Looking for a tailor and a cobbler in southern Germany

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

nixxbox

Tue Apr 13, 2010 1:44 pm

Hello gentlemen,

Can you recommend me a tailor in southern Germany? I live in Nuremberg, but will gladly drive around, if there're no good artisans nearby. So, if you know good tailors in Munich, Frankfurt, Stuttgart, Karlsruhe (and nearby cities,) please do suggest them. Same about cobblers.

I'm slowly transitioning to bespoke clothing, so I would like to find both bespoke tailors and a good alterations tailor who knows a thing or two about suits. I'm going to try to make the best of the RTW clothes I have so far. (One jacket ruined by an alteration tailor so far.)

I know, I should've sumbitted this to German subforum, probably, but it appears pretty inactive.

Thanks for your help

nixxbox
Hesketh

Wed Apr 14, 2010 4:24 pm

Pooles and Davis both come to Frankfurt, as does John Lobb.
Sorry but I don't know any good German ones.
Rob
nixxbox

Wed Apr 14, 2010 6:01 pm

Hesketh wrote:Pooles and Davis both come to Frankfurt, as does John Lobb.
Rob
Thanks, Rob!
Castle

Fri Apr 16, 2010 8:38 pm

I can recommend POSH Schuhe, Friedrichstr. 230, Berlin. Both bespoke and repair.

Have you decided on the style of the bespoke suits etc. you prefer? You'll find lots of examples here to make up your mind. If possible don't restrict your decision by geography.

Castle
nixxbox

Tue Apr 20, 2010 7:27 am

Castle wrote:I can recommend POSH Schuhe, Friedrichstr. 230, Berlin. Both bespoke and repair.

Have you decided on the style of the bespoke suits etc. you prefer? You'll find lots of examples here to make up your mind. If possible don't restrict your decision by geography.

Castle
Thanks, I'll note that address.

Yes, I have ideas for a couple of suits to be made. I was just thinking that if I find some tailor relatively close to Nuremberg, I could get the suits made sooner than if I go with visiting tailors or fly to UK or Italy myself.

nixxbox
Cocteau

Thu Sep 22, 2011 4:21 am

Hello,
I have previously bought a pair of monks at Vickermann&Stoya in Baden Baden. Being my first bespoke pair I cannot compare to other ones. The craftsmanship and the finish are way superior to shoes by Ed Meier (which are made by C&J as far as I know) and Ludwig Reiter. I am not 100% satisfied with how the form turned out but since I have size 15 feet it's difficult to get them slim and elegant on the first try so mine look a bit too "German" for my taste. This is mainly due to my foot form. There are more elegant ones one display though. Fit and the feeling on my feet are phantastic though. After having moved to Singapore I ordered a second pair by mail, based on photos and sketches. Curious, how it will turn out.

The cobblers have their lasts made outside and then make adaptions in their workshop which can be visited and is located directly behind the shop. They work with 2 or 3 people I think, so everything is done by themselves. The whole atmosphere is very much a craftsmanship aura what I prefer to the atmosphere of a luxury boutique. The pricing is rather moderate too.

When I come across a camera I might post photos here.

Cocteau
davidhuh

Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:57 am

Dear nixxbox,

have you considered Vienna? Several shoemakers with excellent reputation and also good tailors coming out of a long tradition. Plus the best cloth shop in Central Europe (Wilhelm Jungmann & Neffe) - worth a trip on its own.

cheers, david
Cocteau

Sun Sep 25, 2011 5:51 am

Please excuse the poor photographic quality, other than most other photos of this quality they are not bad becqause by camera is too bad, but because im a terrible photographer. I would like to have a more elegant shape at this size. In case you have any tips for changes on the last form, please feel free to comment.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

regards
cocteau
TimMureau

Fri Nov 04, 2011 11:18 pm

Max Dietl in Munich is one of the best German tailors as far as I know: http://www.maxdietl.com
  • Information