If you could have only one Tweed suit ....

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

hectorm

Tue May 01, 2012 4:43 pm

Melcombe wrote:...the pattern and drape of tweed looks entirely different in volume to how it appears in the sample book. Having gone there with an idea about a Cheviot with a purple overcheck that I had seen in sample, it turned out to be just too overwhelming on a larger scale
It is very true that the pattern and drape of tweed may look entirely different in large surfaces from what you can see in small patches. But it´s also true that those patterns look very different on the bolt from what they look on a finished finely tailored and well matched garment.
What sometimes looks overwhelming and even garish for our eyes and mind on a "toga" wrap, it becomes "readable" and lovely once it has sleeves, lapels, pocket flaps, and above all, movement.
The opposite might be also true: having chosen for myself a very rich green herringbone pattern with thin rust and yellow overchecks (a bit intimidating in the patch) it turned out a little boring and undistinguished on the jacket.
In any case, I think that Melcombe has provided very good insight that we all appreciate.
st.tully

Sun May 06, 2012 12:40 pm

hectorm wrote:St. tully,
you are receiving good advice in this thread.
I would just add that if you are in the process of choosing your one and only tweed, you might want to browse the book, edited by Johnstons of Elgin, Scottish Estate Tweeds. It´s mainly pictures of tweeds with short notes about them. Besides getting good ideas about colors and patterns, you will also learn about their history and provenance. I believe this will make wearing your suit still more pleasurable.

http://www.amazon.com/Scottish-Estate-T ... 0952532905
Hectorm,

Thank you for recommending this book. I have spent the weekend learning and enjoying the history of these tweeds - great examples!! Some real lovely muted but still colorful tweeds. Most of these tweeds were designed to be used - as in provide cover out in the field and blend into the natural surroundings. Love them all!! Maybe I need two tweed suits :)

Cheers, st.tully
alden

Sun May 06, 2012 1:43 pm

If I could have only one tweed suit (horrid thought), it would be a plain herringbone in a light color.

Cheers
  • Information