Men of the Cloth Documentary

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Camicia

Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:12 am

(I felt certain that this topic must have been covered here before, but my search didn't turn up anything.)

I saw Men of the Cloth, a documentary about Italian bespoke tailors and the future of hand tailoring. (Bleak). The panel afterwards included the filmmaker, Vicki Vasilopoulos, Joe Genuardi, a master tailor at Martin Greenfield, Nino Corvato and Rory Duffy, master tailors with their own businesses, Obadiah Mazo, the head pattern maker at Martin Greenfield, and George Hahn, a menswear blogger. I believe that Vasilopoulos said the film would be available on PBS at some future time. Highly recommended.
couch

Wed Feb 24, 2016 4:52 am

Camicia, thanks for refreshing this discussion. Here's the original thread. I met Joe Genuardi early in his apprenticeship with Joe Centofanti in Ardmore. Very nice fellow, as is evident in the film. A reminder to members that the DVD can be purchased on Vicki's web site in case a local screening is not available. Good to hear that it will get PBS exposure.

On a related note, some may not have seen Tailored Stories, an oral history of Savile Row (viewable online). The web site also makes available the raw interviews that were edited down to the final film. Fascinating glimpses into the life and times of many stalwarts of the Row, and not just the cutters.
Camicia

Wed Feb 24, 2016 6:39 pm

couch,

Thank you for the link. I just knew that a forum like this had to have discussed "Men of the Cloth". I've watched some of the Savile Row series. It was discussed on The Notebook blog, and a link also was posted on the Cutter and Tailor forum. It's wonderful.
  • Information