Michigan, USA: Any bespoke suit tailors?

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Ligament

Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:30 am

Gents,

I'm in a bespoke void here in Michigan. Can anybody please recommend a good bespoke tailor here? I cannot find any. Thank You.
Leonard Logsdail

Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:16 pm

Call Doborah Berkowitz at the headquarters of The Custom Tailors and Designers Association of America. Her telephone number is 856 423 7222, extension 270.

This organization has a list of some of the finest crafstmen in the country. I believe she may be able to help.

Tell her that I gave you her name and number.

Leonard
Phil

Thu Aug 11, 2005 1:32 pm

I know some terrific ones in Toronto -- it is close. And the exchange rate is still favourable. If you plan to visit let me know and I'll provide details.
Ligament

Thu Aug 11, 2005 3:09 pm

Phil wrote:I know some terrific ones in Toronto -- it is close. And the exchange rate is still favourable. If you plan to visit let me know and I'll provide details.
Phil,

Thank you. Please provide me with details. I can make the drive. I will send you a PM with contact information. Best Regards!
Ligament

Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:01 pm

Leonard,

I made contact with the tailors recommended by the association you mentioned. Here is what I found, and I hope it is of some use to others:

Ludwik's Custom Tailors
Sterling Heights, MI
(586) 939-6616

Tailor: Ludwik Labat
Tailor for 50 years, trained in Poland
Completely hand made, hand basted suit made in house with 3 fittings and a wait time of 4-5 weeks: $2000-$2500.
**He mentioned there is not much demand for his services. Sterling Heights, in general, does not have the wealth to support such an artisan, sadly.

Park's Custom Tailoring
Birmingham Michigan
(248) 644-2460

Tailor: Chang Park
Tailor for many years, he is in his 60's
Completely hand made, in house, hand basted, multiple fittings, wait time of a few weeks. Starting price $2000
**A styleforum member told me Mr. Park makes very excellent high quality suits

Paul Cicchini Tailors
Birmingham Michigan
(248) 646-0535

"Bench Grade" Bespoke suits with multiple fittings, made by hand in house starts at $3500 with a wait of 5 weeks or so

There was mention of a tailor in detroit:
Cornell's Tailor
Detroit, Michigan
Tailor: Cornell Frye
--I have no information on this tailor. I try to avoid Detroit city on fear of violent death.

Best Regards.
Leonard Logsdail

Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:21 pm

Paul Cicchini is a true master tailor. Probably not many know that there is a Tailors Hall of Fame - well Paul was one of the first to be recommended to it.

I have seem much of his woprk and he is a perfectionist. Semi-retired now, but worth a visit before you kick yurself for not doing so before.

Pak, too, I have met many times. He makes a very good suit. I just have noit seen so much of his work.

Leonard
TCN

Fri Oct 14, 2005 3:07 am

Sorry to be late to this, but I do not think Mr. Cicchini does much of the work at the shop that bears his name, and I have been disappointed with his replacement there. Perhaps Mr. Cicchini can be specially requested? Note that the shop is closed for renovations right now.

Mr. Park is still active, and produces a wonderful garment.
clarinetplayer

Sun Oct 30, 2005 9:57 pm

Ligament wrote:Leonard,

I made contact with the tailors recommended by the association you mentioned. Here is what I found, and I hope it is of some use to others:

Ludwik's Custom Tailors
Sterling Heights, MI
(586) 939-6616

Tailor: Ludwik Labat
Tailor for 50 years, trained in Poland
Completely hand made, hand basted suit made in house with 3 fittings and a wait time of 4-5 weeks: $2000-$2500.
**He mentioned there is not much demand for his services. Sterling Heights, in general, does not have the wealth to support such an artisan, sadly.

Best Regards.

Thanks to Ligament's excellent research, I visited Ludwik Labaj and was very impressed. With old world charm and manners, he patiently answered any question I had about creating a bespoke suit. I was so convinced by his dedication and expertise that I ordered a bespoke suit from him. He will do all the cutting and sewing. The cost will be about what I have been paying for made to measure from other shops. He is a real gem.
  • Information