Orson Welles at the tailors

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

alden

Tue Jun 19, 2012 8:34 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bPC6J-K6Utw&t=4m3s

He is at the firm of Ernst & Blofeld, no wonder!

Cheers
old henry

Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:52 pm

hilarious and accurate
old henry

Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:30 pm

All yanks should watch this including ghostmonk .. It is very Funny.
Scot

Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:57 pm

old henry wrote:All yanks should watch this including ghostmonk .. It is very Funny.
Hilarious, but accurate? Not in my experience.
old henry

Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:27 am

Oh , come on. Dont take life so seriously.
Have a sense of Humour. Be Sicilian..
hectorm

Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:25 am

Actually Orson Welles´s film (at least the scenes starting at 4:29) are accurately based on a true story.
It takes place at a certain tailor's shop in Cazenovia, NY. Frank knows it well. :D
old henry

Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:41 pm

hahahahah..thats a good one Heck..
cathach

Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:44 pm

Its an old one, of course but Welles misquotes it a bit:

Cf. 13th-cent. Fr. dent de chael, pé de cheval, cul d'enfant ne sunt pas a crere, a dog's tooth, a horse's hoof, and a baby's bottom are not to be trusted.
Till horsis fote thou never traist, Till hondis tooth, no womans faith.
[c 1383 John of Fordun Scotichronicon (1759) II. xiv. xxxii.]
Trust not 3 things. Dogs teeth. Horses feete. Womens Protestations.
[1585 S. Robson Choice of Change K2]
Three things are not to be trusted—a cow's horn, a dog's tooth and a horse's hoof.
[1910 P. W. Joyce English as We speak it in Ireland 110]
He was‥beginning to worry about being employed by a venomous Englishman. ‘Four things not to trust,’ said the Cashelmor proverb: ‘a dog's tooth, a horse's hoof, a cow's horn, and an Englishman's laugh.’
[1948 T. H. White Elephant & Kangaroo xiii.]

and in Ulysses: horn of a cow, tooth of a dog, smile of a Saxon.
ghostmonk

Sun Oct 07, 2012 12:27 pm

I find that a 6'5" Texan with a pronounced accent and a tendency to frown keeps the cracks to a minimum. Movies have seen to that. Most of my British friends are afraid that I'm going to draw my six shooter at any time!

The Texan accent in England is the opposite of the British accent in Texas wherein it closes more doors than it opens. In Texas if you have a British accent the world is your oyster. In England if you have a Texan the perception is quite different. The movies make us out to be different than we are I'm afraid.
dempsy444

Wed Oct 10, 2012 11:25 pm

ha! hillarious. I would love to see John Cleese make such a parody... something along the lines of fawlty towers.
old henry

Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:15 am

That would be perfect. Benny Hill would make a good one too.
Did you ever untangle the Huntsman disaster ?
dempsy444

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:20 am

old henry wrote:That would be perfect. Benny Hill would make a good one too.
Did you ever untangle the Huntsman disaster ?
Hi Frank,

Things seem to be back on track. I had a fitting recently and the adjustments they made seemed to correct the problems. The coat had nice balance and had that lean and long fit Huntsman is known for, but was comfortable. There are just a few minor things to adjust still. You never know until the end though, so we'll see.
old henry

Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:02 pm

thats over a year, no ? stick with Despos.
dempsy444

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:32 pm

Well, Despos is excellent. He made a black peak lapel suit for my wedding and I couldn’t have been more pleased with the process and outcome. He has a meticulous nature which helps and I get to Chicago a lot more often than London so it makes for a more conducive relationship. I really like how he does his shoulder too. I plan to commission my next suit from him.

In the end, I’ll judge Huntsman on the final outcome. If they ultimately get the suit right, and it appears they might, then I’ll forget about the hiccup along the way and just chalk it up to the complications involved in the travelling bespoke process.

There are a lot of American customers like me who live in cities that don’t have a local option for bench made bespoke. Most of my friends buy Italian OTR as a result. Eventually, a newbie like me gets the itch to go bespoke and we see that a SR tailor will be in our city next month. In fairness, their effort fills a real gap and provides an option we didn’t’ think we had. Unfortunately, a long distance process like this doesn’t come without its challenges, and if I could do it all over again, I would have waited until I was a bit more experienced before taking it on.

It does make me wonder though why more elite American tailors, like you and Chris, don’t try to fill this gap. I suspect a lot of 30 something men looking to commission their first bespoke suit in cities like Los Angeles or San Francisco, aren’t even aware that such a standard of bespoke exists in the US. By visiting such areas, American tailors would make them aware over time and get a nice tax deductible weekend vacation in the process;) You could go to wine country in San Francisco or get some of the southern California sun in the winter;)
old henry

Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:48 pm

"I would have waited until I was a bit more experienced before I took this on" ???. What the Hell is in that?
Considering the price they charge one would think that they would take care of you. Its bullshit.
  • Information