Dressed for the road...

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

E. Tage Larsen

Thu Dec 15, 2005 8:54 pm

I normally dress for comfort when flying but will reconsider after the other week. I returned, via Coach class, from Art Basel Miami Beach, where my gallery had a booth. It turned out that even in the "cheap seats" back to New York that I ended up sitting between a Director at the Whitney Museum and a lawyer that another branch of my office was doing some contract work with. With much luck, I was coming straight from the Fair and didn't have time to dumb-down my attire.
JLibourel

Fri Dec 16, 2005 12:58 am

Perhaps it's a generational thing, but I still like to wear coat and tie when travelling. I do think people in general are at least slightly more deferential to a well-dressed individual of either sex. However, my major reason for doing so is simply that if I arrive at my destination and fnd that my luggage has been delayed or misdirected, I shall still be decently dressed. Moreover, I like to wear coat and tie because it pleases me to do. I simply feel better about myself and life in general wearing a decent jacket and tie. The argument about dressing for comfort strikes me thoroughly specious, especially among men who frequent this forum. What indeed can be more comfortable than a bespoke garment perfectly tailored to the contours of your body?
E. Tage Larsen

Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:12 am

Dear Mr. JLibourel:

Please forgive any offense at my usage of "comfortable" above, which generally I equate with casual, as opposed to sloppy. I find I'm most comfortable in casual clothing and most assured and secure in formal attire. Where I'm nearly always quite comfortable in a jacket and tie, I'm most certainly never comfortable on an airplane.
exigent

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:50 pm

JMurphy wrote:Ambien!!!

E, I must say the Gokey's are a sublime touch...and I have to chime in on several fronts. I'm just back from a three-day trip--I was literally on the ground in front of customers in four time zones in a 60-hour round trip. Picked a helluva week to give up drinking...

Between what I wore and packed: two jackets, two trousers, eight shirts, one belt and one pair of shoes. Brands represented were limited to Isaia and Ferragamo. To the list add six sets of boxers/tees/socks. I took my iPod and B&O earphones (for you iPodists: try the Apple Lossless) and a couple books. Other than that a laptop and work files. I try to travel light although I'm not very good at it....

I, too, was a military man. My first plane ride took me (late in my 18th year) to basic training. My third plane ride was on my 19th birthday--I took off but never landed 8) and I think that in those days I probably carried more clothing in my ruck for 8 days in the field than I do now for a week long business trip...

You are a wild man, JM--your travel schedule alone would pulverize a lesser guy. When flying, I wear either a suit or a jacket with odd trousers, and carry one small Gladstone bag stuffed with boxer shorts, socks, shirts and ties. I bring a trenchcoat, wear a fedora or a trilby, and haul my Brigg hickory umbrella for good measure. One ensemble augmented by a great variety of accessories makes the ghastly flying experience just slightly less obnoxious, since it allows a fellow to lug the absolute minimum. (I do pack an extra pair of trousers, in case rubbish strikes....)
exigent

Fri Dec 16, 2005 6:56 pm

JLibourel wrote:Perhaps it's a generational thing, but I still like to wear coat and tie when travelling. I do think people in general are at least slightly more deferential to a well-dressed individual of either sex. However, my major reason for doing so is simply that if I arrive at my destination and fnd that my luggage has been delayed or misdirected, I shall still be decently dressed. Moreover, I like to wear coat and tie because it pleases me to do. I simply feel better about myself and life in general wearing a decent jacket and tie. The argument about dressing for comfort strikes me thoroughly specious, especially among men who frequent this forum. What indeed can be more comfortable than a bespoke garment perfectly tailored to the contours of your body?

You are exactly on-target, Jan--I agree emphatically!
David V

Fri Dec 16, 2005 9:07 pm

exigent wrote:

E, I must say the Gokey's are a sublime touch...and I have to chime in on several fronts. I'm just back from a three-day trip--I was literally on the ground in front of customers in four time zones in a 60-hour round trip. Picked a helluva week to give up drinking...

Between what I wore and packed: two jackets, two trousers, eight shirts, one belt and one pair of shoes. Brands represented were limited to Isaia and Ferragamo. To the list add six sets of boxers/tees/socks. I took my iPod and B&O earphones (for you iPodists: try the Apple Lossless) and a couple books. Other than that a laptop and work files. I try to travel light although I'm not very good at it....

I, too, was a military man. My first plane ride took me (late in my 18th year) to basic training. My third plane ride was on my 19th birthday--I took off but never landed 8) and I think that in those days I probably carried more clothing in my ruck for 8 days in the field than I do now for a week long business trip...

You are a wild man, JM--your travel schedule alone would pulverize a lesser guy. When flying, I wear either a suit or a jacket with odd trousers, and carry one small Gladstone bag stuffed with boxer shorts, socks, shirts and ties. I bring a trenchcoat, wear a fedora or a trilby, and haul my Brigg hickory umbrella for good measure. One ensemble augmented by a great variety of accessories makes the ghastly flying experience just slightly less obnoxious, since it allows a fellow to lug the absolute minimum. (I do pack an extra pair of trousers, in case rubbish strikes....)
Where do you stow the hat? On my last flight, all of the overheads were filled to capacity with baggage. I was just able to place my rolled up coat above my own bag.
BirdofSydney

Sat Dec 17, 2005 1:49 am

I shall reiterate my earlier sentiments, and heartily concur with Messrs. Exigent, Murphy, Libourel &c.

Even leaving aside questions of snobbery or plebianism, there is the issue of practicality. Carry-on baggage space is at a premium. Wearing a suit means not having to stow that same suit. When I'm out of town, I have neither the time nor the inclination to have my garments pressed, even if I did know of somewhere that I was confident to let near them! Shoes, likewise, are space-consuming when treed and bagged, and bad things happen to them when they're not.

The latter problem is somewhat exacerbated by my habitual buying of shoes when I'm out of town, as very little can be had here. I have discovered, to my unmitigated delight, that female attendants never, ever say no when I ask if I can carry on a suitably classy shopping bag with a shoe box or two in addition to the rest of my baggage.

As for the capacity to influence, I wholly agree that it is not merely, or even chiefly, the airline staff that one is trying to impress. Fellow travellers - and especially those of the fairer sex - ought to be treated with respect, and I would not want to miss the opportunity to make a professional contact, to say nothing of a dinner date. It is a public place, after all, even though many passengers seem to act like it is an extension of their lounge room.

To be sure, a good many of the gentlemen here are in the United States. I have flown domestically Stateside, as well as heard myriad horror stories, and I should clarify, Australian air travel is definately a cut above. Price competition in the domestic market is starting to settle down, and I guess competition on service is replacing it. I would not be so vulgar as to presume preferential treatment on the quality of my necktie, but rather elegant attire is an extension of my entire presentation as a person. It is that presentation which, I hope, portrays a savvy, experienced flyer, a professional man, and the kind of person who will be delighted at a copy of the Financial Review left over from first class, rather than the tabloid garbage that they distribute in coach. I have no problem with asking - or for more coffee, or this or that - but, I am finding that I'm increasingly being offered these things without needing to. This makes me happy.

I'm going to be away for four days around the New Year - mostly pleasure - and plan to pack roughly the following:

Black wool suit - flexible enough for the evening, and I know that I won't be attending to any black tie.
Navy wool/cotton suit - more casual, more summery, and the jacket can be worn with light trousers.
Blue jeans - for ducking out in the middle of the night for gelati, or liquor for that matter.
Cotton or linen trousers in a light colour - to wear alone or with the blue jacket, heat depending.
Two dress shirts and two ties - for shopping on the Thursday and the Friday. One cannot get an proper idea of whether one likes a new tie, jacket, etc, without actually trying it against your own clothes, I find. (I made the mistake once of taking only a black suit on holidays, and was quite unable to satisfactorily get the measure of a pair of brown shoes!)
Three casual shirts (probably Liberty florals) - for the weekend. One more than I need, to give me some choice. They scarcely add bulk to the luggage.
Black Gucci loafers - these go anywhere and everywhere. I bought them on holidays, and every time I go back to Melbourne, the staff marvel at how well I've preserved them! I almost certainly will buy some kind of new shoes on the trip.
Socks, furnishings, belts, linen and silk pocket squares to taste.

This should all fit in one duffel bag plus a light garment bag. I found a nice duffel in camel coloured heavy felt, with brown leather trim, though the faux-gold finish zips may be a little bit de trop. If I don't find a nicer one before my trip (my current black bag is on it's very last legs), I suppose I shall be able to have it for about $70 in the post-christmas sales. Inexplicably, it has two wheels protruding from one bottom edge, but no handle to pull it by. Not that I would, but this incongruous detail troubles me.

Cheers all, and thanks for your comments,

Eden
exigent

Sun Dec 18, 2005 1:27 am

David V wrote:
exigent wrote:

Where do you stow the hat? On my last flight, all of the overheads were filled to capacity with baggage. I was just able to place my rolled up coat above my own bag.

Excellent question, DV. I used to own a tasteful fabric bag for storage onboard, but the thing got revoltingly messy. I now assume that overhead compartments will be filled to bursting, and therefore carry four or five ugly-but-useful large black garbage bags with tie closures, into which I summarily stuff hat and folded trenchcoat, before shoving the tidy bundle under the seat in front of me. This less elegant solution benefits from distinct advantages: it is both sanitary and low-key enough to avoid critical commentary by cabin staff. In addition, the used bag may be discarded upon arrival, since the folks who "clean" planes between flights need job security, too.

We no longer fly first-class, preferring business instead, but restrictions are such that even the extra fare above cattle does not guarantee a peaceful trip..., as you likely know. My umbrella also gets wrapped up and laid upon the floor (I always insist on a window seat, where foot travel is not a concern).

I simply loathe flying.
  • Information