Ede and Ravenscroft MTM £595

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

geraldtancw

Sun Nov 21, 2010 5:46 pm

I posted this on StyleForum but didn't get much of a response there - perhaps because it is more American-centric.

I popped into Ede and Ravenscroft to buy an off-the-rack dinner jacket and I ended up ordering two MTM suits as well at £595 each (discounted from £795 during the month of November). Good move? Should I go back and get 2 more?

Measurements taken by tailor on site, made in Mauritius (not their own factory). I was quite impressed with the customization options. No further fitting.
simonc

Sun Nov 21, 2010 8:30 pm

Made to measure success depends on how well you fit the standard block to which you're being fitted, and how competently the fitter works within the constraints. You will often still run up against many of the characteristics that RTW has, such as larger armholes than may be necessary.

I may be being harsh here, but MTM at this price level is not going to get you any handwork or quality increase over a RTW at half the price - it's going to be a factory made garment. I'd also note that (given it's a limited number of factories doing the making) that the price isn't exceptional - Roderick Charles, Gieves & Hawkes and others consistently have offers at this price level.

I would therefore suggest you wait and see how you like the cut and fit of your first two garments. If the special offer finishes, it won't be too long until it is back again. And if you don't like the results it gives you the opportunity to consider your next step - MTM from another retailer, or perhaps full bespoke.
geraldtancw

Mon Nov 22, 2010 8:26 am

Thanks for the advice. I remember reading somewhere that Wensum is the company used by many of the Savile Row houses to manufacture their RTW/MTM, and that Wensum is owned by Gieves & Hawkes. However, G&H seems to be quoting £1000+ for their MTM service.....
Rowly

Mon Nov 22, 2010 10:58 am

I have been told that Gieves M2M is based on their Core-line block and not their more tailored block , as used for their top of the range rtw. Ede, on the other hand, to my mind, has a much more stylish block for their m2m suits. I was tempted to try Ede when their offer was on... but having been seduced by the pleasures of bespoke... I would rather put the money towards another bespoke project. I bought some rtw suits in Ede's sales a while back. I thought they were a great bargain and would do as workhorse suits, especially as I could see the finished product and knew I liked it ( removing the risk of selecting from a swatch and being disappointed ).....If I could rewind, I would have tried to match the cloth and get my tailor to do it. If you are set on m2m, ... you might look at Austin Reed on Regent st..... they also have m2m offers at certain times. I can't comment on the outcome, but they have a wide selection of bunches. Good luck whatever you decide on. Rowly
geraldtancw

Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:30 am

Very good, thanks for the advice!
  • Information