Untipped vs. self-tipped -Which type of tie do you prefer?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Tinotti

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:42 am

Good morning Gentlemen,

I didn't see topic for new users, it is my first post on this forum so i'm greeting here.

I would like to ask you about your tie preferences., untipped tie ir self-tipped? Personally, I'm not a big fan of untipped neckties, I think a self-tipped look more elegant. What is your opinion on this topic?

PS Is it possible to add a poll here?

Untipped

Self-tipped

Milo

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:49 am

WelcomeTinotti!

I prefer tipped ties over untipped ones as this gives some weight and volume.

Milo
davidhuh

Wed Jun 05, 2019 11:14 pm

Dear Tinotti,

I don't have a preference - it depends on the occasion. Untipped ties are less formal. As I'm wearing ties 18 hours a day, they are often untipped or knit ties. Self tipped ties usually are more conservative and occupy the more serious space in my dressing habits.

Cheers, David
Scot

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:09 am

Don't get me started. I don't know a great deal about tie construction but the question for me is whether they are unlined (and untipped) or lined/multi-fold. I detest unlined ties. I guess they are supposed to convey sprezzatura - you know, that thing where you spend a great deal of time and effort trying to look like you haven't, but actually they end up looking affected and messy. I mean, why bother? And it has become almost impossible to buy decent ties of a proper width and heft these days, especially from a certain English tie maker that used to be a staple. :evil:
L.deJong

Thu Jun 06, 2019 9:11 am

Scot wrote:
Don't get me started. I don't know a great deal about tie construction but the question for me is whether they are unlined (and untipped) or lined/multi-fold. I detest unlined ties. I guess they are supposed to convey sprezzatura - you know, that thing where you spend a great deal of time and effort trying to look like you haven't, but actually they end up looking affected and messy. I mean, why bother? And it has become almost impossible to buy decent ties of a proper width and heft these days, especially from a certain English tie maker that used to be a staple. :evil:
I have one really 'old' tie from that certain English tie maker. That is indeed self-tipped and has a prober with and heft.
They don't make them that way anymore (that certain English tie maker that is).
Tinotti

Thu Jun 06, 2019 2:40 pm

Scot wrote:
Unlined is good for grenadine and wool, i do not think that anyone makes a 3 fold silk tie. It is too thin, must be some interlining inside. What is proper width for you? What is the proper width for You?
Last edited by Tinotti on Fri Jun 07, 2019 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rob O

Thu Jun 06, 2019 11:43 pm

I prefer untipped, for what it’s worth. Maybe I’m susceptible to the Pitti juggernaut.
Noble Savage

Fri Jun 07, 2019 12:07 am

People look at the knot you make with the tie, no matter what the construction of it is. That's what counts.
Screaminmarlon

Sun Jun 09, 2019 3:31 pm

Both.
It depends on the occasion, formality, season, caprice of the day :lol:
  • Information