God bless Saville Row

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Dr T

Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:53 pm

Last week was a nice reminder of the great tailors we have in Saville Row. Saville Row Style magazine had an event at the May Fair Hotel.
I met up with messrs Kent and Lachter just outside the venue closely followed by Edward Sexton. Inside was a real mixture of the good and great, with many of the well known leaders of tailoring . Its rare to see them all together and to appreciate what a power house of skill is in the area.
Many thanks to my tailors for inviting me – Benson and Clegg.
It was a great evening – with some very witty conversation from James CottrelI .
pur_sang

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:32 am

I don't mean to be rude, but why do people misspell Savile Row all the time?
vancehn

Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:39 am

pur_sang wrote:I don't mean to be rude, but why do people misspell Savile Row all the time?
Perhaps our distinguished member Hectorm has an answer to that.
hectorm

Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:49 pm

Dear vancehn,
It seems that I´ve been answering way too many questions. :oops:
But if a LL member asks something that I think I know or (most of the time) that I learn in the process, I consider good fellowship sharing.
In this case, I think that people in this forum often misspell Savile because they are mostly very cultured people who know too many words with similar phonetically ending that are spelt "i-l-l-e" (Bastille, Tocqueville, Seville, etc.). Words ending in the letters "i-l-e" are mostly pronounced like mile, tile, bile, etc. We misspell by (too clever) association. :)
Miles Messervy

Fri Jul 25, 2014 2:06 pm

A better display of gentlemanliness could not exist! I respectfully and admiringly bow to your words there, hectorm!
Dr T

Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:58 pm

Sad to report, Ken Austin of Benson and Clegg retires today, a great tailor and a good friend for the last 12 years.
  • Information