Experience of Thom Sweeney?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

roberto_k

Mon Jan 17, 2011 5:30 pm

Hello all. I am a new member on the forum and a relative newcomer to the world of bespoke. I have been browsing the forum for a while and am finding it fascinating as well as hugely helpful.

Do any forum members have any experience of Thom Sweeney? If so, I should be most grateful if they would share their experiences. I have a couple of bespoke suits - one from Norton & Sons, the other from Graham Browne. I will more than likely return to Russell at Graham Browne for my "everyday" work suits in the future. However, I am contemplating adding some variety to my wardrobe by commissioning a suit from a more "edgy" (for want of a better expression) tailor. My (vague, admittedly) idea is to have a suit which would be versatile enough to wear to work when the mood takes me, but which would not look out of place on less formal occasions.

From the information I have gleaned on Thom Sweeney, it seems that they are youthful, consider themselves to have an eye for fashion, and they tend to cut a coat with a softer shoulder and less structure. On the latter point (and I have read the lively debate elsewhere on the forum with great interest!) my own preference for a formal suit is the silhouette offered by the classic English cut. However, I am curious whether that silhouette could, in my case, be achieved with less padding and structure. By going to TS, my hope is that I would have the scope to explore this (while still having the option to revert to more a classic English cut if I felt the softer look wasn't working for me) than I would, say, if I went to Anderson & Shepherd.

I intend to stop by their shop in person at some point in the next week or so, but any first-hand feedback from LL members would be very helpful and much appreciated.

Many thanks,

R

P.S. to the extent that it may be relevant, I am a City lawyer (so my suits for work tend to be on the conservative side) and in my early thirties.
JulesP

Fri Feb 18, 2011 1:34 pm

Hi Roberto_K

I'm little late replying to your post but i was lucky enough to indulge in the Thom Sweeney experience last October.
It was my first Bespoke and my first time with Thom Sweeney...I know you're thinking..."first time Bespoke with a tailor you've never used!!" and you're right i was a little apprehensive but i had heard so many good things about these guys that i decided to take the plunge anyway.
I do not regret it one bit!...they really know their stuff and I cannot praise them highly enough, they made the process so enjoyable and easy but most importantly the end result is amazing.
They truly make a beautiful garment.
I'm hooked by the whole Thom Sweeney thing and i'm pencilled in to go back in a few weeks time for a couple of Spring/Summer suits...i can't wait!
roberto_k

Wed Mar 23, 2011 3:33 pm

Hi Jules,

Thanks for the response. I actually went to meet Thom and Luke shortly after my original post and came away with very a good impression. I'd already pretty much decided to go to them for my next suit (probably over the spring/summer for something in time for the autumn) but it was reassuring to see positive feedback from a current customer.

Out of interest, what style of suit did you go for?

R
Pagoda

Thu Mar 24, 2011 8:38 am

May I ask in which price range Thom Sweeney operates?

P
mkirkhope

Wed May 25, 2011 7:56 am

I'm also looking at going to Thom Sweeney for my first bespoke so good to hear some good reviews. Have only heard good things about them. When I enquired about prices earlier in the year I think they started at about £1900 but that may have changed.
  • Information