Paul Stuart New York

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

tteplitzmd

Thu Dec 17, 2009 2:46 pm

Mark,

The sales force is so well trained that as you migrate throughout the store you are asked every 10 feet if you need help. Highest sales staff/customer ratio in the industry. I thought the family sold a controlling interest to a Japanese company years ago.
couch

Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:23 pm

Mark Seitelman wrote:Paul Stuart is one of New York's great stores.

It has held the line of good taste and formal service. The store is independently owned and has always been in the same family. The owner runs the store with an iron fist. For example, salesmen must always stand and have their coats buttoned. Salesmen always wear ties and coats.

Its top of the line English shoes, which I believe are called Stuart's Best, are made by Grenson. Special order is available. In other words, you can order a stock shoe in a different leather with perhaps some variation in the detailing.
Mark, these are called "Stuart's Choice" and that's what I was referring to. Indeed I was able to mix and match last, leather, color, sole type, and detailing. On sale the price was competitive (compared to C&J's hefty upcharge for MTO) and included free sized trees. The stock width range is greater on more lasts as well, which is crucial for me.
TC11201

Sun Dec 20, 2009 2:13 am

couch wrote:
Mark, these are called "Stuart's Choice" and that's what I was referring to. Indeed I was able to mix and match last, leather, color, sole type, and detailing. On sale the price was competitive (compared to C&J's hefty upcharge for MTO) and included free sized trees. The stock width range is greater on more lasts as well, which is crucial for me.
+1 on the above. The Stuart's Choice MTO program is an excellent program that for some reason does not get much attention - I only found out about it when I was questioning one of the salesmen and he mentioned it about ten minutes into the conversation. Grenson-made (as others have noted) at a significantly higher level of manufacture and finish than any of Grenson's self-branded lines, with many options as enumerated above. IIRC, the upcharge is only $60 or $70 and they are generally able to turn the orders around in two months or so (depending on time of year). Given the quality of the shoes, which to me are quite close to Edward Green RTW and base MTO, the PS MTO program is very attractive.
  • Information