The Myth of the Soft Shoulder

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

MTM

Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:45 pm

alden wrote:They support the argument for style. And that is the only argument that counts in my book. The clothes are very well done by Chan. I especially like the look of the tweed.

Thanks for sharing your photos.
Costi wrote:The tweed is particularly nicely done, indeed! Thanks for posting the pictures.
Talent sans frontieres... :)
Thank you very much, M and C. I've learned so much here that I'm glad to be able to contribute a little.

The tweed is my second coat from Chan. The fresco was first and made with a few fittings in HK. A few changes were made to the pattern, such as a little belly added to the lapels, slightly more rounded quarters, and slightly extended shoulders in the front. The fresco looks better in real life, since I believe I'm pulling my shoulders back in these pics. The effect is most obvious in the back shot with all the vertical folds, but I think you can see it in the arms on the side shot and the slimmer profile of the front one.

Do you have any thoughts on improvements to a third one? The breast pocket is a little lower on the tweed, for example, and I'm not sure which I prefer. Is it common to place them lower on more casual jackets?
mmkn2

Mon Nov 29, 2010 6:19 pm

Unless you are built like Daniel Craig below,

It is difficult to avoid, as Jefferyd puts it, the pear shape top-bottom balance [which in of itself is not bad, if desired], with softer tailoring . . .

Image.

A less casual looking balance is below,

Design principles [e.g., balance] aside, the "rounded" shoulders then fall in the category of personal preference.

- M
alden

Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:17 pm

It is difficult to avoid, as Jefferyd puts it, the pear shape top-bottom balance [which in of itself is not bad, if desired], with softer tailoring . . .
I know what Jeffery means but I do not see pears in the case of MTM's coats at all.

And natural tailoring (to continue with Amies definition) does not create a pear shape. But since it is natural and is not designed to hide anything, if the man's shape is a pear, his shape will be a pear in his natural clothing. The other choice for a Comice shaped man is to be Hercules in his clothes and a pear out of them. That is embarrassing for so many obvious reasons, so let's not even discuss it further. Another option would be to have natural clothes made that neither show nor hide all of a man's deficiencies, clothes that improve a few things without being ridiculous. And that is what most men go to tailors looking for.

The last and MOST desirable option is for a pear shaped man to get to the gym and get rid of the pear shape altogether and then wear whatever he likes. I know it can be done. Nearly sixty years old, I have just spent three months working out very hard, losing 10 kg and 8 cms from my waist in that time. I am now back to my 21 yr old specs. It can be done guys. So do it!

Cheers

Michael
MTM

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:00 pm

uppercase wrote:_...
So here are several photos of them in a soft shoulder as cut by A&S and Rubinacci today...what do you think?
I think those guys look pretty good in those suits for their age and body types. They certainly look happy to be themselves.
alden wrote:...

There are pictures of men wearing soft tailored clothes other than Manolo Blahnik, if you look for them. :lol:
Granted, using Gary Cooper, who was probably the most masculine figure of the last century along with Rudolf Valentino, is a bit unfair, so lets try these on for size..

Speaking of the devil...

That shot of Cooper and the one of Valentino look about as good as it gets imho.
mmkn2 wrote:Unless you are built like Daniel Craig below,

Image...
I'm no Daniel Craig, but I'm pretty happy w/ my build. If there's a shape I need to avoid it's looking like a bean pole. During a fitting at Chan, Patrick Chu first had shoulder pads in place. I thought they made my shoulders look higher, not wider, so they made me look narrower, not stronger. My two favorite coats prior to that one had no padding or roping, so I asked him if he'd try it on this. He took out one shoulder pad so we could compare. I thought that was ingenious, but maybe it's common. I liked the overall effect a lot. And Patrick liked it too. Other than my desire to look less tall and lean, I also wanted to look more approachable. I teach and am told students often find me intimidating. Generally, that's a good thing, but it can be overdone. Of course, clothing and one's appearance in general are only part of the story.
Costi

Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:28 pm

I like your explanations and reasons - they make a lot of sense to me.
uppercase

Wed Dec 08, 2010 3:19 pm

___________________________________________________________________________________________
Re. Alden's post above.

No. No. No.

Let's not misrepresent matters nor derail consideration of the issue at hand.

No one is deliberately choosing poor examples of soft shoulders to make debating points; there is no need. These photos were simply quickly accessible and illustrative of the soft, round shoulder which is, afterall, the subject of this thread. They were not posted as bad examples of coats, only as current examples of soft, round shoulders.

Nor is there any suggestion that style is formulaic, one style fits all, etc. etc..... And certainly a structured shoulder could not be considered an artifice; it seems to me that virtually every coat from the 30s and 40s had structured shoulders. Nor is a structured shoulder suggestive of anyone puffing up their shoulders to appear masculine, is certainly not a feminine embellishment nor could a man be thought to hiding insecurities by wearing a structured coat. Where did that idea come from? Where Gable, Grant, Gabin hiding something...?

Now back to the matter at hand: the myth of the soft shoulder.

Alden is right when he writes that a priori acceptance of a style is counterproductive and one should arrive at one's own conclusions after due research and development. I agree.

Indeed, that is one of the main points of this thread: there is an overwhelming impetus to wear soft clothing today, without much thought if it is the right silhouette for us. It is evident in the fascination with anything Rubinacci or A&S, and other soft houses: witness the outsized number of posts in various forums on the subject of these tailors, though not really of the substance of their silhouette. I am not sure what accounts for this. I can tell you though that I too was caught up in the drama.

And I am here to report, after research and development, that the soft shoulder as often made today is a myth, it's bad looking and looks bad on most men. My opinion.

Allow me to continue.

Will you concede that Windsor's coats made by Scholte are the ne plus ultra of soft tailoring? Well, if you do, like me, admire the coats, this is where soft tailoring began, this is how Scholte tailored a soft suit, this is was what a soft shoulder looked like. I am not talking about the style of Windsor, I am talking about the silhouette of his coats. We have a clearly documented history of the soft coat as made by Scholte for Windsor. And it is fabulous.

Now it is painfully obvious to me that what is called 'soft' today does not remotely resemble what Scholte produced. It does not. Now there are other points in Windsor's coats which also differ from what is produced today, but what is absolutely clear is that Scholte's soft shoulder is not round, it is squared. Scholte's shoulder for Windsor more closely resembles what we would describe today as a lightly structured, square shoulder. Certainly not round, not tight around the shoulder, not overly extended off the shoulder and not pressed down at the sleevehead as is most common today. A tailor could better explain what is technicaly different as I am only describing what I see.

The subject of a squared yet soft shoulder is interesting. A&S does not produce it; they produce a soft, round, extended shoulder. Nor Rubinacci; they produce a shoulder perhaps a touch softer than A&S, even more rounded though less extended. Nor Huntsman; they use a good hunk of padding to achieve a square, high shoulder; not soft, not fluid and malleable, though certainly not uncomfortable, this another myth.

The only soft, square shoulder I've encountered was made for me in Naples. This is a rarely seen shoulder and you will only find it occassionally in Naples and perhaps Sicily. This particular coat was made for me by Gianni Marigliano. There is padding, but not much and this particular shoulder, whose Italian name eludes me at the moment, and its structure, is achieved through a cutting technique and extensive handwork not by piling on the padding. This shoulder is an acquired taste, very particular as the Italians would say, unique, with a bit of rollino; it's not something that I think most men would be comfortable wearing. And it does not resemble what Scholte made for Windsor. But it is a soft, square shoulder. It would be fascinating to dissect a Windsor coat to see what Scholte actually wrought.

And again, Naples is not only soft and round. It is square as well; there is a tradition for this. Not only in the past but also today.

Below is a photo of the famous Neapolitan tailor Nicola Blasi in a soft, square shoulder, illustrating how a more formal shoulder would look, years ago, in Naples, rather than the soft, casual round shoulder commonly associated with that city today.

What about Rubinacci's shoulder?: how has his shoulder developed, or strayed, from the original conception developed by his tailor Attolini some 80 years ago?

Well, if this photo of de Sica (below) is a Rubinacci, it seems that the silhouette has developed in a measured way. Nobody today would wear what de Sica is wearing in the photo; entirely too exaggerated but the DNA seems to there when viewed today.

Yet you will find increasingly today that Rubinacci is making a square shoulder. This is an interesting and natural evolution as Rubinacci expands from its provincial roots in Naples north to cosmopolitan Milan. There is a confluence of tailoring influences now occuring within the Rubinacci sartoria; this directly the result of employing tailors trained to cut a northern Italian silhouette as well as catering to an international clientele which expect a less rustic silhouette, but rather a sharper, more city, bespoke silhouette ala the Milanese school. Rubinacci are simply diversifying and offering the customer a choice. This choice of shoulder treatments was available when I had my suits made in Milan several years ago. And as Drakes London, the tie people, write, the idea is not to look as if you've just arrived on the boat from Naples, a chauvinistic comment in the arch British manner, though with a grain of truth. Perhaps Rubinacci is moving in that direction, though its internet clients are not.

Gentlemen, there is much to be said for directness and honesty among friends as we converse over the internet, exchanging information, ideas and views.

Now, let's simply agree that today's soft silhouette is not what Scholte had in mind. I admire good examples of both soft and structured tailoring; there is a place for both. But if parodies and travesties are foisted upon us, well, that is unacceptable. . Why turn our heads away pretending that they do not exist, that what we regularly see are exceptions, they are poor examples. Who are we fooling?

Standards and expectations have collapsed around us. There is a tidal wave of compromise, subjectivity, uncertainty and acceptance of mediocrity among bespoke clients. This only promotes the downward spiral in the quality and standards of bespoke further and affects each and every one of us...even though there are many references in the past as to what a good looking bespoke suit can be but instead of seeing the bones, the silhouette, we choose to become distracted with the details. If the bones aren't right, the details don't count for much in my view.

Whose fault is this? Well, that could be a subject for a future post.

But if we continue to be evasive in our own assessments, unable to accept, at least consider, to open our eyes, to what is happening in our bespoke commissions, what we are getting, what we are not getting, and how it all stacks up, well, then that really is a pity as we succumb to self deception.

I will close here.

There are a few brilliant photos below (and more posted in "Great Photos") of suits from the past. Structured. Worn elegantly, yes, with style, charisma and panache indeed, but I am only commenting on the silhouettes themselves in this post, They are structured, some more so, some less, some much less. All brilliant. With no excuses.

Cooper

Gable

Grant

Nicola Blasi

de Sica

-------
J.S. Groot

Wed Dec 08, 2010 5:51 pm

Entirely off topic, but look at the trousers Gable are wearing in the third picture! Extraordinary!
Costi

Wed Dec 08, 2010 7:10 pm

To me the question is WHY you wear soft or structured? Because that's how your tailor makes clothes? Because you like the coats of Cary Grant? Because you want to ensure your look expresses masculinity and sharpness (but what masculinity, there are many ways to be masculine...)? Or because you understood something about yourself at some point in life and made a choice that is YOURS, for your particular, personal, subjective reasons - and you like soft or structured for the same reason you choose to wear a cologne and not another.
There are good and bad examples of both and I believe neither is intrinsically better; as soon as you accept such a proposition, you are promptly presented with arguments to the contrary! We may share our experiences and motivations for others to use as inspiration in their own style self-explorations.
We should choose according to our own sensibility what we feel most psychologically comfortable wearing. Like Mr. Boyer wrote earlier, paradoxically looks are hardly a consideration in these matters - instead, perceptions (which are subjective) play a great part. We may have the ideal shape for ballet tights or the ideal face for gavroche caps, but that is not enough to make us wear either.
A hard coat (and I do have a number of "early" examples - why have I never heard of soft-to-hard "converts"? Hmm...) is simply psychologically uncomfortable to me, in spite of being well cut and fitted; I look in the mirror and feel estranged from the image that I see. If there was any doubt left, I am not athletic (but I do have relatively straight and bony shoulders), so for some I may even "look better" in a structured coat with not-so-soft shoulders, but I feel alien in it and that alone has the power to cancel out any confidence inspired by a physical advantage.
Once a personal choice is made for the right reasons, one understands how subjective it is and that the only idea worth preaching is that each man make his choice according to his sensibility and understanding of the psychological basis of what we appreciate in terms if "look".
In other words, beauty is in the eyes of the beholder.
sartorius

Thu Dec 09, 2010 6:19 pm

Uppercase,

I find myself agreeing with almost everything you've said. Clear, well argued and well illustrated. Honesty and directness be praised!

Sartorius
DFR

Thu Dec 09, 2010 9:39 pm

Then I am content to be a victim
alden

Fri Dec 10, 2010 10:45 am

If there is one thing I like to see in a man, it is tenacity.
Will you concede that Windsor's coats made by Scholte are the nec plus ultra of soft tailoring? ……And it is fabulous.
Agreed, they are fabulous.

I have held his work in my own hands, compared four of Windsor’s coats to my own AS style soft coats (not from AS) made within the last ten years. I was surprised to find them nearly identical :

http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/vi ... =32&t=5490

In my opinion, Scholte, Windsor, Astaire and Cooper should be on the short list of "admired" makers or wearers.

I think the point that you make well is that the kind of tailoring made by Scholte, the one we all admire, is almost extinct and there are very few practitioners of merit who have the DNA of his style in their brains, and hands. Most are retired or have passed away. Over the years I have watched these men expire. The fact that their knowledge was not being passed on is a (national) disgrace (another subject.)
I too was caught up in the drama.

Since you mention it and having followed the generous publication of your wandering through the thorny bespoke landscape, I can say that you have only one soft experience in your CV and that one sadly was rushed, without fittings and made in a cloth that, many tailors and yours truly, advised was not suitable for bespoke tailoring.

I would like to see you have one real experience from a talented tailor who makes in the Scholte style as a foundation for comparison. I wore the kind of cloths you prefer for years before the revelation came to me and I started to discover and build my own sense of style. Real personal experience wearing both styles is useful.

I cannot in good faith include Marigliano (from my own experience) anywhere near a list that even hints at Scholte.

Oh and Blasi was not a soft tailor. There is enough structure in that coat to build Berlusconi's bridge across the Straits of Messina!

And finally there is this picture, from one of the best tailors in the world, that sums up my own personal experience with structure pretty well:

I choose clothes that suit my physique and sense of personal style. That is what I suggest others do as well: whatever that style may be!

Cheers

M Alden
storeynicholas

Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:51 am

That's a very fine Huntsman suit there, Michael.
Costi

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:44 pm

storeynicholas wrote:That's a very fine Huntsman suit there, Michael.
What an eye! :lol:
storeynicholas

Fri Dec 10, 2010 1:49 pm

:wink: I must say that it is amazing how much fervent excitement this topic causes. Michael has just demonstrated that different tailors have different ways of making coats. I think that what is being called 'soft' shoulders work if you have a good square frame. If you have narrow, irregular, boney or sloping shoulders then you might need a bit of structure and gentle wadding (not pads or anything approaching armour plating). Equally, if you have a good figure, a little bit of structure does no harm. But I don't see this subject as worth repealing the 1819 legislation which proscribed trial by battle!
NJS
sartorius

Fri Dec 10, 2010 11:17 pm

The coat Mr Alden is wearing in the above picture isn't bespoke - so hardly a helpful example!
  • Information