"Men of the Cloth"

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Aristide

Sat Dec 01, 2018 9:47 pm

Pardon if this fairly-recent (2017 release) Netflix piece has been previously mentioned, but the "search" function was not of much help. That said, I came upon this documentary last night on Netflix. The premise is the (2010) status of bespoke men's tailoring and the suggestion that it is in an irreversible decline. The piece follows a number of Italian/Sicilian young apprentices from the 1950's on, and their diaspora. Stories are told of coming to America and "making it", or returning to Italy and working for the Brioni factory, which, it is suggested, is the only real hope for the future. There is one young American apprentice and his arc that is chronicled, which makes an interesting story...but "he's no Old Henry". A lot on the NYC bespoke scene, but absolutely no mention of benchmade. An interesting 1+ hour on a dear topic. While the "demand" for bespoke is chronicled on this Board, the "supply" is focused upon in the documentary, giving a true perspective. There were some interesting insights into the psyche of some patrons, including a requirement for lining the inside flap of a tan linen jacket pocket in red (presumably as a nod to subtlety). Recommended.....
old henry

Sat Dec 01, 2018 10:58 pm

Aristide , Thank you for your words. This is worth watching to see the small town Italian tailor. He is ( was ) a True bench tailor. The Brioni boss brother or cousin I believe. And the top Brioni boss say how much admiration he has for him and that he is the real success. The real hero in his small shop. The brioni guy is beautiful too. The girl that did this tried to get funding from Maruizio and Fiotavante but they didn't want to pay for a Brioni factory or Nino Corvato infomercial. I don't blame them. That was 15 years ago.
couch

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:50 am

Thanks, Aristide for letting members know that this is now streaming.

The original thread is here.

A followup is here

NY Theatrical premiere.

Update: Most members know that Joe Centofanti, profiled in the film, died in 2011. His apprentice Joe Genuardi, also profiled in the film, in that year went on to become head tailor for Martin Greenfield in Brooklyn, where among other clients he made for President Obama and other notables. Since 2016 he has operated his solo bespoke business from Hoboken.
Wasser50

Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:00 am

Your right the search on Netflix showed nothing where did you find it ?
timjin

Sun Dec 02, 2018 3:54 pm

I did find it available on amazon prime if that’s an option for you.
Aristide

Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:17 pm

Gentlemen, my apologies. I misspoke; it is available on Amazon, Google Play, iTunes and Vimeo.

http://menoftheclothfilm.com/
old henry

Sun Dec 02, 2018 8:28 pm

Take note of the poem in the beginning.
  • Information