cotton for trousers

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Manself

Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:39 pm

As usual I'm thinking about ordering some more cotton trousers far too late in the summer season to get any use out of them. However, I have no idea where to find any decent fabric. My existing pair are made of 12oz drill that came from Richard Weldon (which is only just thick enough), and someone also suggested that I try Hunt & Wintherbotham. Weldon has abandoned cotton drill altogether and Hunt & Winterbotham has nothing heavier than 9oz. I know that Rubinacci has some decent vintage green cloth (which Luca is frequently photographed wearing) but I'd rather use my regular tailor.

Any other suggestions? Under the circumstances it seems optimistic to mention that I'm also looking for slightly unusual colours - deep green, deep blue and coral, as featured here, but I am.
coral trousers.JPG
couch

Thu Jul 22, 2010 8:54 pm

Mansel, I don't know if you have occasion to travel to New York, but if so, you might consult Beckenstein Men's Fabrics.

I've acquired some very nice heavy cotton drill in dark tan from them (earmarked for MTM gurkha shorts one day). They're a bit flash, and push their shirtings and wool suitings more, but their selection of clothing cottons (including seersuckers) and linens is the best I've run across so far in one place. Our esteemed New York member Mark Seitelman may have more current information, since it's been a while since I stopped in. I can't swear to the darker colors you seek, but they might well have a source.

Please do share any other good sources you uncover.
Last edited by couch on Sat Jul 24, 2010 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ay329

Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:08 am

Have you considered 15oz cotton moleskin?

I commissioned 2 pairs earlier this year and love them...far surpassing the comfort of my corduroy trousers
Will

Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:51 pm

Scabal has a variety of cotton colors in a couple of weights as does H&S.
Manself

Wed Jul 28, 2010 2:00 pm

I made it in to H&S and Scabal today and found, as I feared, thin pickings - both literally and metaphorically. H&S had nothing in drill in a sensible weight (12oz+)and although they did have a brushed button in a couple of nice blues it would only really work as a winter cloth. They were able, however, to show me some nice linens in a range of colours, although they were actually designed for use in upholstery. The irony that H&S, and the other merchants, have restricted the supply of decent-weight cloth to the point that their customers are having suits made in upholstery fabrics seems lost on them. Similarly, when I saw a great pale-blue corduroy in a decent weight was sold out I asked if it would repeated this winter, and told 'No' - the only available colours are sludgy greens and browns.

Scabal's useful drills are also brushed, but they do have a coral in the Ascona range that tallies very closely to the illustration that inspired this search, so thanks for the tip Will.
tteplitzmd

Wed Jul 28, 2010 4:36 pm

Scabal has (had) a nice range of cotton with cashmere in a nice range of colors. As is their custom, no indication of where it is milled (U.K. or Italy). You might want to consider the Italian cottons for trousers, although they may not be as heavy as you'd like. I do like the Italian brushed cottons, which are generally heavier than the plain poplin/twill odd trousers.
  • Information