buy anything on their website?
Concordia

Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:48 pm

I got the same. Perhaps staffing isn't sufficient to do anything but walk-ins?

As a point of comparison, I was in a Brooks Brothers yesterday. My son needed to buy a scarf-- inventory almost all gone, but what was left was marked 50% off. Hardly the normal Christmas rush response, I would think.
andreyb

Fri Dec 25, 2020 9:38 pm

belimad wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 3:15 pm
Is it just me, or there's no way to see prices or buy anything on their website?
Yeah, you have to e-mail (or call) them and ask for price & availability of what you'd like to get. I've got a silver money clip for £65 reduced from £180, Forge de Laguiole corkscrew for £100 reduced from £230 and MOP caviar spreader for £85 reduced from £225. Some bargains (well, relatively speaking... :lol:) to have, but it's a pity such a good shop disappears.

They do ship to Russia, so probably can ship anywhere.

Andrey
Anikolov1

Thu Jan 07, 2021 11:04 am

I just spoke with Foster and Son over a briefcase commission. Earlier in this thread it was mentioned that they would be closing down. The staff reassured me that they have no such plans and that the business is doing well enough and will continue to be in operation. I personally am very happy about it even if it has seen some trouble the past years. I truly love the briefcases they do.
Best,
Alex
Jimmy9lives

Thu Mar 25, 2021 6:48 pm

Britains 'free market' landlord, drug dealing and usury economy continues its destructive course. In due time all that there will be left will be glass towers standing in london with the idiots in them unable to even feed themselves.
Lugano

Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:20 pm

Foster and Son have left Jermyn Street, it appears.

They have a new workshop in Islington; appropriately enough the address is Northampton Street
andreyb

Mon Sep 20, 2021 2:16 am

Lugano wrote:
Sun Sep 19, 2021 11:20 pm
Foster and Son have left Jermyn Street, it appears.

They have a new workshop in Islington; appropriately enough the address is Northampton Street
They also changed the name to "Henry Maxwell": https://www.instagram.com/henrymaxwell1750/

As one knowledgable LL member explained to me, this is apparently due to rights of "Foster & Son" name belonging to the Japanese partners of the ill-fated RTW factory.

Andrey
Leonard Logsdail

Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:25 pm

I really hope that Savile Row can come out of this. And not just a few of the bigger names, either. In the end, it will depend on whether their cashflow can hold out.

Hopefully with the change by the US to allow international travel, these artisans can start forging forward.

Truthfully, it's been easier for me here in NYC. At least I have not had a travel ban! Never the less, business has suffered. After all, we need to actually touch our clients in order to do our job properly. This has not necessarily been desirable for many.

Business is showing signs of improvement. Hopefully it will still be the same when the Savile Row tailors can once again travel here
  • Information