Buttoning the 6 x 3 Polo coat

"The brute covers himself, the rich man and the fop adorn themselves, the elegant man dresses!"

-Honore de Balzac

Lance

Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:54 pm

Hello Michael - I have attempted to view your numerous videos without success. I am particularly interested in the polo videos yet when I view them (as well as others), I receive only intermittent audio and no movement in the video. Am I the only one and can anyone suggest a remedy? By the way, I've tried two different computers with the same results. Thank you
Costi

Sun Dec 06, 2009 2:05 pm

I think I wrote this before somewhere on the LL, but my best looking 3B roll to 2 jacket (a hefty dark blue gabardine blazer) is one initially cut as a standard 3B whose lapels, with time and never buttoning the top button, unrolled all the way to the second. It is the most "authentic" and natural 3B roll to 2 that I have. Of course, if I had the lapels re-ironed to their innitial position, this lower roll would (could) be cancelled.
On the other hand, coats cut from the outset to roll to the waist button, but with an extra buttonhole showing through (or right in the roll of) the lapel never look as good because it shows that the lapel was cut to roll there (i.e. below the top button). Of course, the difference is subtle and not many will notice it, but it's there nevertheless if you look at it side by side with a "natural roll" coat.
Therefore, in my experience, if you like the "3 roll to 2" look it is always better to have the coat (or overcoat, in this case) cut to button all the way to the top and just not iron the lapels into position: they will naturaly tend to roll to the button that is most often buttoned.

PS: Michael, the more I see this overcoat, the more I love it!
JRLT

Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:50 pm

Michael,

That is such a beautiful coat. It has a lovely insouciance about it.

Is the fabric commercially available? If not, is there any chance of opening a subscription in the cloth club?

Cheers,

James
alden

Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:15 pm

Is the fabric commercially available? If not, is there any chance of opening a subscription in the cloth club?
We have a project to remake this cloth in the LL Heavyweight group. The subscription is at 40 meters and we need to get to 60 for a 755 grams oatmeal and brown herringbone Donegal overcoating.

Please contact me if you are interesting in participating in this initiative.

Cheers

Michael Alden
andreyb

Mon Dec 07, 2009 7:04 pm

Lance wrote:Hello Michael - I have attempted to view your numerous videos without success. I am particularly interested in the polo videos yet when I view them (as well as others), I receive only intermittent audio and no movement in the video. Am I the only one and can anyone suggest a remedy? By the way, I've tried two different computers with the same results. Thank you
Lance, probably saving the videos on hard drive and then viewing them in a video player, instead of a browser, might help.

There are two suggestions in this thread: http://www.thelondonlounge.net/forum/vi ... =42&t=9317.

Andrey
Lance

Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:00 pm

Thank you, Andrey, I'll try both suggestions.
Suburban

Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:36 pm

Lance, if you can see the HD is on, tap that and turn it off with your mouse or touch keypad. That might work.
Lance

Tue Dec 08, 2009 7:48 pm

Thank you Suburban, that did the trick!
alden

Sun Dec 20, 2009 9:19 pm

We have a project to remake this cloth in the LL Heavyweight group. The subscription is at 40 meters and we need to get to 60 for a 755 grams oatmeal and brown herringbone Donegal overcoating.
As regards the heavyweight Donegal subscription, the weaver has told me that he can accept two color combinations to get to 60m. So the one offering is the brown and cream herringbone many of you have applied for and also the oatmeal and cream herringbone as seen in the Polo video.

Cheers

Michael
Manself

Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:28 pm

So now there are two donegal cloths available? This is clearly good, if expensive, news. Mr Alden, please put me down for enough of each cloth to make one overcoat (ie two overcoats in total).
alden

Sun Dec 27, 2009 2:03 pm

We are now ready to place the order for the Heavyweight Donegal cloth. I will post some notice on the Cloth Club to that effect soon. If you would like to participate, please send me your orders within the next two weeks after which I will place the final order.

Cheers

Michael Alden
  • Information