Burganday, bottle-green socks, etc.

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

pgolden

Mon Dec 19, 2005 4:38 am

In some of the illustatrations from AA, I noticed that burgandy, bottle-green and other colorful socks are worn. Any suggestions on where they can be found. I've looked and seem only to come upon them by accident at a variety of stores.
TVD

Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:54 am

Colourful patterned socks are very difficult to find, especially in acceptable quality and knee length.

If you like plain colours, Berluti's London shops stock a large range (including greens and purples), both in cotton and wool. For darker colours you can also try Falke.
Concordia

Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:39 pm

Ben Silver. There is a series of Italian wool socks that have the catalogue code "WSX..." Burgundy and Tartan Green are two of the offered shades.

They are sized, and pretty good quality. I wear those very colors for weekends and casual days in the office, sometimes mixing pairs. (Green on the starboard ankle, naturally).

http://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefront. ... 63&group=3
whittaker

Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:21 pm

Finding a nice selection at Alain Figaret in Paris I took advantage and bought several pairs. Not a recommendation however, more a note of caution. They proved of poor durability.
TVD

Mon Dec 19, 2005 9:26 pm

When Figaret had a shop in Bond Street, I bought some of their socks. The cotton faded rapidly, and the wool deteriorated to leave little but the 20% artificial fibre they use for reinforcement. Not a good experience.

The Berluti socks, while pricier, have proven far more satisfactoy. Especially their cotton is a favourite of mine. It has a smooth and somewhat shiny finish (unlike some of the fluffy soft stuff on offer elsewhere). Very durable though, I find, and cool in summer. They do not fade when washed.
whittaker

Tue Dec 20, 2005 8:22 pm

The Berluti socks, while pricier, have proven far more satisfactoy. Especially their cotton is a favourite of mine. It has a smooth and somewhat shiny finish (unlike some of the fluffy soft stuff on offer elsewhere). Very durable though, I find, and cool in summer. They do not fade when washed.
Lovely. I'll give them a try. Thank you, TVD.
pemazel

Wed Dec 21, 2005 12:42 pm

pgolden wrote:In some of the illustatrations from AA, I noticed that burgandy, bottle-green and other colorful socks are worn. Any suggestions on where they can be found. I've looked and seem only to come upon them by accident at a variety of stores.
I very much appreciatie the numbered Falkes(Luxury Line). Nr 6 for example is a nice blend of silk and wool. There are lighter coloured socks as well. Expect prices around € 20. See www.falke.com (on line shopping). I order them via a shop wich sells the regular Falkes.

Paul
manton

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:13 pm

We in New York must be lucky. Paul Stuart and Barney's both have excellent sock selections. Flusser and Saks are not bad either. Kos has some good stuff. And Kabbaz sells Pantherella.
uppercase

Wed Dec 21, 2005 3:50 pm

"There are only a handful of companies competing at the highest end of the men's socks market in Italy, including Gallo, Bresciani and Story Loris. Outside Italy, there are thought to be only two others: Pantherella from Britain and the Paris-based Doré Doré which was bought by Colombo in 2003."

http://www.bresciani.it/stampa_int_hera ... 1_2005.htm

I bumped into the small but fabulous Gallo store, Via Manzoni, Milan and they have wonderful socks - unusual patterns and colors, all tasteful. Quite different to the blood red and neon blue that one typically finds in London when hunting for socks out the ordinary.
TVD

Wed Dec 21, 2005 5:35 pm

Those very bright colours so popular in London truly fall into the "something for the weekend" category. I recall Martin Amies ridiculed this fashion somewhere.

They can work, but only those colours that are beautiful in their own right (as opposed to just garrish), and only if used expertly to create a flamboyant and yet pleasing contrast.

Germany only does hosiery that is either dark (acceptable, but formal), or shades of beige / brown. Creates the unpleasent impression of naked untanned skin. Not pleasant. I find Falke's attempts at colour prove that their designer is actually colourblind. Their dark socks are some of the best that are available, though. I adore their Bristol range.
Leon

Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:50 pm

Concordia wrote: I wear those very colors for weekends and casual days in the office, sometimes mixing pairs. (Green on the starboard ankle, naturally).

http://www.bensilver.com/fs_storefront. ... 63&group=3
Concordia, you wear odd socks on purpose? I eliminated blue socks from my wardrobe, after confusing black for blue and vice versa in the morning. Don't you have to deal with smart arsed comments all day?

Leon
Concordia

Thu Dec 22, 2005 3:02 am

Only once in a blue moon. Anyway, those socks are really quite dark, so only someone looking for trouble would find it. And most people who do catch it also get the reference.

They are also seasonally appropriate, and I therefore typically mix for our Christmas party.

And on the water, of course, the Rules are a little different. Not that sailors often wear socks in August.

BTW, there is another solution for the navy vs. black problem-- get different brands. I get navy from Ben Silver [same line as the burg/green ones referenced above], grey from Pantherella, and black from Brooks Bros. They are all different enough in texture from one another that there is no confusing them. For good measure, the Brooks Brothers Golden Fleece has a mustard-colored ring around the top. No mistakes possible. Now, if I could only figure out an easy way to sort mid-grey from the charcoal Pantherellas.

Ben Silver has yet another solution, which is to put a red heel on black socks and blue on the comparable navy model.

[edited for clarity 12/24/05]
Last edited by Concordia on Sat Dec 24, 2005 6:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Leon

Fri Dec 23, 2005 11:38 pm

Good suggestion Concordia. Until recently I got all my over the calf socks only from Scott Nichols. They have my size.

My casual short socks have alternate heels and toes, but I have never seen the same variegated colour scheme on over the calf socks.

Leon
bengal-stripe

Sat Dec 24, 2005 11:41 am

Leon wrote: but I have never seen the same variegated colour scheme on over the calf socks.
I know the problem. I have plenty of long grey and blue socks, which are almost, but not quite, the same. With some the colour is a bit lighter/darker or the ribs a bit wider/narrower. After the lot had come out of the wash, I used to spend hours trying to work out which two socks made a pair and which did not.

I now have a box of safety pins next to my bed and a pair gets pinned together, before they hit the laundry basket and stay pinned together all the way through the washing machine. Safes a lot of effort sorting them into pairs.

I know, I should buy a dozen or so, pairs of identical socks in one go. I usually buy one or two pairs to see how they wear and wash, and after three month when I decide I like them and want to buy more of the same, the shop usually does not stock that particular design anymore. Preferably, buy a dozen of pairs in one go.

Rolf
  • Information