Full Review - Richard Lim Tailor & Finished Summer Jacket

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

coolal

Thu May 12, 2011 9:44 pm

LL Members: This has been cross posted from StyleForum, however, I feel the bespoke quality from this shop is worthy of LL attention. I hope you enjoy!

This review has been a long time coming. I really wanted to make sure I had taken the time to develop a relationship with the shop and a feel for their ability to hone in on style and fit.

I first started using Richard Lim in January of 2009. Since then, I’ve had three jackets commissioned and one pair of trousers. The third jacket is the navy Brisa summer jacket that I’m showing today. This jacket represents the convergence of three goals: 1) Hone in on fit 2) Find the most appropriate construction technique 3) Find a unique stylistic marker to set the jacket apart, subtly.

Richard Lim

House Style:

First off, Richard and his shop High Society do not have a “house style”. This is one of those things that subtly influences their bespoke process and makes it somewhat different than most of the experiences I have read about.

The biggest difference is that there is ZERO push back when it comes to stylistic choices. I’ve never had to fight against a prevailing opinion on how something ought to look. Richard Lim and his staff are more than happy to execute almost any stylistic choice and flair that I can think of.

This does lead to one word of caution. The experience with Richard works best if you already know what you want. Because there is no prevailing house style that they are most comfortable with, it becomes very easy to end up ordering something you may not like stylistically; simply because there are so many options.

Richard and My Cutter Hann With the Finished Jacket
Image Image

That said, if you have a rough notion of what you’d like, or better yet, an idea of what you really don’t like; they are more than equipped to guide you on the detailed choices and help with every step of the decision process.

There are two prevailing characteristic to every jacket I’ve seen from Richard: the lapel roll is absolutely lovely. It’s the first thing the catches my eye on every piece I’ve been shown. Second is the line the lapel follows from the gorge to the quarters. It’s very X shaped, which leads to tastefully open quarters. Something I really love.

Additionally, a little detail I’ve noticed from jacket to jacket is the subtle creative license Richard Lim takes when interpreting finishing details that were not specifically covered. From what I’ve seen on my jackets and the ones I’ve inspected in the shop, the details really change depending on the fabric used and the overall look of the jacket. At the end of the day, I trust my requests to go through Richard’s sartorial filter and end up better for it.

Construction Methods:

Basted Fitting

Standard: The standard construction is fully canvassed, with hand padded chest, collar and lapels. On the jackets, every visible stitch is done by hand. The shoulders are constructed to preference. During my basted try-on, the jacket is a completely natural shoulder. Wadding or padding is added if desired. The summer jacket has a bit of cotton padding in each shoulder.

Optionally, Richard can construct jackets with half canvass construction and fully fused when requested. The lining options also spread the gamut from fully unlined, with all seams lined and taped down, to quarter / half lined, and special requests.

The summer jacket is fully canvassed, self lined in the chest, and piped with the same fabric that lines the arms and finishes the seams. I specifically stated that I wanted to make the jacket as light and airy as possible without using fusing.

Depending on the type of lining you have, it’ll either be felled by hand or machine. My first jacket used a vintage silk lining that was felled by hand. The second was bemberg and that was felled by machine.

All work is done on the premises in a workshop behind the front showroom. It’s truly amazing that they can combine onsite manufacturing with a bespoke process at the prices they charge.

Something to keep in mind:

Every time I’ve walked into Richard's shop, there is always at least one garment hanging for some type of entertainment industry client. The last few times I saw some of the pieces that Prince will / has already worn on stage for his American tour. Other times there are suits ready to be worn on set and during awards show season, even more outfits ready for the red carpet.

What I’m trying to get at is the fact that this shop is VERY used to working with designers. Their whole approach is geared towards the type of client who really wants to get exactly what they’re thinking of. There was zero pushback when I brought in a sketch of what I wanted my second jacket to look like. Most recently, when I walked in with a cardboard lapel shaper, they were more than happy to use it for my next jacket.

How It Started

More importantly, they will also tell you when they don’t have the experience to pull something off. I have yet to run into this and looking around the shop (they also work with leather and accessories) I can’t imagine where their expertise ends.

First shot of the finished product

Pricing:

The pricing is where Richard Lim goes from being a good find to a well kept industry secret. My suspicion is that between the loyal Korean clientele, designers / costume artists, and the rare person who discovers them independently, they really don’t get much (if any) press.

C.M.T for jackets starts at $545 and $250 for trousers. The pricing model reflects the individual needs of clients, thus special requests add to the cost. For example, hand pick stitching will add $25 while hand sewn working button holes will increase the cost about $35.

One fitting is standard. If you need additional fittings factored into the schedule, such as a forward fitting, this also adds to the price (~$35). From my experience, the first fitting is already so dead on; I have never felt I needed another. Additionally, after the jacket is finished, Richard Lim has ALWAYS performed any needed tweaks, at no additional cost. My suspicion is that if you need more fittings before completion, this is what adds to the final price.

The final price for my jacket, with all requested details was $625 + tax. In particular, the lining technique and working button holes added to the cost.

To say that I’m happy with Richard Lim is a profound understatement. Before finding his shop, I considered the $800-900 range fair ground for a really decent jacket. That’s, RTW, mind you; from a place like Facconable where I used to do almost all my shopping. Now I can’t imagine ever paying anywhere near that for RTW, let alone ever wanting to buy off the rack again.

Shots from the front, right and back

Last edited by coolal on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:49 am, edited 4 times in total.
coolal

Fri May 13, 2011 2:19 am

Detail shots:

Interior Detail

Open Peak and Barchetta Pocket

Sleeve with Blunted Corner

Sleeve and Vent Blunted Corners
Last edited by coolal on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:50 am, edited 2 times in total.
Costi

Fri May 13, 2011 6:04 am

Very good job, Coolal! Excellent choice of construction, it puts the weave to advantage - you WILL be very cool wearing it :wink:
A well rounded-off coat, much the like subtle theme you adopted.
Rowly

Fri May 13, 2011 7:34 am

Congratulations Coolal! The jacket is lovely. I like the high button stance and the nicely shaped tailoring. The length gives a nice flare giving a nice tailored look, while still looking very comfortable.I might have made the pocket flaps a little deeper for proportion, but that is purely personal taste. The cloth is a lovely colour of blue...do you know what weight it is?
.... regards,Rowly.
Rob O

Fri May 13, 2011 12:07 pm

That is an outstanding blazer, congratulations. And such amazing value! I could only dream of finding such a good deal in the UK.
tteplitzmd

Fri May 13, 2011 6:00 pm

A very nice pictorial and commentary. You have highlighted one of the pleasures of dealing with some of the Asian tailors: no pushback. Some of the western tailors could learn a thing or two from that.

If you ask some of the Western tailors to deviate from their default work or styling, you can get dreadful results. They are either unable or unwilling to deviate. You're absolutely correct that with your tailor, it helps to know what you want. There is nothing wrong with letting an impressario choose for you, but that takes away from some of the fun in my opinion.
coolal

Fri May 13, 2011 6:03 pm

Costi wrote:Very good job, Coolal! Excellent choice of construction, it puts the weave to advantage - you WILL be very cool wearing it :wink:
A well rounded-off coat, much the like subtle theme you adopted.
Costi, thanks again. I listened to your suggestions about self lining the chest, so I have you to thank! I'm glad you appreciate the rounded theme.
Rowly wrote:Congratulations Coolal! The jacket is lovely. I like the high button stance and the nicely shaped tailoring. The length gives a nice flare giving a nice tailored look, while still looking very comfortable.I might have made the pocket flaps a little deeper for proportion, but that is purely personal taste. The cloth is a lovely colour of blue...do you know what weight it is?
.... regards,Rowly.
Hi Rowly, the navy Brisa is 13oz if I remember correctly. Thanks for your compliments! I will tweak the pocket flaps for my next order if a more classical look is needed. But I like the slightly trendier appearance these flaps add.
Rob O wrote:That is an outstanding blazer, congratulations. And such amazing value! I could only dream of finding such a good deal in the UK.
Thanks, Rob O. It truly is an amazing value. I feel like I discovered the best kept secret in American bespoke.
tteplitzmd wrote:A very nice pictorial and commentary. You have highlighted one of the pleasures of dealing with some of the Asian tailors: no pushback. Some of the western tailors could learn a thing or two from that.

If you ask some of the Western tailors to deviate from their default work or styling, you can get dreadful results. They are either unable or unwilling to deviate. You're absolutely correct that with your tailor, it helps to know what you want. There is nothing wrong with letting an impressario choose for you, but that takes away from some of the fun in my opinion.
tteplitzmd, my thoughts exactly :-) I'm glad you agree!
cdo

Sat May 14, 2011 5:38 pm

Sorry to be a dissenting voice but I find the cut and fit of the coat something one can get in RTW from Ralph Lauren or Brooks Brothers. The poster is young and athletic yet the coat seem to be cut with 'easy' measurements disguising his frame - perhaps this was deliberate but is not flattering. To me, the chest looks two-dimensional and listless, the shoulder-line indifferent and the armholes appear to be quite deep. Maybe others can explain to me what I am missing.

- C
Costi

Sun May 15, 2011 10:55 pm

cdo wrote:Maybe others can explain to me what I am missing.
I'll give it a try... :)
cdo wrote:Sorry to be a dissenting voice but I find the cut and fit of the coat something one can get in RTW from Ralph Lauren or Brooks Brothers.
If you're lucky, yes. And what is so bad about it? Bespoke is not about looking obviously "different". And a bespoke coat needn't scream that it is bespoke. On the contrary, I would say. It is certainly not as distinctive as a Neapolitan coat, for instance, but that is not a shortcoming.
cdo wrote:The poster is young and athletic yet the coat seem to be cut with 'easy' measurements disguising his frame - perhaps this was deliberate but is not flattering.
Perhaps the answer is in your very question - the wearer IS young and athletic, so he doesn't need to be flattered. I find the easy lines adequate for a summer blazer that is made to be breezy and informal. The coat envelops the body, rather than follow its contours closely - and it doesn't look shapeless to me (unless compared to a diving suit).
cdo wrote:To me, the chest looks two-dimensional and listless, the shoulder-line indifferent and the armholes appear to be quite deep.
Unless the photography makes it look so, the chest seems a little flat to me, too. The shoulder line is nothing to be noted from the opposite sidewalk (good or bad) and not everyone feels comfortable with very small armholes (particularly on a summer coat...).

My general impression is of a well-fitting coat (look at the sleeve, collar fit and front-back balance in the lateral picture) cut along easy lines without being loose (OK for an informal summer blazer) that doesn't try to be spectacular in any way, but rather comfortable and easygoing, with a subtle twist in details that speaks for the individuality of the wearer as he conceived of it.
My own blue Brisa blazer is not much different, except mine has traditional notch lapels, patch pockets and is a 3B rolled to 2.5. The construction is the same (lining) and it's not cut too close to the body (so it can breathe); I lost a few kilos since it was made and I think it's one of the few coats that I'm not going to have taken in :)
coolal

Mon May 16, 2011 2:53 am

Costi wrote:
cdo wrote:Maybe others can explain to me what I am missing.
I'll give it a try... :)
cdo wrote:Sorry to be a dissenting voice but I find the cut and fit of the coat something one can get in RTW from Ralph Lauren or Brooks Brothers.
If you're lucky, yes. And what is so bad about it? Bespoke is not about looking obviously "different". And a bespoke coat needn't scream that it is bespoke. On the contrary, I would say. It is certainly not as distinctive as a Neapolitan coat, for instance, but that is not a shortcoming.
cdo wrote:The poster is young and athletic yet the coat seem to be cut with 'easy' measurements disguising his frame - perhaps this was deliberate but is not flattering.
Perhaps the answer is in your very question - the wearer IS young and athletic, so he doesn't need to be flattered. I find the easy lines adequate for a summer blazer that is made to be breezy and informal. The coat envelops the body, rather than follow its contours closely - and it doesn't look shapeless to me (unless compared to a diving suit).
cdo wrote:To me, the chest looks two-dimensional and listless, the shoulder-line indifferent and the armholes appear to be quite deep.
Unless the photography makes it look so, the chest seems a little flat to me, too. The shoulder line is nothing to be noted from the opposite sidewalk (good or bad) and not everyone feels comfortable with very small armholes (particularly on a summer coat...).

My general impression is of a well-fitting coat (look at the sleeve, collar fit and front-back balance in the lateral picture) cut along easy lines without being loose (OK for an informal summer blazer) that doesn't try to be spectacular in any way, but rather comfortable and easygoing, with a subtle twist in details that speaks for the individuality of the wearer as he conceived of it.
My own blue Brisa blazer is not much different, except mine has traditional notch lapels, patch pockets and is a 3B rolled to 2.5. The construction is the same (lining) and it's not cut too close to the body (so it can breathe); I lost a few kilos since it was made and I think it's one of the few coats that I'm not going to have taken in :)
I have to say that Costi is quite on the money when it comes to my impression of this project. This was meant to be a comfortable jacket not only in construction but also in breathability. My last jacket from Richard Lim had higher armholes and a much more fashion forward fit. I would compare the feeling to a warm embrace. However, this jacket falls off my shoulders and lets the air circulate amazingly well.

With regards to the comment that Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren provide a comparable product that doesn't require the bespoke process; doesn't that negate the whole essence of the bespoke process?

I wanted a jacket that had lapels cut to my specification, detailed with a rounded theme, self lined chest, unlined back, all while using Navy Brisa cloth. I got all of these things and at a price that is equal to or perhaps even less than Brooks Brothers or Ralph Lauren. I believe that answers why I wouldn't consider their RTW or MTM options.

That said, I believe that this jacket can be improved upon in small ways. I'm going to wear it for a month or two and if I conclude that it needs to be taken and have the armholes adjusted, I'll have it done. For now, on a hot summer day this is the most comfortable jacket I own.
yialabis

Mon May 16, 2011 8:14 am

Coolal , well done . This is a fine jacket ...I like what you've done with the lapels and the work on the inside .
Let us know how it feels wearing it in the heat ..!!

Regards
Vassilis
Scot

Mon May 16, 2011 11:44 am

It's a very nice coat that fits you well. From what we can see the standard of finishing also seems to be high. Thank you for posting.
cdo

Thu May 19, 2011 1:24 pm

Alex, do you know if there was much ironwork used during the construction of the coat by your tailor?

- C
coolal

Thu May 19, 2011 7:59 pm

cdo wrote:Alex, do you know if there was much ironwork used during the construction of the coat by your tailor?

- C
I'm not absolutely sure, but my guess is that there is considerably less ironwork used when compared to English / Italian styles discussed here.
cdo

Thu May 19, 2011 10:10 pm

Having thought more about my original comment regarding the coat's fit and cut, the ease in the cut is fine (even if I think that a closer fit would compliment your physique better) but it could do with more three dimensional shaping in the chest and upper back especially around the shoulder blades. This isn't necessarily achieved by having garments skintight but with judicious use of the iron to help the cloth wrap gracefully around one's frame rather than draping straight down. When I asked my (then prospective) cutter about his ironwork, he simply replied, "The iron is as important as the needle."

- C
  • Information